Age of a Space Marine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Age of a Space Marine

What is the average age of a space marine? How long do most commanders, librarians and chaplains live?

The Ten Dimensions

"I read about something like this in a book." "Are you sure it was a book? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?" "...Oh yeah."-Peter and Brian Griffin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

They can live for centuries. Dante, chapter master of the blood angels is about 1100 years old (making him one of the oldest marines ever).

For an average age it depends, I would go for about 150 years as an average age for commanders (some live considerably longer).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean they die of old age?
    Or are you asking how long would they live in battle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They usually wont die of old age if they get that old then they will be put into a dread. And if you count oldest "Marines" then it would be Bjorn the Fell Handed of the Space Wolves.

Erik Moraki's Great Company 16/4/7
    Borgut "SBD" GreatStrider's Ogres 6/1/2
    An'Gorath's World Eaters 3/0/2
    Sigurd GreatFang's Wulfen Host 7/4/3

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that the avg. age is about 200-350 years, getting higher as you get to the upper ranks. Without the benefit of a dreadnought, I think I heard something like 800 years is considered "old age" for a marine.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I very much doubt Commander Dante is 1100 years old... I'm fairly sure Chaplian Cassius of the Ultramarines is only 300 or 400 years old and he's considered ancient by space marine standards. I'd say the average commander or vetern is around 150-250 years old, with standard marines being around 75-150.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well yea, most regular marines can live for hundreds and hundreds of years (depending on how well they survive battles), but if your talking any marines, alot of Chaos Marines are thousands of years old (mostly at least 10,000 because they have been alive since roughly the Horus Heresy) but they have been influenced by chaos. So while alot of things go into the age of marines they have the potential to be thousands of years old or just a few hundred, it really varies from marine to marine.
    "A souls screams are merely their cries of thanks to the Chaos
    Gods!" -Brigand

"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away!" -Abbadon The Despoiler

The Kroot: You are what you eat.
    Tyranids: YOU are what WE eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends, for example blood angels are marines with a long longevity, bjorn is from space wolves but he is on a dreadnought and usually in extasis field so he does not count for me as commander Dante of blood angels with 1100 years of fighting and the good'ol Cleutin who was the sargeant of Commander Dante´s Scout Squad at the time Dante joined the Blood Angels. Chaos marines lives on the warp, and the time there does not exist like galaxy real time. But for example lucius is inmmortal thx to slannesh.
    Last edited by mente enjambre; March 21st, 2006 at 03:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx
    I very much doubt Commander Dante is 1100 years old... I'm fairly sure Chaplian Cassius of the Ultramarines is only 300 or 400 years old and he's considered ancient by space marine standards. I'd say the average commander or vetern is around 150-250 years old, with standard marines being around 75-150.
    It's stated directly in the Blood Angels codex that he is over a millennia old. Blood Angels have notorious longevity, unusual even for Space Marines.

Space Marines don't, as a general rule, die of old age. This is generally because they theorectically can't - their implants prevent their bodies from decaying in that way - and because they usually die of other circumstances beforehand, for example, a battlecannon shell to the head. However, each Marine can be expected to live for a few hundred years, at least.

If you look at pictures of Sergeants and Vet. Sergeants, you'll see they usually have metal studs planted in their skulls. Those are called centurion studs, and each one represents one century of service. Since most Veteran Sergeants have two or three of those, you can estimate that they are pretty old indeed. But yes, for the average Space Marine chapter, one hundred is considered young, two hundred to three hundred is their prime, and four hundred is where they start to "age," as far as they can actually age. Their physical prowess doesn't deteriorate, but they lose all their hair and get a generally ancient look. Commanders and Librarians can expect to be near three hundred.

This has been discussed before in far greater detail than I can right now, so do a search if you're interested any further.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Indeed, ze_poodle pretty much summed it up.

I very much doubt Commander Dante is 1100 years old... I'm fairly sure Chaplian Cassius of the Ultramarines is only 300 or 400 years old and he's considered ancient by space marine standards.
    Ancient by UM standards, not SM. Furthermore Dante is likely older than 1100, he has been Commanding for 1100 years, so he's got time before that even. The ultramarines are considered the measuring stick for all others, so you can assume that their average age is about where SM's should be. However the BA have naturally longer lives than most...although even thats up for speculation. Could be they just have a habit of surviving longer, and that all SM's are essentially capable of living a millenia, just die sooner.

Its true very few if any marines die of old age, battle is pretty much the only way out for them. I'd imagine if a marine was dying of old age it wouldn't be slowly like normal humans do but a quick slide, perhaps only taking a month or so. The marine would be getting to the point of death, and then would develop sickness like symptoms as his internal organs,including the extra ones, shut down. I can't really see a marine actually gradually becoming less and less cognet, as marines are built to be strong, and any weakness in an old battle-brother would probably mean the marine would be asked to end his own life. Though all this is only speculation. Like has been mentioned, a marine very well might not be able to die.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast