special weapon creator - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

special weapon creator

how would you make a weapon used by special characters fair(as in weapons with extra rules)
    and therefore be able to give a little personal touch to your characters. what price would you give to these rules and how many would you allow to each weapon.

i would add 20 or 30 pts for an extra rule and allow each weapon to have 1 extra.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I wouldn't bother myself, it always causes more trouble than worth.. Just use existing items and substitute the names/fluff.

You can't put a general points cost on rules.. 'I always win' is a potential rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

If I ever get to creating a weapon, I judge it via this table:

Minimum cost: 1 point.
    Power weapon: 15 extra.
    Stat bonus: 15 points per statistic increase (30 points for +2S, for example)
    WAPF (Works As Power Fist): 30 points
    Special rule: Price to be agreed upon.
    Force weapon: 30 extra.

Something like that. Using these rules, a Nemesis Force Weapon is 61 points. It's more expensive than it actually is in the DH codex. Heyheyhey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I think it's a great idea along the lines of the Vehicle Design Rules. It would be great to have some special weapon design rules, but make them exclusively available to characters.

I would give damn near anything to have a +1 ST weapon for my Trait built White Scars army, but it just doesnt exist.

The funny thing is that's all I damn want! A weapon with +1 ST for my Lords! Not too much to ask is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Well, the long standing rules on creating weapons with special properties has been to find an example of the desired effect of the weapon elsewhere and then using that price. Find examples of all of the effects of the weapon and then add the costs together. For instance, if you wanted to create a weapon that is an ancient and revered example of its type, take the armoury cost of the weapon for your specific army, and then add the price for Master Crafted (15 pts) and Holy Relic (30 pts) and then give it a new name and use all the rules. Remember if the weapon can be used in two different ways, add the full points from both ways as if you had simply bought two weapons for them.

Adding or subtracting points based on the stats of the wielder is too complicated, and in fact GW doesnt even do that. Weapons prices are not pro-rated, with the exception of the division between upgrade characters and independent characters on some weaponry. Most GW special weapons are created this way as well and its better to just follow their example. Straying too far is risky and you'll have problems assigning points.

Here's an example I use in home-games of house rules for my HQ's special weaponry.

Poxhammer: I daemonic glaive posessed of the soul of a daemon prince. The daemon is far to powerful to use un-protected from the powerful daemon inside, but if one can master the weapon its power is incredible. Poxhammer cam be used as a Manreaper OR may be used with the bearer's normal number of attacks as a powered witchblade. Poxhammer is a deamon weapon and tests for mastery are taken when enemy models are killed, but such is the strength of the daemon inside that the bearer's leadership is reduced by 2 for purposes of the mastery test only. However, Poxhammer was fitted with fragments of a captured ghost helm to help control the daemon, and so if the test it failed the bearer may take a 4+ save.
    Manreaper (25pts)
    Witchblade (15pts)
    Ghost Helm (5pts)

Total cost : 45 pts.

Ive been told by my opponents that 45 pts is a very fair price for what this weapon can do in games, as even though it takes a boost in strength, it has its downside.

As for the +1 Str, Hourglass, just add 3 pts to the cost of the weapon as thats the cost for a Great Weapon in the Chaos Codex.
    Last edited by Warmaster Phthisis; August 4th, 2005 at 20:56.

+ Reply to Thread