The future of 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

The future of 40k

I had a thought. If the galaxy is under attack from three different races, that span galaxies. The Eldars are dying off. The imperium is crumbling, and the chaos are running out of soldiers. Where is 40k going?

Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by closet_anarchist
    I had a thought. If the galaxy is under attack from three different races, that span galaxies. The Eldars are dying off. The imperium is crumbling, and the chaos are running out of soldiers. Where is 40k going?
    Nowhere. And that's the point. GW tells us this time and time again. The eldar are NEVER going to die. The Imperium is NEVER going to die off from an attack from chaos or aliens or anything. The Emperor is NEVER getting his lazy a$$ up off his golden toilet. Why? Because these events, like many others, would spell an end to certain aspects of the game. None of these galaxy changing events are going to occur. GW want's you to have infinite possiblities in the wonderful game of 40k. So you want to play a game where the last of the eldar are fighting for their lives? Go for it. You want to play a game/campaign where Russ or any other primarch comes out and leads a crusade. You want to have a campaign of nothing but a giant ork WAAAAAAAGH? Great! Do whatever the hell your mind desires. That's what GW wants. Your imagination can run wild doing anything in the game you want with your friends. It's for these reasons that GW keeps the universe in a constant state of "balance", if you will. A state of war... Hence the opening speech in 40k...

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR.

etc. etc.

Member Grand Master Saiyan Sanguine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said, the most you can look forward to is popular characters dying and new ones taking their place. GW is on a very nice ride right now, they've created an atmosphere where few things are certain and these few things have little or no influence on the big picture. Hive fleet Kraken annihilated the Ultramarines and their fleets AND a strong contingent of the imperial navy but surely if the entire tyranid race attacked the imperium would be doomed. In my opinion, yea, but will it ever happen, of course not. Orks are by far the most numerous race in the 40k universe, terrible to behold when united, but will the ENTIRE Ork race rally and attack, hell nah, Orks fight anything, including each other hence the possiblity of the entire race coming together to annihilate all is well...impossible. Every single discussion concerning the 40k universe is a matter of debate and thats how they make money, ingenius little buggers. Sure there will be major conflicts to appease us but like the last black crusade all of them will change very little if anything so as to keep 'balance'. Im sure youre noticed some of the major gaps in the universe such as the expunged legions, just nifty little blanks just in case interest starts to wane, and if ever these gaps are filled, rest assured they wont be at once and there will always be something else to counteract and bring 'balance'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently future campaigns will explore past events in the 40k universe, the Badab War, Age of Apostasy, Horus Heresy, Great Crusade etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that would be cool althogth I doubt that they would do the Horus Heresy because that would mean having to make the Primachs a model and perhaps playable and since the demise of herohammer I don't think that they would go back to that.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus
    I think that would be cool althogth I doubt that they would do the Horus Heresy because that would mean having to make the Primachs a model and perhaps playable and since the demise of herohammer I don't think that they would go back to that.
    I'm not so concerned about that.. The primachs were only individuals, and while they were pretty decisive, a lot of the fighting took place without them. Even a near god like superhuman can't be everywhere at once.

Either that or they'd tone them down.. After all, the C'tan are supposed to be god-like too.. and they're playable.

The bigger problem I can see is that things looked different in the heresy. Certain things which form a staple of many armies weren't widely used, and even the marines themselves looked very different. Check out this article for examples. You can't expect everyone to repaint/covert their armies to look like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they'll be new model ranges to reflect different periods of 40k history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by deversnik
    they'll be new model ranges to reflect different periods of 40k history
    But if you did that, there'd still be problems..

Consider,

'My army is a death guard army from the Horus Heresy, before they got mutated.'

'My army is from the <insert name of non first founding chapter here.>'

How do you make fluff for that battle? The two could never concievably met.

Now, I'll admit that's a bit anal. I'm seriously tempted to make a preheresy marine army myself right now, because I think it would look awesome, and be something a little unique. I'm not too concerned about what happens when I have to play chaos marines, or tau.. it's just a fun army idea for me.

However, GW encourages people to develop background stories for battles, knowing that, for many people, doing so makes the whole process more fun. I can't see them doing anything which might deny people doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x5)

A Horus Heresy campaign would be a tricky thing to manage. If you limit everyone to Heresy Era armies, a lot of people are gonna feel left out because not everyone is willing to convert the prize Space Marine chapter they spent years building into thier pre-Heresy variant.GW has pretty much reached a very strange point. They can move on in a lot of different directions from here, but a few of those directions are seriously bad roads to take. I'd like to maybe see a few historic re-fights, but I'd also like to see them move on at one point and keep the story going. We don't need to change the name of the game to "Warhammer 41,000" (god I can't beleive I'm actualy recognising that as a valid concern >.<). How many things do you see with the words "2000" stuck on the end but they really don't have anything to do with the year 2000. Hell if we were serious about the "It's 40k so it should take place in 40,000" rule we wouldn't be considering a Heresy campaing either now would we O.o? I say move on, let's see if the Imperium can finaly figure out that pouring oil on a computer is not a good idea and that hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not "calm the machine spirit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one see no problem with fighting in the 30k time frame, Then again, I'm not Tau, Buggies, or Necrons. Also, the Dark Eldar really have been around for what 10 thousand years as well, slight problem there. As well as the craft worlds being rather young as well.

On the flip side we could get new armies, like the Jorall, interex, and others, chaos would be unchanged, so would the guard. The SMs would need some new armor, but hey, not anything some new and pricey kits cant fix.
    "He was so deadly in fact that his enemies would go blind from over exposure to pure awesomeness" -Po the Panda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast