Dark Angel Investigations. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Dark Angel Investigations.

This topic may have been discussed already but I did a search and couldn't find anything so here goes.....

How exactly do the Dark Angels go about hunting the Fallen considering that they don't tell anyone about it (i.e no non Dark Agel contacts) including some members of their own chapter?

In addition its not as if they would have much success turning up to battle every time a black armoured choas space marine appears, they would constantly be fighting the Black legion afterall.

In addition in the 2nd edition codex it points out that some the fallen have taken on new lives away from war, the Dark Angels wouldn't have a hope of finding these.

My only conclusion can be that either the Dark Angels are simply NOT very good at hunting the fallen and won't succeed in finding all of them (probably the case anyway)

Or that they have other methods of seeking the fallen out.

Perhaps they are more precise with the "clean up" side of military operations, staying on a planet to secure its defences etc which would give them access to the planetry records and archives under the pretense of tightening the defensees and rooting out any further traitors or cults etc but really to find any hints of the activites or presence of their fallen brethern.

This is just a thought what does anyone else think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under the impression that the Dark Angels do just that, racing off around the galaxy following vague rumours or mysterious black armoured renegade space marines. As a result they virtually refuse to obey orders from Imperial commanders and work entirely to their own mysterious agenda. Also, in terms of investigations, only the deathwing know the truth of what happened, and as a result each individual deathwing is an expert at investigating these rumours. Read Angels of Darkness. Fantastic book, all about the Fallen. Shows a very intimate and complex veiw of the Dark Angels, and helps you see quite why the Fallen did what they did, and why the whole chapter still has some serious issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Well, there's always the possibility of them keeping their ears open for reports of odd renegade marines being spotted and then deploying under some pretext to see if they can gather more information.

Something I'd point out though, a lot of the fallen operate offensively against the Dark Angels and so can be taken in combat directly. Think of the novel Angels of Darkness. Or the after action reports of the EOT, where the Fallen launched an offensive against the ruins of Caliban. Such was the Dark Angel's success countering this attack than an "unprecendeted" number of fallen were captured. I'd imagine most of the fallen the DA capture fall into this category.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

That all seems consistant. The only problem for the DA then is that if a fallen were to just say "Right I quit"and take up a job on some mining world working in the deepest pit he could find (granted a seven foot giant would be conspicious but anyway) he would never be caught?.

Oh who was the author of Angels of Darkness sounds good.

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Berny Mac
    That all seems consistant. The only problem for the DA then is that if a fallen were to just say "Right I quit"and take up a job on some mining world working in the deepest pit he could find (granted a seven foot giant would be conspicious but anyway) he would never be caught?.

Oh who was the author of Angels of Darkness sounds good.
    The sockets and studs are a little harder to conceal, but hey everybody has a

Gav Thorpe wrote Angels of Darkness. (Thanks Brazerc)

I'll weigh in with a few hypotheticals. I'm sure the Librarians and Psykers of the Chapter are Data-mining the psychic transmissions sent through the Warp for rumors.
    Once they find a possible, they follow it up personally.

Another hypothetical possibility that gets overlooked is that each Chapter of Marines has servants, lot of human servants. They can get out there where the Unforgiven can't go without raising suspicions. Thus they have spies out there amongst the stars. Obviously trusted spies and ones that have proven themselves to the Inner Circle to be partially inducted into the Deathwing. (They are servants after all.)

Shadow Guard, who runs a personal website called the Fortress of the Unforgiven had another option that seems very plausible. As a member of the Deathiwng advances to a point where they could run a Company, they are given a second option. They join what is called the Knights of the Order after the Knights on Caliban who found the Lion. They are essentially DW marines that split off from the Chapter (and are marked as killed in the Chapter's roster) to hunt for the Fallen like an Inquisitor. The Knights may work alone or in teams as they are treated like SF Operators. If they need help, then they send a signal back to the Chapter and the brothers are mobilized to help.
    Last edited by Grand Master Belial; February 14th, 2006 at 16:54.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

I like all those ideas. Expanding on the idea of servants some of them could actualy be servitors with the specific task of going through pages and pages of archives (shipping lane logs, Imperial commander reports, PDF pirate raid reports etc). They would be partially mind wiped so they wouldn't know the meaning of their findings but have been programmed to look for certain key words or phrases.

On a tangental note about Fallen trying to create a new life if you look at the WH40K art work the galaxy is populated with, lets be frank, Freaks. (just look at the pit slaves in Necromunda, or Ogyrans [sp?]). At a pinch it probably wouldn't be too hard for a Space marine to blend in in certain situations, as long as he didn't go to the doctor (with his constitution no fear of that) or accidentally spit......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fallen

The book itself was a great read, The website is quite informative to it is what led me into constructing my chaos fallen army. Of course i do not have alot put together at this point 3 tacticle marines sergant and cypher as well as a rhino to cart them in. The author of angel of darkness is Gav Thorp if you look on amazon.com you can find the book in good condition for cheap, it is a good read. i have yet decided to make the angel of blades yet .
    This bites ran out the door without my
    crozius again....

There is No time for peace

No respite

No forgiveness

There is only WAR

The US Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

At a pinch it probably wouldn't be too hard for a Space marine to blend in in certain situations, as long as he didn't go to the doctor (with his constitution no fear of that) or accidentally spit......
    They better not end up on an Agri-world where the locals use chewing tobacco.

"What do you mean you don't use chew! Everyone uses it in these parts."

-Later-

"Well good golly, this em here spitoon seems to have a hole in the bottom. That must some good tobaccey!"

Though the Doctor thing has always been a sticking point with me in the fluff. According to the Creation of a Space Marine Fluff. Marines never stop needing regular injections to maintain their altered physique. This leaves the Fallen SOL which means that eventually they'll suffer some kind of chemical imbalance in their body and die due to organ failure. Unless the Fallen raid a Space Marine Apothecarium to get the necessary drugs but I don't think they'll know the dosages or if their suits administer a different amount or drug type because they would be fighting.

It's one of those loose threads that GW hasn't tidied up yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

Here is an idea- the fallen were created during the time of the Primarchs hence there creation arguably was using purer (at least in terms of medical practices) methods than the present methods of Space marine creation hence they don't suffer from the same chemical imbalances, there body is self regulating. (Perhaps the chemical injections are in fact a method of controll introduced later).

In terms of Investigation presumabaly all the Unforgiven Chapters would pool their knowledge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

(Perhaps the chemical injections are in fact a method of controll introduced later).

In terms of Investigation presumabaly all the Unforgiven Chapters would pool their knowledge.
    Very possible.

I remember in 2nd Ed Fluff that the Unforgiven Chapters have a Conclave every few years with all the Supreme Grand Masters of the Unforgiven Chapters to do that very thing. It was always lead by the Dark Angels SGM (Azrael).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast