Necron Sentience? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necron Sentience?

It says in the codex, that Necrons retain very few traits from before they were encased, exept for the powerful. I would assume that, if they can have spies in the Imperium, they can have a personality, to assume tactics and such, as there is only so much AI can do.

What do you think? Is it logical for a Necron Lord to have a personality, desires and goals of its own? Or is it simply bent to the will of a C'tan?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

To quote the codex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron Codex, page 25
    Only a few of the very strongest retained their intellect and even they were shadows of their former selves
    I interpret this to mean that almost all of the Necrons have no free will or personality of any kind. Even those which do would exhibit very low levels of initiative, and not even all Lords would be at that level. On the same page of the codex it mentions that the Necrontyr ceased to be, and that they became Necrons "...bound in eternal servitude to their C'Tan masters..."
    I don't believe that they would have goals and desires of their own.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Yeah I agree with corianis that they would have extremely little, if any personality whatsoever.

However, I do think certain Necrons, namely the Lords, Immortals, and Pariahs might behave slightly differently in battle in a way that since they have been awake longer, they would move and kill more efficiently, recognise enemy threats, and take initiative in situations where other Necrons would just continue to slaughter without discrimination.

It would be hard to tell of course because I think Necrons pass on information to each other and thus work collectively as a killing machine, but the originators of their strategy would be the Ctan, Lords, and Elites.

Flayed Ones seem to have a twisted aspect to them that is not the usual Necron behavior; their hobby of wearing skin.
    Last edited by Ebon Hand; October 6th, 2005 at 09:32.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, some kind of glitch...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've always maintained that Necron Lords would be sentient, they would of orginally been intellectual powerhouse great scientists beyond the comprehension of human understanding, star engineerers and who do you reckon build Necron Tomb Ships which travel faster than travel through the warp??? , so even a shadow of their former selves they would still be sentient, it all depends whether Necron Lords end up being retained in the fluff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Hand

Flayed Ones seem to have a twisted aspect to them that is not the usual Necron behavior; their hobby of wearing skin.

Or it could just be the cold logic of a machine. What would be more terrifying for a human than seeing a metal skeleton with huge claws coming at him wearing the skin of his buddy that was next to him ten seconds ago.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus
    Or it could just be the cold logic of a machine. What would be more terrifying for a human than seeing a metal skeleton with huge claws coming at him wearing the skin of his buddy that was next to him ten seconds ago.
    But that's not the thought of a machine. Machines don't need to understand fear.

Then again, space marines use fear against their opponents without understanding it. Maybe you're right. But I rather like the idea of it being a glitch or malfunction aquired from perfoming their grisly role.

GAR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the fluff, it aludes to the fact that the necrontyr were not uniformly devoted to the C'tan. I would say that the lords would be among the ones who dedicated themselves to the C'tan and worshipped them as gods, as such, they would in turn become lords and possibly others such as immortals. These, or at least the lords, seem to show personal initiative and some limited amount of free will. Think of them as zealous priest who cannot nor will not hear of anything to the contrary outside of their beliefs.

The warriors are everyone else, the willing and for sure the unwilling, and have no will of their own whatso ever.

pariahs are a relativly new creation, or evolution, in terms of the necrons and I have no idea how old they are other than in terms of the necrons, they are young, possibly marines or grey knights encased in metal bodies, but due to their superior human nature, they were capable of being somethingmore than a standard warrior. That however, is just a suggestion, there is very little in the fluff about their true origins. it could also be that pariahs are what all warriors will evolve into, but again it is entriely unclear.
    GAR,
    THE BEATINGS SHALL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by GAR
    possibly marines or grey knights encased in metal bodies, but due to their superior human nature, they were capable of being somethingmore than a standard warrior.
    Pariahs were once human mutants who carried the Pariah gene, a strange mutation which means they have abseloutely no warp presence. Other humans can detect this subconsciously and find Pariahs fundamentally repulsive, regardless of what they look like or say.

The Imperium trains Pariahs as Culexus assassins and Inquisitors often use them as living shields against daemons and psykers. The C'tan use them as soldiers because they're useless as sustinace, and are completely disconnected from the warp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    But that's not the thought of a machine. Machines don't need to understand fear.

Then again, space marines use fear against their opponents without understanding it. Maybe you're right. But I rather like the idea of it being a glitch or malfunction aquired from perfoming their grisly role.
    It doesn't have to be the thought of a machine. It could be the way the C'Tan want them to be. After all, the Necron's bodies are specifically designed to evoke images of the skeletal structure of humanoid species, which would look pretty much the same for most of the creations of the Old Ones.
    Also, there has been some confusion between Sentience, Personality and Free Will. Now I don't want to go into an in depth Philosophical debate, but I think we can all agree that Sentience can exist without Personality (eg accountants) or Free Will (eg Teeny Boppers).
    PS Any accountants, please don't take offense from that statement, I am referring to archetypes.
    PPS If Archetype's accountant happens to read this. Well I guess I am screwed.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast