Question about the Cult of the Star Child - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about the Cult of the Star Child

I know the Cult of the Star Child was a cult from around the 2d ed of 40K, a group of the Emperor's immortal, sterile sons working together with Daemonhost's who'd managed to expel the Daemon possessing them to create a new, better god of humanity, the Star Child of the Shining Path, leader of the Numen. I also know that in recent editions they were transformed into a misguided Chaos Cult of Tzeentch, and the Sensei/Illuminati were written out of fluff forevermore. What I want to know, is where exactly is the Cult of the Shining Child referred to as a Tzeentchian cult, and which edition where they rewritten in?

The Grand Necromagus of the LO Codex: Necromancers Design Team.

The Supreme Lance Leader of the Codex: Wasters Design Team.

Cruelty has a Human Heart
    And Jealousy a Human Face
    Terror, the Human Form Divine
    And Secrecy, the Human Dress

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

I can't remember whether it was a specifically Tzeenchian cult, but the Cult of the Star Child was written in as an inquisitorial report at the back of the 3rd edition rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GW basically decided they didn't like where some of the fluff was going and shut down that idea. I don't know why or where but it was earlier this year i saw it for the first time. This could also explain why GW closed down Critical hit. (
    I shall destroy all who stand in my way. The Emperor shall be reborn in me, the Primarchs shall be remade in me. I shall cast down the Dark Gods, the Star Gods shall be consumed just as they consumed their brothers. Those who fell shall be redeemed, those who remained pure shall be rewarded. The Imperium shall regain its power and the Dark Age of Technology will seem like nothing. For I am the Numen and I am coming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a quick question...

I've heard of sensei/Illuminate but what/who is/are it? (If I sound like a noob, I'm sorry)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I didn't come into the hobby until after they were retconned, but here goes:

Way back in the... 2nd edition? The Rogue Trader Era, the Emperor of Humanity was the reincarnation of all of the original psykers (shamans) who had led humanity before the creation of the Chaos Gods. As he walked hidden amongst humanity, he sired numerous offspring, all of whom were immortal (in that they didn't die of old age) and psychic blanks (Untouchables/Pariahs), which meant he didn't know they existed. These are the Sensei (I think, I might have the titles backwards), and their destiny is to replace their father and, with the Starchild, forge the Numen, the Shining Path of Humanity.

When the Emperor was confined to the Golden Throne, he cast out the part of his soul that had once been human, all of his goodness, his gentleness and purity, leaving only the cold, harsh, disciplined entity that remained. This seperate part became an individual entity; the Starchild.

The Illuminati are former Daemonhosts, all of whom have, occasionally with aid from, say, the Eldar, managed to expel the Daemon from their soul. They are bitter enemies of Chaos and are psykers of incredible might, with the added bonus that they can longer be possessed. They work to find and educate the Sensei as to their destiny.

All of this has been retconned, and I for one don't miss it, but some people refer to it, like the way people still refer to Malal.
    The Grand Necromagus of the LO Codex: Necromancers Design Team.

The Supreme Lance Leader of the Codex: Wasters Design Team.

Cruelty has a Human Heart
    And Jealousy a Human Face
    Terror, the Human Form Divine
    And Secrecy, the Human Dress

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

You're spot on but it was the first edition and all of this great fluff can be found in the ancient and rare as rocking horse **** Slaves to Darkness hardback monster volume worth about a million pounds from Ebay. There's more in the companion Lost and the Damned volume which followed.

The Inquisition still hunt the Sensei and Illuminati as they're considered traitors and heretics, trying to overthrow the Emperor. The Sensei and their mates use the Black Library and work with the Harlequins on special missions. At least that's what the fluff tells us. It's all good stuff from then GW had an imagination and weren't Slaves to their Accountants.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i remember correctly the Illuminati (ex deamonhosts) had planned that once the Emporrer finally said die and gave up, they would sacrifice all the Sensei, so that the Emporer would be reborn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea was to use the sensei to revitalize the emperor and restore his power so he could destroy the chaos gods in the warp and then be reborn. I think its great fluff and should have been kept around, it gives hope for humanity, instead of this its the end of the universe and we're just waiting for it to come.

Oh, yea, this is my 250th post so now i'm a senior member.
    I shall destroy all who stand in my way. The Emperor shall be reborn in me, the Primarchs shall be remade in me. I shall cast down the Dark Gods, the Star Gods shall be consumed just as they consumed their brothers. Those who fell shall be redeemed, those who remained pure shall be rewarded. The Imperium shall regain its power and the Dark Age of Technology will seem like nothing. For I am the Numen and I am coming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

So...when?

Hmmm. I seem to recall that the Sensei, although not psychic in the standard sense, could still manipulate warp energy. Not really important I guess, but I did always like the idea of the hidden cabal within the already secretive inquisition. You're saying that they've totally disowned this fluff then? I thought that there was a branch of Inquisitors in the game of the same name that similarly wanted to revitalize/replace the Emperor. I wouldn't know for sure since I don't own a copy of that book, but I did read Slaves to Darkness back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Grey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the horses mouth:

If this has been disowned then copyright shouldn't be a problem.

Sensei are not conventional psykers, like those of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica for example, but they are capable of using positive warp energy with remarkable results. When ordinary psykers utilise warp energy for their powers, they not only capture positive energy, but also negative as well. Sometimes a psyker captures too much of the latter and is permanently effected by it, such as attracting daemons or going insane. But Sensei are immune to the predations of malevolent warp entities - they cannot experience hate, bitterness, or irrational anger; the disharmony of these emotions brings the individual to the attention of Daemons. They are also 'psychic blanks' which makes them immune to the senses of psykers.

When a Sensei uses his powers he channels warp energy from the 'positive mass' that is the Star Child (see below). So for example, a Sensei can harness the protective powers of the Star Child to shield himself, or his companions, from harm. He could also channel this positive energy into attacks which have devastating consequences for daemonic foes and even remove Chaos taint entirely so that even the most disgusting mutant (including Champions of Chaos) can be free of corruption. Sensei cannot hurl balls of fire at enemies because such power derives from negative warp energy.

Even a Sensei may not be aware of his true nature until he meets another of his kind. He is simply a man who does not age. Only when he meets, or is drawn to, another Sensei does the truth emerge. The new Sensei is taught that he has other abilities: the power to tap warpspace and channel the energy gained into combat; the power to sense Daemons and feel disturbances in the flow of the warp; the power to remain hidden from any psyker. Once trained the new Sensei is inducted into the 'Brotherhood', and burdened with the knowledge of his fate: to battle against Chaos. They gather followers and await the final, terrible battle with the forces of Chaos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast