DIY White Scars/Salamanders feel. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY White Scars/Salamanders feel.

I had originally intended for my DIY Marines to be a Sally successor that just liked to burn stuff. Recently, however, I fell in love with the idea of a very mobile force like the White Scars, and I thought I would try to combine the two ideas. This is the fruit of my labor, and I'd like to hear your critiques on it. I've altered the previous fluff I posted, deleted some stuff, added some stuff, changed some stuff. So...here we go, Round Two. (Warning, this is probably going to be kind of long)

Chapter Name: Still unknown at this time, as I can't pick anything I like. I figured maybe I should try to write fluff, then see about getting a name once everything else is down. As a result, anytime I need to refer to my Chapter, its name will be replaced by <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL SANCTION> until I can decide on something. I would like to perhaps name Chapter after the “fire tornados� that are prone to happen on their homeplanet, although I don’t really know what a good name for them would be. “Magmarines� is also a name I keep coming back to, but not sure how it sounds. For a chapter symbol, I was thinking maybe a sword with fire around the blade.

Geneseed: The source of the geneseed is unknown. The geneseed is known to be stable, however, and all organs work properly with no mutations. It has been speculated that the source may be White Scars, or Salamanders, or even a mixture of both. The stability of the geneseed, however, makes the latter very unlikely.

Founding: 22nd founding.

Homeplanet: The Chapter is based on the Death World of Ardor, located in the Ultima Segmentum. The planet was first catalogued by an Adeptus Mechanicus fleet in 532.M36. Ardor is almost completely covered by a vast desert landscape which is incredibly rich in volcanic activity, and the planet’s surface is covered with red ash from constant eruptions. Winds rip across the landscape fast enough to cut a man’s skin from sand and dust, and the temperatures can reach in excess of 200 degrees. The only hospitable regions of the planet are located at the very tips of the northern and southern hemispheres, where polar ice caps greedily hold what little natural water can be found on Ardor. Here life is allowed to exist in limited comfort, and most of the planet’s tribal populace can be found scattered around the caps. Though smaller tribes may extend along the planet towards the center, the vast majority of the planet is avoided by man. Most of the technological advances have been in the ways of agriculture; specifically, harvesting the ice caps for water. Hunters often venture out into the Ashlands for game, but trips must be done quickly lest the scorching winds and hungry beasts of the planet conquer them. Life on Ardor is a constant struggle for survival, and the human populace is relatively small, although highly concentrated.

Chapter History: The region in which the <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL SANCTION> is now located was previously the home to another Chapter of Space Marines, the Storm Callers. Records are unclear, but certain references hint that the Chapter may have been one of the doomed Cursed Foundings. In 763.M37, the Marines were shown to have been deployed to combat a Waaagh! forming on Axian V, a planet in close proximity to Ardor. Unfortunately, the Chapter was delayed during Warp travel (It was theorized later on that somehow this Chapter had acquired a flaw in their geneseed that made them more susceptible to the hazards of the Warp), and arrived several years later than they had anticipated. By this time the Waaagh! was in full swing, and fighting had spilled over onto nearby planets, including Ardor. Other Space Marine chapters had been deployed, and it was decided that the Cursed Chapter would deploy on Ardor to stem the tide of Orkdom.

Using their sacred drop pods, the Storm Callers deployed to the surface of Ardor, and began a long campaign of attacks on Waaagh! Gorbash, with most fighting occurring on the border of the fertile polar ice caps and the hazardous Ashlands as the Orks strived to control the source of water and food (Not to mention ‘oomie slaves). Noted during the various engagements, the Space Marines were often assisted both directly and indirectly by the native Ardians who fought the Orks with axe and spear, mounted on large reptilian creatures native to the Ashlands, with these armored warriors of the Gods. They had been fighting the Orks for several years in a losing battle, lacking the knowledge of firearms that even the primitive Orks controlled, but they had not faltered. The appearance of these armored warriors was seen as help from their god, Magmar, who dwelled in the largest volcano on the surface of the planet. The Space Marines noted the fierceness of the people on several occasions. During the final battle, the Ardians and Space Marines performed a pincer attack on the remaining Orks, forcing them into a large valley which lay just south of the largest volcano on Ardor, dwelling of Magmar. Both Space Marines and Ardians prepared for a bloody last stand-off in the narrow valley, and massive casualties were expected. However, on the night before battle, the volcano erupted, and the boiling lava roared through the valley to wipe out the entire Ork horde completely. It was cause for great celebration, and considered the ultimate judgement of Magmar on the alien invaders.

The victory for the Storm Callers, however, proved to be short-lived. Not long after departing Ardor, the Chapter’s battle barges were reportedly lost to the Warp, perhaps more evidence to support the claim that somehow they were more susceptible to the perils of Warp travel. Their fate remains a mystery, although many assume they were overcome by the daemons of the Warp and their Battle Barges shall float eternally though the realms of Chaos as floating tombs to the devoured bodies of the brethren.

When searching for a replacement Chapter to take over this region of space, it was decided that Ardor would supply an excellent source of troops, with their native populace being noted for their fierce combat against the Ork invasion, as well as their strong constitution. With the High Lords of Terra's approval, work began on inspecting the constitution of the Ardians to determine if they could make the transitions necessary to become a Space Marine. The original experiments were largely successful physically, with most subjects being lost due to massive culture shock. The Chapter base was placed on Caldor, Ardor’s only satellite, although several training facilities were kept on Ardor.

Tactical Doctrine: The Space Marines of <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL SANCTION> are a very mobile Chapter, possessing far more bikes and speeders than most other Chapters. They believe in rapid warfare, as the Ardians were long-accustomed to rapid strikes into the Ashlands for game, as well as utilizing the same mobile attacks against the invading Waaagh! Gorbash. The Chapter also possesses many flame-based weapons, as they know first-hand the destruction that fire, magma, and intense heat are capable of. In one night, the eruption of a volcano wiped out a horde of Orks that would have taken more than a week, even for the mighty Space Marines. The Chapter has a strong belief that fire cleanses the body, and purifies the soul. The Chapter also does not make frequent use of Devastators or Dreadnoughts, as such units are incapable of the rapid movement that the <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL SANCTION> have come to favor. Generally they are used for attacks that may have to be carried out in cramped cities, or for defense of a vital strategic point.

Traits: Be Swift as the Wind – Advantage. Die Standing – Disadvantage. There is not much fluff to back up the abandoning of drop pods, it’s simply a side-effect of their preferred mobile warfare. Land Speeders deep strike on their own, and bikes can’t use drop pods, so drop pods aren’t really necessary.

Beliefs: Fire is the greatest ally to the Brothers of <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL SANCTION>. One particular example of this is the massive, fiery tornados that are known to occur in the depths of the Ashlands, as fiery cinders and thin streams of magma are picked up from erupting volcanos and swirled for miles by towering funnels of wind. This is, perhaps, the single-most deadly natural phenomena known to the Ultima Segmentum (The wind alone is normally scorching hot and capable of tearing a man's skin off...when you combine that with fresh lava and burning cinders, you can imagine the result), and it is a constant fear of hunting parties to be stranded in the Ashlands in the midst of such a storm. Their tactical doctrine makes great use of fire as an offensive weapon of righteous punishment, is also used in the purification rituals the Space Marines themselves undertake. Ritual scarring and burning are commonplace. Most noted of these practices include the Litanus Obustus. When a Battle Brother falls in war, he is returned to his home planet of Ardor (If at all possible) where their geneseed is extracted as normal by the Apothecarion. Following this, the Marine is carried to the Mountain of Magmar, where his corpse is cast into the fiery heart of the volcano. Here, it is thought, his body and spirit are completely purified to be made one with the Emperor. Also, the warrior's strength is passed back into the planet, where it can be given to the next generation of Ardians who will themselves take up the mantle of Space Marines.

