Imperial non-Psyker communications. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial non-Psyker communications.

O.k. I don't really expect much in the way of an answer for this but does anyone no anything about the nature of, and technology of, non-psyker communications in the impeium. Particularily those used by the inquisition. :wacko: Yes I know that GW have probably not made any fluff on this matter but it really matters because I want to make some scenery for my Gk army ( Who are, in my fluff, a strike force charged with the protection of interior communications for the Inquisition).

War necessitates a different set of morals.
    Mine will do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

As far as I'm aware.. all interplanetary communication in the Imperium, including that of the inquisition, is psychic. That's one reason why it doesn't happen very much (many Imperial worlds are only dimly aware of other planets at all.)

However, since an Inquisitior can (within reason) command the obedience of almost any individual in the Imperium, I wouldn't be surprised if many have their own astropaths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

Non psyker communication is pretty short range stuff. You can communicate from one side of the average planet to aother with standard radio and video communication (a lot like the stuff we have now,only not as reliable) but communicating across larger planets or any other long distance isn't happening if you don't have an astropath around. Inquisitors probably communicate exclusively through psykers,as it's a bit more secure then reuglar radio or video transmissions.
    Last edited by Edicius; April 20th, 2005 at 01:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, like Edicus said, short-range (planetside and interplanetary) can be non-psychic, but intersystem communication is all astropaths. (Or is it astrapaths?)
    Inqusitors usually carry around their own psyker of some sort (a Mystic or somesuch) unless they're some superpuritan faction that hates anything to do with the warp and thus chaos, or anyone black-templar-ish.

=][=
    A man's at odds to know his mind, for his mind is aught he has to know it with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like everyone else has said, there is basically no IMPERIAL non-warp-based long range communication. They do have some level of radio/visual communication (referred to throughout fluff as voxing), but like all the imperial tech base it seems to be relatively unreliable and maintained through mysticism. Inquisitors seem to carry around their own astropaths (I refer you to the Eisenhorn trilogy, or for that matter Soul Drinker, for examples). For short term communications between their own subordinates they seem to rely on vox technology and variations of battle cant languages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Interplanetary communication does exist. It's just extremely slow; a radiowave message can take decades or centuries to arrive, if it does at all. Astropathic telecommunication suffers from similar problems, but to a lesser extent and they are, on the whole, more reliable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

There is some record of interstellar non-warp communication... in (2nd edition) ork fluff there's a probe that got sent out millennia before 40k to send back life-signs. It's apparently still monitored, and most of the signals coming out are orkish. This does suggest they know about nonpsychic interstellar comms at least, but I doubt it's used on a huge scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle
    Astropathic telecommunication suffers from similar problems.
    Not quite..

I'm pretty sure it states clearly in certain fluff sources that astropathic communication is instantanious.

As for reliable. Well.. An astropath is relatively well protected by the soul binding, but, as with all psykers, there's always a risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    Not quite..

I'm pretty sure it states clearly in certain fluff sources that astropathic communication is instantanious.

As for reliable. Well.. An astropath is relatively well protected by the soul binding, but, as with all psykers, there's always a risk.
    I'm also pretty sure I read that the messages could get mixed up or be sent to the wrong person or arrive years late. It makes sense. Telepath doesn't seem like a very exact science when it comes to interplanetary distances.

And Astropaths are pretty much screwed. They live for about three months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle
    And Astropaths are pretty much screwed. They live for about three months.
    That's only in the Astronomican though. Your normal astropath who isn't working 24/7 lives a relatively normal lifespan, I thought. They can get quite old, if you read various stories.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast