Race Alliances - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Alliances

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I was reading the 'In the end...' thread, and, that got me thinking. While there are no true 'good' races in 40k, there's kind of a good 'side' and a bad 'side', along with a bunch in between,
    The 'good' side would be the Imperium, the Eldar and the Tau.
    The Imperium because, well, at the moment, they're just trying not to die, and, when you're writing about your species, you want them to be at least somewhat-good.
    The Eldar because they know what's really happening, and because they could see the wisdom of allies and whatnot when needed.
    The Tau because they're not actually trying to conquer the galaxy, just unite it. Sure, it happens to be under their banner, but, hey, I'll gladly accept a Tau dominion!

The 'bad' side would be the Tyranids and the Necrons. See aforementioned 'In the end...' thread.

The 'other' side would be the Dark Eldar, Chaos and Orks.
    I think, if REALLY, REALLY pressed, the Dark Eldar and Chaos would unite with their parent race, only for the reason that 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Orks...I think they'd just screw around, blow stuff up, attack everybody, etc, because they're Orks. I could see some of the more farsighted ones joining in an alliance, but not for long.

Now, would the Tyanids and the Necrons unite...now that I can't say anything about.

Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you evidently have missed much fluff for certain races.

let me start with the imperium. you could liken it to a paraniod maniac. you have to use hypnotised warrior monks to do your dirty work, who believe they are doing it for a 'god'. you got inquistors blowing up entire planet if they meet someone that has remote pychic powers or is vaguely heretical. by which i mean, someone with great healing powers and preaches only good to other man, even mutants, will earn him and his entire planet a one way ticket to exterminatus.

Eldar. petty and corrupt. they are also paraniod pyscho, but with special powers. they would sacrifice pretty much everything and everyone else to make sure they are on top at the end of it. eldrad diverted ghazghkull's Wagh! to armageddon simply because if he hadn't, a small eldar colony would have lost maybe 1000 eldar.

Tau. read killteam, with kage. all you need to know about why they can't be good.

as to dark eldar and chaos, no they wouldn't help each other, they would rather just kill the people they hate, eeven if it costs them their lives. a very common chaos/ dark eldar plot hook.

of course this is all perspective, but you can't make sweeping statements like that without thinking of some of the thing that the supposed good guys do in 40k to *ensure* their sucess.

Yeah, this is excellent! TY Angel of Rust!

Graktoof the vile, victor of 1000 battles, partial credit to 1000 more, and sore loser about the other 8000...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

applebone, I agree with you on most of what you have stated but I must say that an Inquisitor would never expose a planet to exterminatus unless he felt that all hope was lost (complete Tyranid engulfment or absolute Chaos taint). Hell, Slaanesh was awakened on the planet of Tallarn! And Tallarn still stands (or whatever a planet does ).

As for the topic in question...

The Imperium has actually joined forces with the Eldar several times out of desperation... The Tau might also be a subject for truce if it was beneficial... Aliens can always be dealt with later... Space Marine Chapters would probably refuse to fight alongside Aliens in most cases...

Orks could, I suppose, ally with Chaos if the Chaos commander promises a good fight and gives them enough weapons but they would probably just turn against them afterwards...

Dark Eldar would most likeliy not ally with anyone, although they might deceive naive humans or Tau and betray them...

Chaos might use Ork mercs but it is unlikely.. They have plenty of cannon fodder of their own..

Tyranids would never ally with anyone... ever...

Necrons would not ally with anyone either... Their total hatred toward all life would prevent them of this.. Also, they are damn arrogant...
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I didn't mean in this grand, massive alliance, like in a huge battle with Fire Warriors unloading from Rhinos under the covering fire of Eldar Grav-Tanks pr anything like that. I mean't basically an uneasy truce, a ' Ok, I'll stop killing you if you stop killing me and we'll both kill them for a while' kind of deal.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a ' Ok, I'll stop killing you if you stop killing me and we'll both kill them for a while' kind of deal.
    That sort of thing has happened. In the novel "Shadow Point" we read about how an alliance between Battlefleet Gothic and anEldar force spelt the end of the Chaos campaign there. But it is by far the exception rather than the norm.

