Daemonhunters fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Daemonhunters fluff

I've trawled through countless webpages, forums, the DH codex and 4th edition rulebook for any clues whatsoever to get me started on some fluff for my DH force, and although I've got a few basics there are still some things I need a bit of advice on. My force is a puritan one with fairly heavy reliance on the Grey Knights, my main HQ units are a GK Grand Master and an Inquisitor Lord, I'm also pretty much totally reliant on my Grey Knights and GK Termies for any CC, although I do have an Eversor as well as two Death Cultists on which to squander much needed points. I've also got a few Inquisitor builds and retinues to cover shooty, anti-armour and assaulty, and also another build that's about as anti-Chaos as they come. The main oppo I've got are a Khorne/ Nid player, a Dark Eldar (spit spit) player and a Tau player, but there's a Witch Hunter who said he'd give me a game if I could find a feasibly fluffy reason for the two Ordos to have a rowdy-down. As such I'm sort of working my fluff around the opposition I've got.

The rough idea I had was that my army was based around Inquisitor Lord Raul FĂșser, an Ordo Malleus veteran with a great deal of experience in his belt, currently investigating a suspected demonic incursion on a small, recently converted agri-world near Okassis. An Ordo Xenos Inquisitor was sent to investigate reports from the plantary governor of Tau transmissions, offering him all sorts of rewards if he abandoned his commitment to the Imperium and took the cause of the Greater Good as his own. When the Xenos Inquisitor arrived on the planet he found that the main city and it's spaceport had been ravaged; the devastation and slaughter was of such a horrifying extent that he imediately suspected a daemonic influence and called in the Ordo Malleus. FĂșser was dispatched, and brought along with him the squad of Grand Master Decius Tiber, a long-standing comrade of FĂșser's to whom the Inquisitor owes his life, as well as a few squads of Inquisitorial StormTroopers (all of whom have Veteran Sergeants attached due to the need for tele homers; I'm toying with the idea of making one of the Vets into a character on his own but their penchant for dying like dogs means it would be difficult). By the time FĂșser has any real presence on the forsaken world the place is falling apart; there are reports of heretical sects in the south of the planet performing blood rituals and calling upon the darker powers. To FĂșser's seasoned ears it has the hallmarks of a Khornate cult, however there are rumours that a certain Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor is currently racing towards the planet to wage his own war on the heathens, convinced that they are withces rather than daemonic Chaos filth.
    Add to this the fact that the Tau are still persisting in their efforts to turn the planet and the general close vicinity to a massive Tyranid Hive Fleet, and there's a lot of potential for friction.

There are probably a helluva lot of holes there to pick, but it's my rough draft so that's what it's there for . One big concern I have is with the naming conventions of single squads and the force as a whole; it's an Inquisitorial strike force, and from what I've read although it's not impossible and indeed would be likely for GK Grand Masters to form friendships with Inquisitors, the Grey Knight squads under the Grand Master's command would be unlikely to form part of a standing army at the Inquisitor's disposal; they come in when they're needed, they do their job and then head off back to Titan as far as I can see. As such I don't really know wether to give my force a name (like you would do if you were creating a Space Marine Chapter etc.), or wether to just leave it as it is, i.e the nameless throng backing up Inquisitor Lord FĂșser. With regard to the individual squads evidence from the Space Marines suggests they are named after their Sergeants, but since I'm too cack-handed to paint names onto my Justicar's shoulders I'm probably just going to draw squiggles on the scrolls and give each squad an individual marking, then number them, and do the same with the Terminator squads. If that's too unfluffy then I'll stick to the fluff and I'll just have to get better at painting ;p

The other big thing that's bothering me is the whole Witch Hunters thing. From what I've read about the Inquisition as a whole the different Ordos work in close conjunction with one another and will ally rather than fight if there is a threat which falls under both of their jurisdictions. The only real way I can justify getting into a ruck with the WH is if the WH Inquisitor was a radical and did something daemon-y or suitably radical to offend my puritan lad; the main problem being that the bloke I'm playing has a puritan WH force ^_^. I'm now considering either binning the idea of WH from my fluff and just giving the bloke a good kicking as a one-off (bints in power armour versus the greatest warriors mankind has to offer, pfff...) or possibly making FĂșser a competitive jerk who wants to destroy the sect on his own so he can have a brag about it. Leaning more towards the jerk thing than the binning thing, but if it's still a stretch too far I'm not unwilling to bin it completely.

