Custom Chapter Fluff help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Chapter Fluff help

Okay i have the basics of my army fluff down and i just wanted to make sure there are no glaring holes in it, or maybe tweak it going on what people think.
    They have no set name yet and i'm kicking a few ideas around but here goes.
    At some point during the 3rd founding a chapter was formed, the official naming and records of the chapter have long been expunged, although it is suspected they are of ultramarine heratage. Some time in the 40th millenium of man the chapter began recieving psychic messages, their unusually high proportion of librarians were eventually able to comprehend them.
    They came from the emperor himself.
    He could not believe it but the high lords had once again fallen. They no longer listened to his great plan and were allowing humanity to fall into darkness. The emperor called for the chapter to stop them, to destroy the lords before it was too late and to save humanity from their corruption.
    The visions grew stronger week after week as the chapter prepared for their greatest mission, the entire might of their forces gathered the marines attacked. The lords however were no simple scribes or merchants. The marines made early gains in the battle to reach them but as the battle wore on, the odds fell against them.
    The lords sanctioned the activation of hoards of assassinorium operatives, platoons of guard were called and the imperial navy pushed its advantage.
    They failed.
    Bloody and battered the remaining marines withdrew, losing many more of their number and the remnants of the chapter scattered into space.
    Knowing they would never be safe gathered together the chapter split, gathering into squad sized groups each with enough knowledge of geneseed transplantation to get by and headed out seperatly.
    As small cells they were able to regain their strength without detection by the inquisition, secretly recruiting. Much of their armour and weaponry plundered from their misguided brothers sent to destroy the 'traitors' or whenever they met horus's followers supplemented by what little they could produce on their various bases. As such each cell developed a distinct style of fighting based on what was available.
    Maintaining constant contact they seek to try again, the direct assault had failed, they had failed their emperor, they would not fail again.

And basically thats it, the fluff lets me happily choose any playing style (different cells) gives my marines a darker purpose and also asks big questions.
    Were the visions truely from the emperor? The C'tan, Chaos gods or even the eldar could be manipulating the chapter, but then again, what if its true........
    I also have a justification for fighting any army as while they aim is not agreed on by the imperium and they have been labelled traitors they still defend humanity where they are needed bolstering the defence of any planet they are based on.

Well I just wanted to know what people thought, as i said feel free to punch holes in, but if possible try to uggest repairs after and my marines deeper history is a little rusty as i'm an eldar player at the core of it all.
    Thanks.

Ask not a question of the eldar, for they will give you three answers all of which are true and horrifying to know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good, and more than a little in line with my opwn views on the high lords of tera.

Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

It sounds good, and even allows you to play against Imperial armies (IG, DH, other space marines, etc.)

What you should do now is mention some leaders of the cells and maybe a chapter master. Maybe make a force organisation chart, naming the cells, the leader for each cell, and their combat style, paint scheme, etc.
    "DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

It's good stuff..

Not so sure about the 'voice from the Emperor' but as you said, it could be anything.

And there's nothing wrong with the high lords of Terra.. Without them, there'd be no Imperium, full stop. It's like the Inquisition, we can turn our liberal, 21st century noses up at such an idea.. people in 40k don't have that option.

But hey, that's a pretty funky bunch of renegades you've got there.. I especially like the fact that you've appreciated that renegade chapters are usually A. very small, and B. can't directly confront their Imperial adversaries very often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

One minor detail; they would never get close to Terra. It took half the original Marine legions plus hordes of guard and deamons to reach Terra during the Heresy, there's no way a single chapter is going to make it. Plus the second anybody found out they planned on harming the High Lords (and believe me, the Inquisition will find out )the entire might of the Imperium would fall on them like a hammer.Maybe you should tone the actual fighting part down. It's much more likely that they where planning a revolt but where smashed by the Imperoum before it got off the gtound, and now they're sneaking around trying to find a way to Terra to kill the High Lords.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actualy you Could get to tera, just not as a huge army, you would have to do it all sneaky like. A war with the high lords is suicide. Assasination is still suicide, but you might succed before you die. And while the high lords are neaded they also nead to be put in their place, fermly BELOW the will and purpose of the Emperor.

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

I think you should make it so the voice was some other entity besides the emperor. After all if the emperor himself was sending them visions why would he only send visions to them and not the other 1000 chapters? He must know in his "infinite wisdom" (notice the quotes) that one chapter would not be able to take out the high lords. To get close to them it would be more likely that the chapter master wanted a meeting with the high lords. This let him get to terra but obviously it ultimatley failed.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei Vor Yaruk
    And while the high lords are neaded they also nead to be put in their place, fermly BELOW the will and purpose of the Emperor.
    The Emperor can't speak.. he's dead, or as good as.

So who interprets the will and purpose of the Emperor?

The Ecclesiasty...

We all know how good the Ecclesiasty are from the fact that they frequently go crazy, overstep their power and have to be dealt with by the 'evil' inquisition. Hence the fact that 'Apostate Cardinal' is an HQ choice for witch hunters adversaries.

Look at the members of the High Lords of Terra.. Apart from the Fabricator General, not one of them really has any religious role at all. As far as I can see, they're just physical, day to day governors.

I don't like the way everyone assumes the high lords are some kind of uber dictators who have quietly siezed power. They're simply representatives of 4 of the Imperium's most important institutions who, logically, need to keep in communication. To say those institutions are 'wrong' is idiotic.. because A. apart from the Inquisition they all existed when the Emperor was alive, and B. If you took one of them away, there would be no Imperium, it's that simple.

I do like your fluff.. But if these guys have a problem with the religious doctrine of the Imperium, I don't know why they hate the high lords so much. They should be badgering the Ecclesiasty instead.

You haven't really specified what they don't like about them.. other than the fact that they 'no longer listen to the Emperor's message.' Which doesn't really make sense considering that the Institutions they represent haven't really changed in 10,000 years.

Sorry about the sudden outpouring, I do really like your fluff, but Alexi just made me realise what was bugging me.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; June 6th, 2005 at 23:36.

Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I like it.

Those of you that commented on how great the high lords are and impossible it would be for them to be evil. Remember that Its not a definite fact that the message they got from the Emperor were actually from the Emperor. And in response to Giant Mantis. Firstly the High lords are in command of everything they're not just spokesmen for the instituions. And even though the institutions existed before the Horus Heresy im pretty certain the high lords didn't. It was more likely the primarchs.
    "DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    I don't like the way everyone assumes the high lords are some kind of uber dictators who have quietly seized power. They're simply representatives of 4 of the Imperium's most important institutions who, logically, need to keep in communication.
    1: Well they have, but the Emperor told them too back just after the fight when he still could speak. Thing is they no longer do things right, i.e. efficiently, so they need to be replaced with ones who will.

2: There are 12 high lords, i don't know who they all are but here is a list of what I do know.

Arch fabricator of mars.
    Eclesiarch.
    Grand master of assassins.
    Lord high =][=nquisitor general.
    Master of the watch. (head of the Adeptus Custodes)
    Lord General Militant.

The head of the Adeptus Administradum.

The head of the Scolastica Psicana.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast