What exactly is geneseed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Grand Master Saiyan Sanguine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is geneseed?

Okay well i thought i was pretty well versed in 40k fluff till it dawned on me. What the hell is geneseed exactly. I know it makes a man a marine but what is it. Whats does it look like and suck like. From what i gather, its orginally made from cells, the cells are 'cultered' or grown to a specific form and function, then it eventually turns into an organ. This explanation is in sync with how the emperor created the primarchs and how the grey knights were made. Just a thought, fluff gurus, the board is yours.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saiyan

Geneseed in a sence is what makes the chapter unique. Since it comes from the primarchs some of their individual traits show though the genetic material they rendered. For example certain mutations such as the canis helix in the space wolves makes their canine teeth get progressively larger durring the course of their lives. Their are further examples of this in some of the original legions. Geneseed is what the origial primarchs gave to the apocretheries or whoever was most qualified at the time in order for the legion to get more recruits and so that the legion may continued. Hence that is why the existing geneseed is so important as it is not easily reproduced because there is no more primarchs around to donate any. Physically geneseed has been described as a "spider like" organ. Think of something about the size of an egg (give or take) with a lot of tendrils that come out of it. It is also called the primogenoid gland. It is implanted in two places in the newly inducted space marines body. The first place is the chest area. Several sources give the impression that this is not the more important place for it. The more important place that the geneseed is is located in the neck area. The reason why I think the apocretheries put it in two spots is so that even if the marine is so badly blown up they still can get a portion of the geneseed back intact so that the chapter may continue. The geneseed itself transforms the aspirant into the 7ft tall giant that we all know today as space marines. While the geneseed is the most important of the implanted organs it is not the only thing that makes a space marine what he is. There is about 20 or so special organs that have to be implanted in to a space marine plus the culmination of about 6 years prior to the first implant before a space marine can dawn on his power armor. I hope I answered your question

Salem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Looks Like:

"Pure" (as in uncultured, not uncorrupted) geneseed probably looks like generic biomass. Or perhaps a lump of cancerous tissue?

Consists of:
    Probably a type of stem cell. By the way, did you know that DNA just looks like clear snot?

Organs
    Once it has been cultured and is ready to be implanted into an initiate, it would be a particular organ. These were described in an old White Dwarf (I think issue 250 - 270 in Australia, but I can't find it). I am pretty sure that the article was the first in the Index Astartes series.
    Last edited by Corianis; May 1st, 2005 at 10:26. Reason: addition
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/w40krp/...Implants.shtml
    the above link outlines all of the phases for creating a Space Marine.
    Very in depth.
    Hope Is The First Step On The Road To Dissapointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I read in some GW article, that the reason for implanting the two primogenoid glands was so that when they matured, tey could remove the one in the chest, whilst the one in the neck continued to control the other implanted organs. I could be wrong, but I do recall readign that somewhere.
    "They are my space marines and they shall know no fear, for they are fear incarnate." ~ Konrad Curze (Night Haunter), Primarch of the Night Lords Legion

"Adeo mori servus Imperator Fictus
    Ave Dominus Nox" (So die the slaves of the False Emperor. Hail to the Lord of the Night.) ~ Talonmaster Zso Sahaal [Lord of the Night, p.68]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you may be right. I though I remembered they put in two but I couldn't think of the reason why they put in the second one. you are absolutely right about putting it in to mature and then taking it out though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

As Corianis has already stated, the gene-seed consists of stem cells, nineteen varieties of gene-seed corresponding to the nineteen zygotes or special Space Marine implants. When it’s time to initiate a new Marine, the gene-seed is stimulated hormonally to grow and divide in an artificial environment, thus creating one of the zygotes, which is then implanted into the recruit. As I understand it, gene-seed looks and behaves like any other type of cell, following the same cellular cycles as unipotent stem cells.

Quote Originally Posted by LBellouny
    I thought I read in some GW article, that the reason for implanting the two primogenoid glands was so that when they matured, tey could remove the one in the chest, whilst the one in the neck continued to control the other implanted organs. I could be wrong, but I do recall readign that somewhere.
    I’ve read more than once on various online forums that the function of the Progenoid Glands is to control the other organs, but I have found no indication of this in the fluff. Actually, in the White Dwarf article linked to by Pidgeon_Death, it is stated that “…after five years the neck gland is mature and ready for removal. After ten years the chest gland becomes mature and is also ready for removal. A gland may be removed anytime after it has matured. […] Gene-seed can only be obtained by removing one or both progenoid organs from a living (or very recently deceased) Marine. The whole purpose of the progenoid organ is to provide gene-seed to enable the chapter to continue.? This to me indicates that the function of the Progenoid Glands is to collect and store gene-seed only, not to control the other organs, which are already to some degree being controlled by each other, as well as regular chemical treatments. If the Progenoid Glands control the other implants, it wouldn’t be possible to remove them before the Marine’s death, which is clearly stated in the article as being possible, although it seems to be rare that it is actually done. The reason for implanting two Progenoid Glands in one Marine is of course to ensure a continuous supply, or even increase, of a Chapter’s gene-seed.

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

At this point comes in the Apothecaries, who travel the battlefield and remove the progenoid glands from casualties using the wrist-mounted Reductor. Often they administer euthanasia to irrevocably wounded Marines.

Technically, the progenoid gland means that every single marine gives enough geneseed for two more. However, some bodies are destroyed totally, some are irretrievable and the geneseed is in a constant state of decay, so most Chapters manage to break even in terms of geneseed amounts. I recall a piece of fluff showing Abaddon's chief sorceror (Z-something) blessing a Defiler body with a sacrificed Marine. He offered up the progenoid gland to desecrate the Defiler's daemon spirit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Another drain on the geneseed stocks is the tithe to the Lords of Terra which is part of every chapter's charter.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

+ Reply to Thread