The Chapter is also more humane in many respects compared to their fellow Space Marines. When not on active duty, they spend much of their time on Ardor, assisting the tribes which have been united since the Chapter's founding. They serve as village leaders and advisors, protecting man against the large dinosaur-like predators that stalk the planet, and leading hunting parties for meat. Though they are by no means "nice", they see themselves as both Warriors and Servants of man. This has led them into several conflicts with other Chapters (Such as the Marines Malevolent and Devourers, a Blood Angels successor), and occasionally members of the Inquisition. However, against their enemies the <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL EDICT> are horrendously ruthless, and as they are willing to help the Man which finds loyalty with the Emperor, he who kneels before the Thrones of Chaos shall find the Marines equally ready to give them the Emperor’s Justice.

Chapter Colors: Not sure at the moment. Considering a mix of black and orange, or perhaps red gore and orange. Red for the color of the ash on the planet, orange for the lava. I would welcome any other ideas, as I’m really bad at deciding on these kinds of things.

Chapter Organization: Thinking smaller than normal Codex, to reflect the smaller population on Ardor. Very heavy on bikes, attack bikes, and speeders. There are of course a solid amount of Space Marine Tactical Squads, as well as transports to rapidly deploy them wherever they need to go. Assault Squads also common. Dreadnoughts and Devastators, I am thinking, will be fewer in comparison to other Chapters. The Space Marines of my Chapter are used to moving quickly, as on Ardor if you remain out in the Ashlands too long, you’re a dead man. So any unit that is not capable of moving 12� is generally avoided, unless there is a strong defense necessary, or the battle is going to be in a dense environment where bikes would otherwise be of little use.

Warcry: Thinking something like “Burn their bodies! Purge their souls!�. The first part said by the commanding Marine, the latter recited as the reply of those under his leadership. Burn being a reference to fire (Never would have guessed, I bet), and purging being a reference to wind. Both elements are strong forces on Ardor.

Battle Barges: “Cinefactus Incendium�, and “The Emperor’s Torch�.

Companies of Note: The Fourth Battle Company (Led by my Captain). One of the most unique things about this Chapter (Though rarely noted) is that the Company Captain, Chaplain, and Librarian are brothers; the Captain being the oldest, the Librarian the middle child, and the Chaplain the youngest. Brother-Captain Theao was only recently appointed to the position (Almost as if that coincided with my making of the Chapter), and has been eager to prove himself worthy of the title. Very rarely are the three brothers seen on the battlefield at the same time, but woe be unto the enemies of Man when they stand shoulder to shoulder. Most often they will be seen leader their Brothers into battle while mounted on bikes, but the Chaplain also enjoys gliding on the fiery wings of his jetpack.

Battles you might have heard about:

Ironically, two of the battles the Chapter is most famous for happened when they weren’t even technically Space Marines. The first being the battles of Waaagh! Gorbash which proved them worthy of becoming Space Marines.

The second famous battle occurred only a few years after the Chapter’s founding had begun, and it was not even half strength. A Dark Eldar pirate fleet struck Ardor looking for fresh slaves ripe for the torturing, and the Adeptus Mechanicus present feared that the Space Marines might not be enough for the job at hand. However, the Chapter Commander led his Brothers in a series of lightning raids, drawing the foul xenos deep into the heart of the Ashlands. The Eldar, not accustomed to the harsh windstorms or intense heat, often found themselves unable to properly fly their jetbikes. In the turning point of the campaign, the Dark Eldar were lured into an area the locals knew as the “Eyes of Magmar�, now often referred to as Pontus Ignium or “Sea of Fire�. Here many channels of erupted magma pool into a virtual sea of lava, the top of which hardens but only a few inches separate a lost traveler from his fiery death. Here, as the Eldar were crossing the sea in an attempt to route the Space Marines, several squads of Land Speeders rapidly encircled the Eldar and blew the ground out from beneath them, casting the aliens into the boiling magma underneath. Those who survived were cut down by roaring boltgun fire as the skilled Space Marines cut them down from their bikes.

The third battle, far more recent, occurred at the holy pacification of the heretical uprising on Yavim. The planet had been split in half by a bloody civil war as the planetary governor and his council sought to secede from the guiding light of the Emperor. The loyalist PDF was decimated horribly in the surprise attack, and pleas for help had been sent out. Arriving a few weeks later, the <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL SANCTION> deployed onto the surface of the planet after seizing controls of Yavim’s orbiting gun stations. Without warning the Chapter utterly decimated the traitorous PDF and their civilian supporters in a series of lightning raids which destroyed two of the largest population centers of the planet, and cut the throat of the remaining military force still under the Governor’s command, all in less than three days. The massacre had been so bloody that the Governor’s council turned on him, and met the Space Marines just outside the gates of the capital city, bearing the Governor’s head on a stick. Brother-Captain Theao was said to have drawn his bolt pistol and executed each of the council members on the spot; there would be no forgiveness for traitors. The remaining traitorous force surrendered, and the planet was left in the capable hands of the Inquisition and remaining Planetary Defense Force to rebuild what had been destroyed.

(That last one I’m not sure about…doesn’t really sound right. I’m going for the feeling of Genghis Khan when his rival was brought before him and instead of rewarding those who had turned on their former leader, he executed them as the worst of traitors. He had also been known to utterly destroy several cities then demand the head of his enemy on a spear, or the rest of the country would be burned; the head of the leader was promptly brought out to him. That’s the kind of thing I’m trying to convey, but doing a bad job of)

Quote: “We are the <CENSORED BY INQUISITORIAL SANCTION>, the Emperor’s Flaming Sword. Were you not guilty of great heresy, He would not have sent a punishment like us upon you.�

-End Fluff-

So, that’s what I’ve got so far. It’s been altered from my original idea, as I had started out wanting a Sally successor, but fell in love with the idea of a very mobile force like the White Scars. This is my attempt to make a blend of an incredibly mobile force armed to the teeth with fiery death and destruction. I am thinking of having the Storm Callers come back as a Chaos force, giving my Chapter a hated enemy, as well as a regular Ork Warboss. I’d love to hear any suggestions, as I am not the most creative person in the world, nor am I the best writer.

Thank you for any help you could offer me, I’d really like to have some good fluff for my Chapter, as I think I’ve got a pretty good idea and I’m both excited and eager to get to modeling and typing up some fiction based on their numerous exploits. Also, a lot of these names I made up as I typed this (Brother-Captain Theao, Yavim, Gorbash, Storm Callers) so if you know of something better let me know. I just wanted to put something in there so I didn't look like a complete idiot with <CENSORS> everywhere because I'm bad with names.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has read all that so far, could anyone perhaps suggest a good name for my Chapter? I've been racking my head for more than a month now, and STILL haven't come up with anything I like. Magmarines, Firestorm, Firelords...I need something that sounds suitably impressive. I'd like them to be named after the vicious fire tornados known to occur on Ardor, but I can't think up a good name for those either. They're fast, fiery, and deadly, so a great thing for my Marines to name themselves after.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brothers of the holy flame?

Senior Member impending slaughter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    I'd like them to be named after the vicious fire tornados known to occur on Ardor, but I can't think up a good name for those either.
    Why don't you name their companies after the tornadoes? Similar to the Biel-Tan Swordwind hosts. You could call each company a 'firestorm' for example.

What about Inferno Angels for a chapter name?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. i could help i am quite ok with nameing things

Conflagration (Huge distructive flame) Tycoons (Like a owner thingy)

Simplyfied its flame owners
    But Conflagration Tycoons Sounds really cool
    I am Narcotick. Fear me.

LO Musicians clan.

+ Reply to Thread