Angels Of Atonement - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

The Third Company

The Third Company of the Angels of Atonement are a typical battle-hardened company of the Angels. Numbering the typical 100, they are assigned to the Space Marine strike cruiser “Hammer of Woes?. They patrol the eastern frontier of the Angel’s space constantly, are often the first to respond when trouble rears. Their mere presence has often been enough to cow a rebellious world. When it has not, they have had to fight, and they are veterans of war against many aliens, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Orks. A lot of the time they have been called on to cleanse heretics, and they do so with firm resolve, chanting their litanies to the Emperor.

Hammer of Woe

The Hammer of Woe is an Adeptus Astartes fleet asset that has seen much action. Used for rapid deployment of the Third company, she carries all their support equipment and vehicles. This includes their Predator and Whirlwind tanks, as well as the command vehicle for the Third Company, the massive Landraider "Resolution". Commanded by Uriah, she has seen much ship to ship combat over the centuries and proved that landing marines is not all she is good for. The notches on her hull include a Chaos Idolator class raider she trapped and destroyed in the Nosus XI purgation, and more recently the Tau Defender class starship she destroyed in the Nimbosa reclaimation. The Tau vessel was destroyed by the genius of Commander Uriah who utilised a marine boarding party to seize her bridge, and cause an engine overload. The sight of the Hammer causes fear in those would betray the Imperium.

++ Begin Dramatis Personae ++

Angels of Atonement

Addoran, Chapter Master
    Addoran is the Supreme Grandmaster of the Angels of Atonement, an incredible strategist that causes reminders of the supreme tactician that was the Lion himself. Known as the “Shining Blade?, due to the sword he was presented at his inauguration by Azrael, high leader of the Dark Angels himself. The blade he carries is a relic from the Great Crusade, a long white sword that symbolises purity that was made for a Master of The Deathwing long ago. Addoran has gained a reputation for leading by example, and has bested all who would stand in his way.

Third Company

Captain Saul, Leader of the Third Company
    Saul is leader of the Third Company of the Angels, and has been so for some time. Notable for his bravery and steadfastness, he is the example of the honourable warrior. He fights for his chapters doctrines, and often his stratagems are only revealed to the enemy on the end of chainsword. He has a personal hatred for chaos, and will never let a traitor escape his justice.

Chaplain Nathanael, Master of Sanctity
    Nathaniel is chaplain to the Third Company, and right hand to Saul. Together they consult, plan, and decide the actions of their force. While they are not afraid to argue, and have on occasions disagreed vehemently to the actions they should take, they are united in their devotion to the chapter.

Commander Uriah, Captain of the strike cruiser “Hammer of Woe?
    Uriah has the honour of commanding “The Hammer? as she is known to her crew and occupants. A space marine captain, he knows the value of the Hammer lies in the company of marines she carried, and his role is to allow their landing. He is no amateur at fleet combat however.

Shas’o Vior'la Dem'lock
    A great leader of the Tau, he has gained a grudge against the Third Company. During the Nimbosa reclaimation, the Hammer took part in the destruction of a fleet fuel base and successfully caused a Tau fleet withdrawal. The fleet was commanded by Shas’o Sa’cea Demlock, and the Greater Good suffered much for his failure. Determined to prove his devotion to the Ethereal Caste, Shas’o Sa’cea Demlock is hunting the Angels of Atonement ceaselessly.

Gideon ? (Rank unknown)
    Gideon is a mysterious enigma. A dark figure seen brooding on many worlds, he has eluded capture and identification many times. It is known he is one of the fallen due to the ancient suit of power armour he wears. Beyond this everything is unknown. What he is attempting is a mystery, but the Dark Angels have decided to stop it before it happens. While he has never actually acted directly against the Angels of Atonement, he has some dark agenda which they are duty bound to stop.

Rogue Trader Esradel
    A consistent annoyance, he has long been seen around the Angel’s territory, “doing a bit of this, a bit of that?. On several occasions he has promised them some wild treasure, be it STC, alien tech, lost geneseed. The closest they ever got was when they recovered some STC print outs in support of Esradel’s own force. Unfortunately, the shine was taken off a bit when it was discovered the print outs were instructions for drilling rigs, not the bounty that was hoped for. While much praise was heaped upon the Angels by the Adeptus Mechanicus for recovering holy relics, it was not the advanced weapon systems they had envisioned. Whenever Esradel shows his face, trouble is not far behind.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

This is some updated fluff with added Dramatis Personae. Credit goes for Phoenicia for me stealing their character list idea. If you havent read my previous posts, this might not make sense, so if you here is my earlier background work for those who havent already seen it.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +TRANSMITTED: Triphlex Phall
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +RECEIVED: Talasa Prime
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +DESTINATION: Terra
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +DATE: 2456139.M41
    + + + + + + + + + + +TELEPATHIC DUCT: Astropath Opus Borshak
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + +REF: Inq/54320958940324323432/LA
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +AUTHOR: Inquisitor Jindrak
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +SUBJECT: Angels of Atonement Marine Chapter
    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +THOUGHT: Have Trust in Suspicion

And now in our quick run down on the marine chapters, we come to the Angels of Atonement, information is sparse. I've had agents investigating them for some time, as with all chapters in this area, as per your instructions. They are a reclusive chapter, but being a third founding Dark Angel’s successor chapter, that is not unusual. It’s hard to gain too much information on them, so a lot of information I do have tends to come from lower class, second hand sources and rumours.

Originally they were a chapter located in the Ultima Tempestus, but in the M37 they moved to their present position on the Eastern Fringes, setting up their homeworld in the Delphan system. We did not request this, neither did anyone we are aware of in the Imperial Command. Their reasons, according to them, were to re-establish order in the wake of the Hive Fleets, and maintain and increase the Dark Angels presence out on the fringe. They quickly moved their entire chapter and equipment under their master Addoran, and created a fortified monastery as per standard marine doctrine.

However, rumours and sources tell us that the Dark Angel leadership, the mysterious “Inner Circle? themselves ordered their redeployment. It seems whatever mysterious agenda the Dark Angels have is not very successful or behind schedule on the Eastern Fringe, and the Angels of Atonement were deployed here to speed things up. It’s pretty established the Dark Angels and their successors are hunting something, though as you know they fox the Inquisition to the nature of their search. Their difficulties, so close to the outer reaches of the Astronomicon, are understandable. The depredations of Ork and Tyranid and the sheer difficulty of travel make it unlikely in the extreme that they could be successful searching for something here. Anyway, in light of what I know, I’ve recommended increased (discreet) surveillance of them, can’t be to careful.

For their credit though, they seem to have done much for The Emperor since their deployment here. They re-established order in the systems surrounding Delphan, and fought numerous battles under Adeptus Terra request. Due to their proximity to Ultramar, the nearest Ork empire (Charadon) has been consistantly destabilised, so there is very little Ork activity in their area of operations.

N.B. I have tried to have communications between the Ultramarines and the Angels monitored to warn us of any heresy, but have been unsuccessful so far.

Anyway, due to this, most of their battles have been against rogue imperial elements, heretics, those who would leave the Emperor’s guiding light. With this in view, their tactics have diverged significantly from normal Dark Angel’s tactics, they now seem to place a much more heavy emphasis on infiltration, stealth, destabilisation and hit and run, before a main attack occurs, cleansing forces with chainswords.

An example of this can be seen in the Quira subsystem, were the best observed actions of the Angel’s of Atonements were overseen by us. Facing the traitor 37th Catachan Regiment, who were a large heavily mechanised force, a company of Angels landed and infiltrated to set up camp inside the traitor position. What happened best is best shown by our recording of a deserter we captured.

+ + + + BEGIN VOX RECORD + + + +

Traitor Guardsman: I tell you we did not know of the Officer’s plans. I am as loyal to the Emperor as you are. You’ve got to…

Agent Rasman: Silence heretic. We know all about your little insurrection, and we care not, you are forfeit already. Tell us about the Angels of Atonement.

Traitor Guardsman: Those devils? That’s who they were?

Agent Rasman: Yes, tell us your observations.

Traitor Guardsman: Well we’d set up camp on the peninsula, when strange happenings started. Strange alerts going off, men found with their necks broken, as if from a fall. We couldn’t get any sleep. Our perimeter was secure, we checked it and rechecked it. It was weird, it was like we were under attack by ghosts, Emperor help us.

Agent Rasman: You’ve already forsaken the Emperor’s guiding light heretic. Anyway, tell me of the Angels.

Traitor Guardsman: The Angels? We never saw no Angels. Thats all we knew, we were actually happy to be moved out to fight the Solan Dragoons. As least that’s an enemy we could fight, not some monster lurking outside your bunker in the night.

+ + + + END VOX RECORD + + + +

As you can see, we never have a lot to go on, these marines are pretty mysterious. They have fought on occasion when we have requested their assistance. Notable engagements include their contribution to Rogue Trader Esradel’s force which succeeded in returning with some STC print outs for us. While the print outs were regarding the construction of drilling rigs, we cannot argue they performed admirably, despite refusing to fight alongside ratlings for some unfathomable reason.

