pre heresy army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pre heresy army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pre heresy army

Hi guys, hope this is the right place for this, ive ummed and aaahed between here and projects..

im starting a preheresy army, probably lunar wolves or word bearers, i want to use the forgeworld armours but ive got no idea about what armour/bolter types the legions had access to at the time? im guessing iron armour, but also bolter types and dreadnaughts.

id appreciate any help you can give or links to where i can find this info.

cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

'Maximus' mk4 armour entered mass production prior to the heresy and was widespread when the conflict started - especially amongst the traitor legions.
    Mk5 was a lower tech, lower maintanance suit put into production during the heresy itself and was more common amongst loyalists than traitors.

Terminator armour was around during the heresy but a number of weapons were not - thunderhammers were dreadnought only, and there were no stormshields, stormbolters, cyclone missile launchers, or assault cannons.
    Dreadnoughts were used, but not much is mentioned about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the reply helps a lot.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    'Maximus' mk4 armour entered mass production prior to the heresy and was widespread when the conflict started - especially amongst the traitor legions.
    Mk5 was a lower tech, lower maintanance suit put into production during the heresy itself and was more common amongst loyalists than traitors.

Terminator armour was around during the heresy but a number of weapons were not - thunderhammers were dreadnought only, and there were no stormshields, stormbolters, cyclone missile launchers, or assault cannons.
    Dreadnoughts were used, but not much is mentioned about them.
    I thought a terminators were before the heresy.Isnt dear old abby been mentioned as wearing terminator armor during the first heresy book?

And dont tell me those ridiculous converted dreds with TH have a fluff credence...

EDIT:Corvus armor FTW!
    Last edited by pilot00; November 18th, 2011 at 23:35.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kloma View Post
    im starting a preheresy army, probably lunar wolves or word bearers, i want to use the forgeworld armours but ive got no idea about what armour/bolter types the legions had access to at the time? im guessing iron armour, but also bolter types and dreadnaughts.
    If I remember, all the armour types up to Mk5 were available by the time of the heresy, so it depends how late you want to. Since the only major difference between mark 5 and mark 7 was the exposed power cabling, which many techmarines might have jury rigged or fixed anyway, it doesn't really matter.

What's clear from the art, however, is that there was much less standardization in the pre-heresy era. I'd use this as an excuse to experiment and convert, as that's part of what makes pre heresy armies look really unique on the board. It's a more 'mythic' era than the current 'gritty' 40k fluff, so if you think something looks suitably awesome just roll with it and worry about the specifics later.

The eternal excuse is 'an artificer did it'.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 19th, 2011 at 00:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another difference between Mk 5 and Mk7 is the insignia on the armor. The use of the aquila on the armor didn't occur until after the heresy. The only legion allowed to wear the aquila on their armor were the emperor's children (which isn't one of the options you listed as you wanted to run). As for bolters, the current bolters you see with GW kits are "Godwyn" pattern bolters. The bolters used during the great crusade and the heresy were the Phobos and Umbra pattern. If you are looking to be true to the pre-heresy style of the army, Forgeworld also makes these kits along with the armors. Also, forgeworld makes special weapons, heavy weapons, and character conversion sets for your squads.

Now onto dreadnoughts. It seems like the Contemptor pattern was the most common during the Great Crusade and the Heresy. From all the other material i've seen, I haven't seen dreadnoughts commonly seen in current material (Mk IV and Mk V, Mk IV has the head somewhat exposed and MK V has the armored cockpit look). You could get away with running Mk IVs (GW's Venerable dread), but again, this is preference.

As for terminator armor, it looked significantly different than current terminator armor. If I recall correctly, the armor during the crusade and the heresy was called "centurion pattern." There are differences between the two, primarily the should pads and the helmets. If you take a gander here, you can see the aesthetic differences. Also, their helmets look more like the current grey knights, so that might be a place to start.
    Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, Wargames & Miniatures News: Bell of Lost Souls: 40k Hobby- Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons Terminators

I like that you are trying to build a pre-heresy army. I don't see many pre-heresy armies now days, probably due to economic times. I have a lot of pre-heresy materials, so if you need more help, don't hesitate to ask.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    I thought a terminators were before the heresy
    They started to be used during the crusade.

And dont tell me those ridiculous converted dreds with TH have a fluff credence...
    Used to be an option for chaos dreadnoughts IIRC. A number of other terminator weapons (storm shields, assault cannons, cyclone launchers) are miniaturised versions of technology taken from the contemptor pattern dreads which were developed shortly before the start of the heresy.

The cheapest/easiest pre-heresy army to make is probably the thousand sons - using dark angels kits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

appreciate the help guys,

i'm aware of fluff from the horus heresy book series, emperors children are out because to me they're oddly common at tournaments and the like.

i'm thinking iron hands, as mentioned earlier, the "artificer did it" seems like a great excuse for me to practice my conversion and freehand work.

were the iro hands always black and white/silver? thats the only downside for me, and what pushes me towards another chapter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, the Iron Hands colors and heraldry hasn't changed from the great crusade to now. I see some difficulties in creating an Iron Hands army, as you would need a lot of bionic parts for conversion. While the forgeworld pre-heresy character set has quite a few, every model would require at least the left hand to be removed and replaced with a bionic (it is the tradition of the Iron Hands to remove their left hand and replace it with a bionic, bringing them closer to their primarch). I see a problem trying to model guys with both hands on the bolters. Pre-heresy Death Guard, Sons of Horus, and Iron Warriors are also good options.

While the Horus Heresy book series is a good guide, the Horus Heresy Art books are better at showing what the Astartes looked like at the time. This is a must for any fan of the Heresy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i could maybe use necron hands? not sure, don't want to paint black and white anyway so that's out

i think ill go with 2 land raider proteus, and iron armour. maybe some of the deimos pattern rhinos that FW have released too.

what were iron warriors like pre-heresy? always a fan and current rumour suggests it might be a worthwhile playable army as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast