Is the laughing god actually the deceiver? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Is the laughing god actually the deceiver?

I've had a lot of discussions on this, and many people are trying to tell me otherwise but I don't buy it. After reading the fluff on the website and the necron codex, and harlequin codex i've come to some conclusions.

1. The deceiver enjoys life and drinks in all its sensations, and he dislikes the nightbringer immensely, as the nightbringer would scour everything from the cosmos (if the deceiver and nightbringer hadn't both realized they would die with no food). The laughing god gave kaine inside information on defeating the nightbringer (during the ancient war) that only a c'tan would know.

2. Posing as the laughing god is completely in character, and the deceiver would take great joy in manipulating his greatest enemies in this way.

3.The harlequin and necron tales of the outsider eating its fellows are too similar. It is quite possible that the deceiver posed as the laughing god to trick its fellows.

4. The laughing god and deceiver have never been seen fighting each other, or even in the same area. Although this could be due to the fact that the laughing god rarely shows itself, I don't buy it.

5.Aiding the harlequin in its battles with chaos also wouldn't have hurt the deceiver's plans. It would likely give him great joy to see another annoying race taken out of the picture.

6.The necron codex lays out that the deceiver has both employed a dizzying array of forms and spent millenia abroad hatching plans. Who knows, it might not only be the deceiver and laughing god, but may also be other gods that races worship.

Last edited by mephistophales; March 17th, 2006 at 19:51.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Not all things are linked to the C'tan!

Short answer: Sorry, No.

Long answer: This idea has been brought up and discussed ad naseum on the forum already.

Here's a link (Old Ones and Eldar Gods).

Here's another (The 4 C'tan Gods).

Really long answer: If after reading those threads you still think the Laughing God and the Deciever are one and the same creature, I'll write out the really long answer.

Just remember that it is possible to have more than one trickster type powerful being in the universe at a time.
    Last edited by Grey; March 17th, 2006 at 20:03.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Not all things are linked to the C'tan!
    Yes, that what they want you to think......

Seriously, Grey is right, people easily confuse them as they have similar traits but they are two entirely seperate entitys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

Well, if the laughing god lives in the warp then i'm definately wrong. Could you give me a codex entry (p#) so I could see it for myself, or is it just from the books?
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Well, i'm not sure on any specific pages but remember one thing- time.

If they are one and the same why the hell was the deceiver active at the fall of the eldar anyway? at that time all of the c'tan where in hibernation after the war in the heaven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

Well, (necron codex) says he was the last to go. we don't know when he actually went into hibernation.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

No, no, no and dammit no again - I'll second that for all the reasons said previous.

Firstly of the Eldar gods were gods of the warp, there's no need to reference it as it's a basic 40k fact. Kurnous, Isha, Khaine and the great Laughing god all communicated to their Eldar "children". The fact that the very existance of the Warp is anathema to the C'tan is enough alone is disprove the connection.

Let's look at the timeframe, at the time of the birth of Slanneesh and the begginning of the great crusade the C'tan were clearly stated to be asleep, it is only as we approach the 40th millenium that the C'tan have been waking up. That's why you "never see the two in the same place", which is hardly proof in itself.

There's two basic reasons typically why people mistake the two. Firstly the similiarity of the names - Laughing God and the Deceiver is sometimes referred to as the Jackal God.

Laughing God =/ Jackal God.

Let's look at the history. The other biggest causes of confusion is that it is stated variously that the Laughing God and the Deceiver both tricked the C'tan into eating each other, making people to prematurely jump to the conclusion they are the same being.

Closer reading indicates that the Deceiver was the one who caused the Nightbringer to consume it's fellows and drive it insane, while it was the Laughing God who tricked the Outsider to start eating it's fellow C'tan.

That's it - conspiracy theory over.

Closed Thread