For humanity the galaxy of the 42nd millenium is one of zero-sum outcomes: win or be wiped out. Orks, Tyranids, Necron, Chaos - there are enemies everywhere. That sort of situation fosters a siege mentality. Ask yourself this question: would you willing to put your life (and the continued existence of Humanity) in the hands of some blue Aliens, when you have seen how Aliens kill, destroy, maim and tortue innocent humans, time and time again over the past ten millenia?

While it is tempting to apply contemporary 21st century morals and ethics to the 42nd Millenium - but they do not apply. It is a very different time.

The best that anyone can hope for are temporary alliances of convenience... and you had better use the respite earned to rearm, reload and dig in...because today's allies are tomorrow's enemies.
    My secret, shameful desire is a three Ordo army...

(I know I'm bad...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Broadside_Pilot@Jan 19 2005, 09:16
    The Imperium because, well, at the moment, they're just trying not to die, and, when you're writing about your species, you want them to be at least somewhat-good.
    I think of the average citizen of the Imperium (non-combatants, Imperial Guardsman rank and file, etc) to be somewhat-good, or at least ethically normal, if perhaps grossly ignorant, people. I concider the higher ranks of the Imperium to be thoroughly corrupt, and each Imperial leader is as likely as not to be evil in my mind.

Otherwise, I agree entirely with Applebone.

Incidentally, did any Eldar ever show up on any of the Armageddon campaigns? If they did, odds are good they lost way more than 1000 lives there. Doesn't sound like scrying the future is all its cracked up to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

If the Imperium is ethically corrupt, I have to say, ethically corrupt according to what? You're comparing it with 21st century society here, which is problematic, because the current human race is not about to be exterminated by several alien threats in the 21st century (unless I've missed something big.) Pheonicia expressed that perfectly..

The eldar.. well, quite frankly, the Eldar are arrogant. Seeing the future doesn't make them more dependable as allies, it probably makes them more capricious, because as soon as the probabilities start to work against the alliance, whoops the eldar back out again, or try and manipulate their fellow alliance members so that fewer eldar die.

The Tau want everyone else to conform to their 'superior' social system. I think recent world history has demonstrated that that's not a great way to do diplomacy.

Tyranids and Necrons just kill stuff. There's no prospect of them allying with anything. Same goes for orks, with the exception that they might make momentary bargains, then decide they want to do things their way and attack their one-time allies. There's an example in Dawn of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think, if REALLY, REALLY pressed, the Dark Eldar and Chaos would unite with their parent race, only for the reason that 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'.
    Dark Eldar hate chaos maybe even more than normal Eldar. If you mentioned this idea to one, you would spend the rest of your life being tortured.

Eldar of all kinds would never ally with chaos, they would kill themselves before it came to that. If any did join chaos, every other Eldar in the universe would spend their lives trying to kill them.

Tyranids and Necrons have no idea what allying is. They cannot do this any more than you can fly.

Orks would only ever ally with someone under the direst of circumstances, and even then they would spend half the time 'ackzidentally' blowing up their allies.
    ________________W/L/T
    Hive Fleet Furi Kuri 32/21/4
    Tomb Kings: 8/5/2

Im in ur Halo, killin ur covernantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

No orks would never 'ally' as such but they can be bought with weapons, even though it would be a very risky business as the orks would almost certainly turn against their briber..
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True Alliances in 40K are impossible. the only thing that could possibly happen is one race figuring out a way to manipulate another, like:

eldar and everybody else. good example in eldar codex, about Biel-Tan swordwind helping beleagured human colonies against orks, and then turning on the humans that beleived they had been "saved".

as someone pointed out eariler: Necrons (deciever) and Tau high council

hypothetically: a psyker of some other race figuring out how to disrupt the hive mind and take control of the tyranids

But for the most part, the species and factions that have survived in the 41st Millenium have not done it by being tolerant, compromising, or peacefull.

the remembered empires are the ones forged from the blood, slaughter, and screams of the innocents

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast