Librarium Online Forums banner

Does it say anywhere what its like on the average Imperial World?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Kelnor 
#1 ·
I havent come across anything like it? Do normal people have access to advanced technology or does the average person only have acess to what we have about now. I dont mean like totally, I guess archtecture and things like appartment building and public transite could be better than us now but I mean like personal belonging wise? Do they haver videogames or are they Heritical? How about warhammer fantasy? For the city I am building I made a GW/Convenience store model that has a Warhammer fantasy sign, but I also have a wanted poster with a picture of Naruto Uzumaki with a reward of 420 000 Zenny and warning about him containing a fox demon too so I dont know. Would things like a cafe on the corner of a street exist? When ever I think of the Imperium I think all dark and the people living in without much socal stuff happening.

So far half the buildings I have made look like nice places people actually live in and the other ones slums and ruins. I guess I should just not use them together.

Thats the reason I'm asking. I wanna know what I should put into my not ruined city?

#2 · (Edited)
If you can get your mits on the old 3rd Ed rule book, theres fluff in there spanning about 2 pages of Imperial worlds and the different types.

Very handy for designing fluff IMO.

As I said, theres many different types, ranging from death worlds to worlds that would contain cities much like New York, or London.

For example, my main world, "Vulpmund" is a semi civilised world that had 4 rather large Hives. A hive to each main continent.

Other than that though, its smaller, more normal cities are like cities like Newcastle, or Manchester.

#3 ·
I would suggest checking out these two White Dwarf articles from Critical Hit: Galactic Civilisation and Worlds of the Galaxy. They contain a bit of general information about standard Imperial worlds of various types.

However, I think you’d be able to make up some fluffy ideas for your city just by using your imagination, since there is no official fluff you must adhere to. There is no general standard of living in the Imperium; you can see the articles above for ideas, but if you want a fairly civilised planet for your city, I’d do as Toastee suggests and use a modern metropolis for ideas. New York would probably be a good reference, only with more gothic architecture of course. People in such an Imperial city would probably have access to computers, at least the wealthy members of society, and TVs too. I know for sure that most worlds with some level of civilisation have something like public cinemas, where the citizens can go for news on the Imperium; mostly there are just reports from victorious battles against the enemies of the Imperium and interviews with various heroes, of course, but sometimes they show fictional movies as well. My favourite 40k movie hero must be Arbitrator Foreboding, who battles criminals, heretics and mutants with relish, his famous catchphrase: “The Imperium never sleeps!� and a very big gun. :p

~Grephaun.

#6 ·
I'd be thinking something like Judge Dredd's MegaCity 1 would be pretty close to what a Hive would resemble, of course having many many more levels adding millions upon millions more inhabitants, but that kind of constant activity
and the Arbites are so similar to the Judges in attitude and purpose, MegaCity 1 is obviously a young hive city somewhere in the WH40K universe

#7 ·
Uh... guys... Corusant from StarWars, duh, its a planet made of entirely one city. Besides there are other worlds. Forge, civilized, agri(mine), feral, stuff like that.

#11 ·
Imagine Coruscant with gargoyles and cathedrals.

Pretty much futuristic gothic architecture for most hives. Hives are the best type of place to set a fanfiction - some have underground levels two thousand years old, where civilisation is as wild as it is in a wasteland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.