The last thing I'm bothered about is the naming of the planet all this is taking place on ^_^. That's not to say these are the only problems my fluff has, and if there's anything you see that's unfluffy, unfeasible or just plain wrong then please let me know. I really like the Daemonhunters and I enjoy playing them, so I want their fluff to be as good as it can be.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

The ways of the Inquisition are not privy to everyone. It could be that The Ordo mallus has diccovered some terrible and arcane secret that there can be NO witnesses even those from the Inquisition. Or perhaps the Inquisition suspects the other of deamonic possession (whether this is true or not is irrelevant).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

It would be a nice idea; one Inquisitor's zeal makes him see daemonic posession everywhere even when it's not, although it's a bit more of a fruitcake than I really want to make my Inq. I like the horrible secret though, I think I'll steal that, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Well, the Inquisition is known to destroy complete loyalist army groups if they have experienced combat with chaos (to prevent the taint spreading). Even Puritan inquisitors do this, so it's not going to affected by your man's stance.

Perhaps the two forces clashed over the issue? WH guy doesn't like the idea of bombing your own men, while DH guy feels it's sad but very necassary? Could provide an interesting plot hook, thousands of lives at stake while the two forces fight it out whether or not to fire the virus-bombs.

Oh and I just noticed your home-town - great place
    Last edited by Addoran; February 14th, 2006 at 13:32.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

The very easiest way (and possibly lamest?) explanation for any "civil war" situation Ultramarines Vs Space wolves etc) is just to say that it isn't a proper battle but a training excersise to test the two forces..... Though I doubt the Grey Knights have such training with other forces.......

Or when I was 10 and asked my brother why his space marines were fighting his mates space marines "yeah shocking isn't it?..... don't tell the Emperor".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Berny Mac
    ...when I was 10 and asked my brother why his space marines were fighting his mates space marines "yeah shocking isn't it?..... don't tell the Emperor".

LOL! Thats the greatest explanation EVER!!! :w00t:

Anyways, Heathen, I've seem to come up against the same problem. Trying to fit many different armies and races in a campaign that all oppose each other. Its espicially difficult when its Imperial versus Imperial, aren't they supposed to be on the same side?

What I've come to realize is that the world of Warhammer 40K is a bad. bad place where all sorts of nasty things happen. Friend will turn on friend, ally on ally, just to further thier own goals. No one, espically those in power, are exempt from being corrupt.

Lucky for you, the Inquisition personifies this idea. Be they Malleus, Hereticus, or Xenos, they are a nasty breed, willing to sacrifice everything or anyone for the "good" of the Imperium, or themselves. Like Berny Mac and Addoran said, the Inquisition have been known to put to death the very army it raised to fight choas, just because they suspected they might possibly be infected. Again, very nasty people.

Possibly the Witch Hunters were there first, hunting down the witch cultists and heretics, showing force as to dissuade the local populus from defecting to the Tau Empire. When they found that the cultists were trying to summon a demon/uncovering demonic artefacts, they sent word to the Ordo Malleus for aid, as they cant really handle demon infestation that well. Being the orthodox Puritan that he is, he suspects that the Witch Hunters have spent too long in and around the taint of chaos, and are now so permeated with its evil stink that they MUST be put to death, lest they spread this horrible infection. Catching wind of the DH plan to exterminatus the planet, they send a small strike-force (did somebody say Kill-Team?) to stop the heretically over-zealous and definatly insane Deamon Hunter. The confronation can build from there...

...or you could just go ahead with the fight...but shhh, don't tell them Emperor!

Just some ideas...
    Last edited by Son Of The Forge; February 14th, 2006 at 18:06.

This was a triumph...
    I'm making a note here:
    HUGE SUCCESS
    Its hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Adeptus Mechanicus;
    We do what we must because we can
    for the good all of us,
    except the ones who are dead...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I like that, the only problem I can see is that I initially wanted to have the slaughter be the work of a Dark Eldar raid (let's face it they're as much servants of Chaos as any of the traitor legions, depending on how you interpret their fluff ^^) so I had an excuse to stomp'em, but going back to what Addoran said, it's all about what the Inquisitors suspect rather than what's actually happening.

I'm liking the input so far, I've started actually putting a bit of back story on paper (MS Word ;P) so hopefully I should have something good soon.

+ Reply to Thread