One of their engagements was even declared an Honorous Libris by the Imperium. This was their action supporting the Nimbosa reclaimation. When the Ultramarines dropped on Nimbosa, they risked exposing their fleets to a nearby exploratory expedition from the Tau Sa’cea sept. In a daring maneuver, two strike cruisers evaded Tau patrols, and attacked the Tau fleet’s fuel base. The two marine companies obliterated the Tau’s fuel supplies, and the force was withdrawn for refuelling in time for the Ultramarines drop on Nimbosa.

In light of all this, I have catalogued the heresy potential for these marines as “low?. After all they are Dark Angels, and heretic Dark Angels is unlikely in the extreme. We’ve got them montiored, and they are pretty regular with tithes and geneseed submission. Now onto the next file you will receive from me, it should be entitled Scythes of The Emperor Marine Chapter. Stand by to receive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Addoran is the Supreme Grandmaster of the Angels of Atonement, an incredible strategist that causes reminders of the supreme tactician that was the Lion himself. .
    Does that mean he also suffers from the flaw in the Lion's character hinted at in "Angels of Darkness" by Gav Thorpe? That might be a very interesting flaw to his character. Is Jospeh trying to get Addoran to reach the same realisation about the Lion, perhaps?

Shas’o Sa’cea Demlock
    A great leader of the Tau, he has gained a grudge against the Third Company. During the Nimbosa reclaimation, the Hammer took part in the destruction of a fleet fuel base and successfully caused a Tau fleet withdrawal. The fleet was commanded by Shas’o Sa’cea Demlock, and his prestige suffered much for his failure. However he knows who was responsible for his defeat, and he knows their destruction would satisfy him greatly.
    Unless Sa'cea Demlock is a member of that breakaway Tau group, it seems a bit un-Tau like for him to be satisfied by the destruction of an enemy, given their obsession with the Greater Good.

Perhaps it should read "The fleet was commanded by Shas’o Sa’cea Demlock, and the Greater Good suffered much for his failure. Determined to prove his devotion to the Ethereal Caste, Shas’o Sa’cea Demlock is hunting the Angels of Atonement ceaselessly."

“Joseph ? (Rank unknown)
    Although Joseph is biblical, I would probably have gone for a more flamboyant name, but my golden rule of editting is not to demand changes because you don't like a name...

Unfortunately, the shine was taken off a bit when it was discovered the print outs were instructions for drilling rigs, not the bounty that was hoped for.
    Aren't all STC printouts holy relics? Even for something as "simple" as a printout would give the Angels of Atonement an excellent bargaining position with the Adeptus Mechanicus. Are Angel squads tooled up with potent wargear as a token of Mechanicus gratitude?
    My secret, shameful desire is a three Ordo army...

(I know I'm bad...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

You've already had my thoughts on the Inquisitorial report, and made some nice adjustments. Tighten up the language a bit more and that report will be perfect.

The dramatis personae raised a few questions though (but it is a mighty fine idea, congrats to Pheonicia for bringing it up&#33

a long white sword that symbolises purity that was made for a Master of The Deathwing long ago
    Did they have a Deathwing during the Great Crusade? I know the bone-coloured armour didn't come until later, but did the company exist in itself?

"and often his stratagems are only revealed to the enemy on the end of chainsword"
    Change this to "on the end of the Shining Blade." It's more appropriate to him, and shows he's a hands-on commander (if that's the kind of commander you want, of course).

"and he knows their destruction would satisfy him greatly."
    Slight grammar point here (yes, I'm a grammar Nazi); take out "he knows". It sounds less brooding it's true, but to know something will satisfy you is kinda stating the obvious.

"Free Trader Esradel"
    It's Rogue Trader.

Apart from that, that's some mighty fine fluff you've got there. A bit of polishing and it'll be sublime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

Many thanks Xerxes, and topic will be edited according to your suggestions.

On your suggestion about changing to Shining Sword makes sense, except Saul does not carry the Shining Blade, it is the Chapter master that does, so good idea, wrong guy
    On your question about the Deathwing, all the information I can find suggests there was a Deathwing before the Heresy, Lion el Jonson was renowned for attacks by Terminator companies. The only difference being that the Deathwing armour was black, and yes I do know that a White Sword with armour that would have been black (if you think in depth and picky enough to notice) is a bit strange, but simply but I prefer a White Sword. Black swords are getting a bit common (Emperor's Champion, Sword of Secrets)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Fair enough. I don't know enough about the Dark Angels to really call on what their pre-Heresy composition was. They do seem to have insane amounts of tactical dreadnought armour though. Disturbing.

And I agree with you on the white sword thing. Particularly when daemonswords are factored in.

+ Reply to Thread