Are there SM legions on IG worlds? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there SM legions on IG worlds?

Like the title says, are there any Space Marine Chapters based on worlds where the Imperial Guard take troops from? Specifically i mean worlds like Cadia, Valhalla, Catachan, etc. Would there really be a need for it, I mean, with an already overwhelming military presence on a world would it be neccessary? Granted the Imperium isn't exactly the best example of rationality. Any help in this would be most useful.

This night is wild, so cold and dull, these hearts they race from self control

Carpe Noctem (because Diem is too bright)

Blood Angels Wins:6-Draws:0-Losses:5...apparently i'm doing decently for a guy who randomly charges into certain oblivion

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

It isn’t very common, but it does happen. However, Space Marines usually have their own planets from which they collect new initiates for their Chapter, and these planets pay no other tithe to the Imperium than these recruits, not in money nor in troops for the Imperial Guard. This is because Space Marines prefer to take initiates from death worlds or feral worlds in particular, harsh places where only the strongest can survive; usually the population is scarce, at a low technological level, and with a tribal warrior culture that makes for good Space Marines but really bad Imperial Guardsmen.

However, some Space Marine Chapters also collect recruits from civilised worlds, an arrangement usually dictated by tradition rather than an actual need. The Imperial Fists, for instance, have had a Chapter outpost on Necromunda since before the Heresy, and they still collect recruits from among the Underhive gangs of the Hive World. The Ultramarines also recruit from civilised planets, and while the planets under their command aren’t required to pay a tithe in the form of Imperial Guardsmen on account of being under the rule of a Space Marine Chapter, the worlds have prospered to such a degree from following the teachings of Roboute Guilliman that they are able to give rise to massive Planetary Defence Forces that in many ways are superior to even a standard Imperial Guard regiment; the PDF companies are in fact often used off-world like the Imperial Guard, and it is not uncommon for them to fight side by side with the Ultramarines themselves either.

As for the planets you mention, I am not aware of any Chapter with an actual outpost on those planets; however, that doesn’t mean that Space Marine Chapter engaged in prolonged wars near or on those planets won’t draw recruits directly from the local population if they find an individual that impresses them suitably. Especially Catachan, being a death world, would seem a likely source of recruits, but I’m guessing most Space Marine Chapters aren’t all that fussy. It really depends on the Chapter, though; the fleet-based Chapters seem more likely to pick up recruits wherever they can find them, whereas Chapters traditionally based on a few or even a single planet, such as the Blood Angels, would probably prefer to collect recruits from their own planet(s) alone.

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Like Grephaun said, it really depends on the Chapter in question. And what your definition of "IG worlds" is. If you mean "recruiting" as in it's a regular business, then no. If a Chapter picks a homeworld to recruit Aspirants from, it's generally very hard to get any decent Imperial Guard recruits from there, because in those kinds of worlds the strong ones get turned into Space Marines and the weak ones end up dead at sixteen. I mean, Fenris is thirty degrees below on average. The Salamander's planet is mostly one giant volcano. The White Scar's homeworld is embroiled in constant war. Baal doesn't even have a breathable atmosphere, for God's sake. Can you imagine setting up an IG recruiting station on a world with no real atmosphere?

Of course, then there's the matter than IG rarely mix with Space Marines outside of combat. In terms of training, their methods are vastly different, and the kind of people you get in the Imperial Guard just aren't the same people you would want to become a Space Marine. In certain situations, such as the Imperial Fists and Necromunda, a Chapter may recruit from a planet that also provides IG, but on a general basis Space Marines prefer the kind of world with poison gas, carnivorous plants and a planetwide population of less than fifty thousand. And that's not a smart place to go recruit cannon fodder.

Which just gave me an excellent idea in regards to a Catachan Space Marine Chapter. No...no, it'd never work. Forget I said anything.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well ze_poodle, thats exactly why i asked in the first place. last night i was reading in my lair and it dawned on me! Catachan, being a primitive deathworld and all, would be a superb place to recruit Space Marines from. I mean, look at the regular men who grow up on Catachan, they're overly muscular, i sized them up and they're as tall as marines (i'm not sure what that means exactly, but its good for modelling purposes) and i already have 3 squads of marines that i've mixed the bitz in to. they were Blood Angels succesors who were Native American themed, but i never marked them or anything, so i was thinking "They could be a chapter from Catachan!" and so the Catachan Devils (i thought the name was nice) were born in my mind. thoughts?

Blood Angels Wins:6-Draws:0-Losses:5...apparently i'm doing decently for a guy who randomly charges into certain oblivion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DO IT! Why not? Catachan being a death world and all. I've read the thoughts, and drawing recruits from Catachan would make a strong marine chapter. Might want to reconsider the name: I believe the Catachan Devils is the name given to a part of the Catachan IG regiment. Maybe... I don't actually have the IG codex...
    Lord Baal of the Ordo Sanguinius Clan

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps they could be based on another death world and you could use the chapter traits to make them really sneaky. Plus scouts with camoflaged armour and cloaks would be cool. Another way to add theme would be to stick with light veichles like land speeders and use dreadnaughts rather than tanks which would get bogged down in the jungle terrain.
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dreads or landspeeders arent really jungle machines. include imperial guard sentinels
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i have a starting list for the army here http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=54932 ([1000pts] Slayers of Catachan (Divergent Chapter))

ideas? i'm trying not to use a lot of vehicles, and i dont have much more than 10 marines built and around 15 marines in pieces, along with my librarian and captain which are scratch-built. i have some money from christmas, so what should i buy, if anything?

+ Reply to Thread