Warp Size... continued - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warp Size... continued

hey i had a thread about the size of the warp which got closed for getting "off-topic" but i really enjoyed the discussion for those of you who posted in the previous thread and you wish to continue the topic of tyranid biology then you may or may not notice that i have started a thread on this topic so you can post there if you wish to keep on with that topic.

"A souls screams are merely their cries of thanks to the Chaos
    Gods!" -Brigand

"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away!" -Abbadon The Despoiler

The Kroot: You are what you eat.
    Tyranids: YOU are what WE eat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Well, i didn't post in the other one so I might as well post in this. The warp is infinite, it has no size. It exists at the edge of reality, just beyond normal human perception, another dimension if you will. It has no end. In the warp, as we all know, exist entities called daemons, which are manifestations of all living creatures feelings and emotions. The biggest concentrations of these swirling edies of power, are the big four. Not all daemons ally with those four, but many do. There are some minor daemons or "demi gods" of varying power, but no where near the power of the big four of course.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

I would have posted this in the previous one but it was so off topic it was not worth the time.

I see the Warp as similar to "the space between the Spheres" in Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, Or like how some Occultist view Limbo-

Esentially there are no forms or physical dimensions just a vague sense of form and existing as what is effectively a sprit.

Tokyo 3, wrecking your buildings and killing your "dudes". No, actually, the Netherlands...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, the warp is infinate but where there are no living/thinking/emotional creatures, there wouldn't be so must currents and eddies...

So travel outside OUR galaxy would be really s...l...o...w...

Open your mind, for the forbidden, unholy and dreadful knowledge of a Fluff Master...

Phobovores - Forever lost in all eternity...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

Why would it be slow? If anything one would think it was faster due to the lack of emotion (hence no daemons) however for the Imperium its too far away from the Astronomicon to get back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, for all i know, the navigators focus at the astronomicon for reasons of knowing where they are in the warp. if they are traveling to a place where there is no known source of psychic activity, there is nothing to "grab hold of" and "aim at". so moving through the warp blindly would give somewhat strange results.

think of it as you are standing in the middle of a room, with your eyes covered so you can't see. a friend is in an other point of a room. when you say "marco" he answers "polo". you orient yourself to the sound of your voice, and move towards it. how can you start moving to a fixed point, when you don't know where it is, because it's not giving off any sounds? you would just be moving blindly. and that makes warptravel dangerous, with the daemon, and the blabla, and whatever else lives in there. warp travel outside the galaxy wouldn't be slow. it would be pointless literalely, because you do not know where you are going.
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by TehDarkPredator
    IMO, the warp is infinate but where there are no living/thinking/emotional creatures, there wouldn't be so must currents and eddies...

So travel outside OUR galaxy would be really s...l...o...w...
    Ummm... no "living/thinking/emotional creatures"? Thats what daemons are my friend. Yes, they don't think or feel or have emotions in any way us mortals would be able to understand, but they exsist and do have all those things. Hence all the dangers of traveling in the warp. And all the accidents where the ship's shields fail, and in come the daemons ripping souls out and keeping you in conctant torment for eternity, etc. etc.
    -Charles Manson

Super Villians
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by numberofthebeastxxx
    Ummm... no "living/thinking/emotional creatures"? Thats what daemons are my friend. Yes, they don't think or feel or have emotions in any way us mortals would be able to understand, but they exsist and do have all those things.
    But they're just reflections of the emotions of sentient beings cast in the warp. They can't affect the warp themselves, or create new daemons by being emotional. They're like hollow, one dimensional versions of living creatures. I don't even think most of them are particularly sentient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    But they're just reflections of the emotions of sentient beings cast in the warp. They can't affect the warp themselves, or create new daemons by being emotional. They're like hollow, one dimensional versions of living creatures. I don't even think most of them are particularly sentient.
    Correct, to an extent. Lesser daemons and such are one dimensional straight forward things. However, the bigger more powerful daemons (greater daemons, daemon princes, the big 4, and various other classifications of daemons), do think and adapt and learn, etc. Yes, there are way more minor daemons than there are big powerful ones. A greater daemon or dameon prince of significant power could manipulate warp currents if they so choose, since their power is drawn from the warp. In the novel: "Pawns of Chaos" a greater daemon of tzeentch created a warp storm to corner off an entire Imperial Fleet. Daemonhosts are another example of intelligent daemons. In the Eisenhorn Series they showed the ability to think, interact with their environment, adapt to new cituations, and even carry on witty conversation. Hence why I said the daemons that can think, do. But on an entirely different level than our own. And there is no hope that we would ever understand it.
    -Charles Manson

Super Villians
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

Minor and greater daemons are concentrations of emotions manipulated by the Warp (or the other way around), as minor daemons are just pawns, simply pure concentrations. Greater daemons in opinion (which they are) just simply avatars. So they mimic a greater entity, intelligence include. However I would go as far as to say that Bloodthirsters are still one-sided, caring little about manipulation and politics. They stick to their hobby of collecting:w00t:skulls:sleep: .

+ Reply to Thread