The 100 Swords of Vaul - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 100 Swords of Vaul

The legend about the 100 swords of Vaul is known from the Eldar Codex, but in order to be sure -that I remember it right- I will repeat it:

I recall that Khaine -the War God- had captured two of the Eldar Gods after some sort of dishonour and his everyday activities involved -you guessed it- their torture. Vaul -the Smith God- couldn't stand it and begged the King of the Eldar Gods -Asuryan, was his name I think- to allow him to help, something that the King of the Gods had not allowed before. He agreed and so Vaul went to meet Kaela Mensha Khaine. They finally reached an agreement, in which for the freedom of the two captive Gods, Khaine demanded that Vaul was to deliver him 100 swords crafted from his hand. Vaul's masteries where well renown and to be in the possession of even one weapon created by the Smith God was considered a great honour.
    Vaul started instantly working, but as the day of the exchange approached the Smith God could not fullfill his end of the bargain. So he successfully created 99 blades and to cover this sortage of the one sword, he took another sword, that wasn't crafted by him and hoped that the Bloody God would not find out. And so the day came and Khaine released his captives without knowing that he had been deceived. Soon enough though he found out of the trickery an grew vengefull.He instantly waged war against Vaul, who had completed the 100th blade, which turned to be the most powerfull of all of Vaul's works. The conflict that followed was of epic proportions, but at the end Khaine emerged victorious and as a result he took Vaul prisoner -who despite his superior equipment could not hope to defeat the Blood God- and Khaine also took the powerfull blade for his own.

That's the part which I recall from the codex, but then I read the Dawn of War Omnibus -Blood Ravens, is the alternative title- and at the Dawn of War: Tempest part the story appears again on a different context:

Apparently here Khaine, after consulting with the Laughing God and his Harlequins, commissioned Vaul to create for him 100 blade-wraiths-swords that could kill the gods themselves, in order to face the threat of Kaelis Ra -Lord of the c'tans and leader of endless hordes of the necrontyr- (obviously the Necron Gods come here in play). After trickery and deceit the Eldar Gods succeeded at making some of the c'tan abandon Kaelis Ra, who in turn slaughtered his own kin to bring order back to his ranks.
    Khaine led 100 of his finest warriors in a final stand against Kaelis Ra, the Eldar formed a circle and faced the hordes of the necrontyr -that filled the entire horizon- for 7 days and 7 nights, never wavering and never getting tired. Each and every one of them was armed with one of the sword-wraiths crafted by Vaul and so they smited down wave after wave of the silvered necrontyr.
    But Vaul had tricked Khaine, leaving him vulnerable to the wrath of the Nightbringer, he who wielded the scythe of death himself. One blade was imperfect, it's energies where unstable and the fated warrior that wielded this blade was called Lanthrilaq the Swift. He suddenly grew tired and drained from his energy, his face turned pale and his features became gaunt. finally the sword-wraith cracked and in an explosion of darkness -don't ask me how this is possible- the blade fell from his hand, he was slain and the ring was broken.

The rest is irrelevant for my part, since I am only curious which from the two versions is -well- the "true" one. I can see how this two parts may fit together, but my problem lies that in one case the swords had a specificall role -kill the necrontyr-, while in the codex version they actually funktion as a ransom. So, does anyone knows which from both is correct or nobody made it to the end of this thread?
    Just for the record I am holding the book the Dawn of War Omnibus, but I am not in possession of the codex, so there is a chance that my codex version may be wrong or incomplete. The book version is on purpose incomplette since I don't whant to blow its contents so lightly in the web.

"Men of Tanith, do you want to live forever?" Battlecry of the Tanith First and Only

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got the codex version correct.
    I haven't read the DoW omnibus (yet). But I take it those books are derived from the videogame series with the same name? In that case I'd take codex over the books as
    a) Black library tends to bend established fluff like a tornado bends trees.
    b) Dawn of War (videogames) is full of plot holes and incorrect fluff.

It might be that the new Eldar codex will have this 'new' version as in the book, but for now I would follow the codex.

BR

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Codex version is the official version. Codex fluff always takes precedence over Black Library fluff, and the Dawn of War stuff is based on a video game made by a non-Games Workshop company, so all fluff associated with it is already suspect. ESPECIALLY if that version of the 100 Swords comes from C.S. Goto's Dawn of War, which means it gets thrown out the window without a second thought, alongside the Razorback that turns into a Land Raider and then back to a Razorback IN ONLY ONE PAGE.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    alongside the Razorback that turns into a Land Raider and then back to a Razorback IN ONLY ONE PAGE.
    Hums an old song:Transformers,more than meets the eye....

Dont tell me Marius you dont like multylasers too?
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

I like multilasers. Just not multilasers as envisioned by C.S. Goto. Or Eldar envisioned by Goto, or Blood Ravens, or anything else he's managed to sully by getting his dirty little fingers all over.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    I like multilasers. Just not multilasers as envisioned by C.S. Goto. Or Eldar envisioned by Goto, or Blood Ravens, or anything else he's managed to sully by getting his dirty little fingers all over.
    Come on now,admit it.You like multilasers on Carnifexes,in fact i believe thats what drew you into 40k
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've made me curious, what's all this 'transforming Land Raider' and Las Cannon Carnifex' stuff?

BR

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Razhiel View Post
    You've made me curious, what's all this 'transforming Land Raider' and Las Cannon Carnifex' stuff?

BR
    Multiraser carnifex.I cant remember which novel by G.S. Goto it was,but you were reading about a spacemarine battle were they deployed a LR.Then a few pages later the LR was a razorback for no aparent reason.And on another one a Carnifex was using a multilaser somehow...

Oh and lets not forget the D cannons firing bullets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

355 (x8)

The Dawn of War novels by C.S. Goto is where the magically transforming Land Raider/Razorback is to be found. And it's not within a few pages, IT'S ON THE SAME PAGE that it changes and then changes back. And you know it's not a typo, because he freakin' describes both vehicles, so either Goto is an idiot or does no kind of editing of his work, which means he doesn't give a crap. I believe the latter, as in the second Dawn of War novel he talks about how the Blood Ravens take an Imperial Guardsman OVER TWENTY and turn him into a Space Marine, despite the fact that the process only works on males younger than 16, usually around 12 or so.

Then in other books, we have the aforementioned multilaser-wielding Carnifex, former Eldar Exarchs that are allowed to keep their weapons/helmets as souvenirs (at least three things wrong with THAT sentence), apparently the Alaitoc Craftworld hasn't had an Avatar for the last thousand years, and so on, and so on. Goto sucks balls at writing and has less than a basic grasp of the 40k universe and did little to no research before writing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is so much idiocy in that man I can't believe it :o
    He's like the George W. Bush of Black Library!
    Always good for a nice chuckle though, thanks guys for explaining it all . I actually almost had bough a novel from him! luckily I went for a Novel from Gav Thorpe.

BR
    Last edited by Brother Razhiel; March 20th, 2012 at 22:19.

+ Reply to Thread