The fluff for my Chapter: Emerald Dragons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fluff for my Chapter: Emerald Dragons

Founded at the closing of the 39th Millenium, the Emerald Dragons were created to help protect the Eastern Fringe against the various threats confronting the Imperium. They were granted the homeworld of Illiria, located far to the galactic north of Ultrimar. There they have created a similarly productive, powerful, and stable base of operations at the mid-eastern fringe of the Ultima Segmentum. They have faced many foes over their history. Foremost was when a splinter of Hive Fleet Kraken decended upon the chapter's home world. A few companies, along with regiments of the Imperial Guard planetary defense force, held out long enough for several reinforcing companies to arrive and annihilate the Tyranid threat.

A thourghly un-orthodox chapter, they seem to regard to Codex Astartes as a guidebook rather then a fixed piece of dogma. Questioned about this apparent deviation their current Master commented "If every chapter was the same they would be predicable. If every chapter was predicable, it would be destroyed. If the Chapters were destroyed the Imperium would fall." Each of their 10 companies is an independant fighting force, though they frequently reorganise to keep most of the companies at nearly full-strength. Another way they diverge from the Codex is that each company appears to be slightly larger then normally allowed. Reliable sources are hard to come by but estimated strength is 1100-1300 marines if all companies were at full strength.

Their homeworld is the center of their power from which they have expanded to colonize and develop every planet within their own system. Indeed, their home system is clearly one of the most powerful and well-protected systems in the whole of the Eastern Fringe, only Macragge itself may possess heavier defenses. Colonists from this system have recently begun in the last century to begin colonizing the surrounding systems, with large troop contingents sent to protect and assist the colonists. Diplomats, traders, observers, and periodic visits from companies of the Emerald Dragons have made clear that they consider any event within about 500 light years of Illiria their direct responsibility. To cement this no fewer then 3 companies are ever on Illiria at any time. Though they tend to be ones that have suffered heavy losses and are rebuilding their strength.

Of course the Emerald Dragons range farther, sending troops to other campaigns. They have been seen scything through the Orcs on Armegeddeon, repulsing the forces of Chaos near the Cadian Gate, leading attacks on forward bases of the fallen Astral Claws and their traitorous allies near the Maelstrom, indeed the Emerald Dragons and untold regiments of locally recruited Imperial Guard lead a massive crusade toward the galatic core that captured a dozen formerly Orc-held systems.

Another trait of the Emerald Dragons is their pursuit of knowledge. Their Chapter Masters have always strived to accomplish their goals in the most efficient manner. They look for knowledge in all things. They study old records and scour ruins for artifacts. They study captured xeno tech, especially that of the Eldar and Tau to find ways to counter act their weaponry or improve their own. Their Librarians delve deeper then most into the Warp, to learn it's secrets and harness it's powers. This has not gone un-noticed.

Several centuries ago a young, over-zealous, Inquisitor determined to find fault with the Chapter and its methods led an assault on Illiria itself. The attack was defeated, and the Inquisitor killed, however neither side completely trusts the other. They simply watch each other for now, and occasionally spar over bits of technology and arcane artifacts of various sources.

This thirst for knowledge bore much fruit however. The plasma weapons of the Emerald Dragons are much more reliable then is the norm. Explosions and melt-downs still occur but they are far more rare. It is rumored that they have cracked the secrets to the contruction of Landraiders and even Terminator suits in the forges of their Citadel, known as The Lair. The Imperial Guard regiments of Illiria and the surrounding worlds are well trained and superbly equipped. Their system defense fleet, and the Emerald Dragon's own ships are vastly improved over standard Imperial ships of the line. But perhaps the greatest achievement of all is their gene-seed.

The gene-seed which they originally came from is not known. Many of the gene-seeds of the founding legions has been weakened and debased by mutation, save for that of the Ultramarines. As they inherited a number of deficiencies obviously they were not originally from Ultramarines stock. Rumor hints that the progenitor chapter may have been the Salamanders but this is unconfirmed. What is known is that over time, they were able to repair their gene-seed and restore all zygotes to fully funtional status. The drawback to their meddling with the gene-seed was that in addition to restoring all the implants, it also made their adrenal glands swell to nearly twice their normal size. Far from a deviant curse as the Inquisition and Adeptus Mechanicus would say, they view this as a blessing from the Emperor himself as a reward for their efforts!

To thank Him, they undergo additional training to learn how to harness this power and channel it in any variety of usefully destructive ends. It is this 'gift' which gives them their fearsome abilities in hand-to-hand, and causes them to limit the use of swifter vehicles. The Emperor has told them their place, far be it for them to second guess Him!

Last edited by Escaflowne; April 11th, 2006 at 19:41.
    May your aim be true, and your targets plentiful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a great deal more fluff, flair, and history, for both the Chapter and their homeworld (whatelse is down time at work good for?) but I didn't want to bore anyone. Did I mention I've taken several creative writing courses?

Hope you enjoy it the abridged history lesson. As always, constructive critisism is welcomed. Flames will be shot, flamed, assaulted, any survivors will be persecuted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it . And I see you have a liking for the Blood Ravens, and the Utlramarines, and the Salamanders.

What are their colors besides green? I would like to read more if you have any.
    «Ares is the only way to be happy.»

Know Arise a Knight, and go forth and take your vengence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

One or two minor niggles:

SM chapters do not have their own personal IG regiments. This is because of the split that happened after the Heresy; no chapter is allowed to be officially tied to any other organisation so they can't spread corruption. Although you could add this as an extra layer of inquisitorial wariness, it would be ingrained in them as part of their doctrine to prevent heresy.

I'm also not sure how you could get around the xeno weapons research. SMs are indoctrinated to hate xenos from the moment they start their training; how they could consider their weapons to be worthy of research is a sticky point. Marines are not warrior-scholars, they're warrior-monks, and while the techmarines may be able to conduct some research, it would be clouded in AdMech dogma and pressed for time because of their other commitments.

But other than that, good fluff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to touch on Xerxes points as he already has, other than to say that they're valid points.

My issue is primarily with the geneseed comments.

The only original genestock that has sufficient problems to keep it from being used for future chapters is SW and BA. The geneseed tithe that every chapter is required to make on a regular basis serves two purposes: 1) providing additional stock for future chapters, and 2) to allow testing of the geneseed for mutation. Samples showing any signs of mutation are destroyed and an investigation of the chapter providing the sample is started immediately to make sure that if a problem exists, it is dealt with before it can get out of hand.

"Fixing" geneseed isn't done. This is holy stuff we're talking about here as far as they're concerned. The one time that it was attempted yielded the Cursed Founding; they learned their lesson and DON'T DO IT. A lot of people creating DIY chapters fall into the trap of viewing the level of Imperial science as being far in advance of us. They are well ahead of us but have forgotten much more than they still know. Once upon a time, they knew how to tinker with genetic material to fix it but they have long since lost the ability to do so in any manner that has a real hope of fixing any problems.

What is true of their level of genetics is true of the other sciences and technology in general, although in some case to a lesser degree. They pray over their machines to get them to work. Maintenance is a religious mystery not a known process. Given this understanding of technelogy it is possible that a genius techmarine might come up with some limited modifications to standard equipment, however stating that they have cracked the secrets to constructing LRs and terminator armor is a bit much. Add in the improvement to plasma technology and it all wears a bit thin.

Now most of us have gone through this in our early days of chapter creation. I won't tell you how over the top my Sunhawks were in their earliest incarnation. The point is a chapter doesn't need to be the be-all, end-all, uber chapter better than everyone else; they just need to be interesting. You've got that in spades without the over-the-top tidbits. Tone it down in a couple of places and you've got a very nice background for your chapter.

Now that I've picked at you for a while, can you answer some questions?

Do you have any pics of your marines that indicate the actual scheme for this chapter? If not, do you have an image of their color scheme from GW's Interactive Marine Painter or some other tool?

What is their symbol?

What traits or codex do you use?
    Yes, there are female marines and my Sunhawks will let you know in a major way.

Not all the Emperors Children turned coat. We will redeem our name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

st.germaine, do you have a link to where i can see your sunhawks, or some of their fluff you can post?

I would like to see what you did with female marines.
    «Ares is the only way to be happy.»

Know Arise a Knight, and go forth and take your vengence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

Can we please let that be the last comment about female space marines? Any debate on the subject is one of few surefire ways of getting a fluff thread locked. The general forum consensus here is that they're a no.

For more information, please read:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...es-please.html (Ok, no more female space marines please)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ffy-fluff.html (ENOUGH of the Female Space Marines (and other unfluffy fluff)!)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...e-marines.html (Female Space Marines?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I gave the impression that the chapter has their own IG regiments my bad, that is not the case. I wrote that late at night and perhaps I could have worded it a bit more clearly.

The IG regiments are a seperate arm, as is the norm. There is a significant defense force force on Illiria and the system generates a fair number of regiments per year. It is simply due to the relatively prevasiveness of technology on Illiria that they are as well equipped as they are. So, when a threat gathers in the general vicinity Illiria tends to be the place to go in order to find a sustainable horde of troops to deal with it. And in general, a company or two of the Emerald Dragons tags along as well. Hence they tend to spearhead crusades.

Now I won't pretend that the Emerald Dragons, the IG regiments, and the rather significant system defense fleet don't co-operate very closely. But they do run a very prosperous homeworld and because of that have the ability to influence the whole system. And since they've been around few thousand years and have the interest in doing so, they have spent a phenominal amount of time working to ensure that the Chapter, the defense fleet and the local IG regiments function as three parts of one unit, not three totally different units.

Could this be construed as heresy or even rebellion? Perhaps, yet another reason the Inquisitor took them to task and the Inquisition continues to watch them. But they simply decided the best way to protect the Fringe was to be a bastion like Ultramar, just located farther along the Fringe.

As to why they would research xeno tech, you're right they hate xenos, Emerald Dragons are no exception. But if Tau and Eldar plasma weapons dont explode, but their's do, maybe there is something different about the weapons that can explain that. Tech-Marines may well be busy but if there are several of them with assistants to do the minor junk and you give them a few millenia I'm sure they'll find something.

As to building/repairing Land Raiders and Terminator suits. The thought process I had was, if they can repair the damage these things sustain in combat that means they have spare parts and some idea of how to assemble them. Make enough spare parts and attach them together and you wind up with a new suit, or Landraider. They may not completely understand *why* everything works the way it does, but they can certainly follow directions and get the general idea. And it's not like building Terminator suits is cheap, simple, and quick. There are no massive factories underneath the Lair, just a few forges and some reasonably intelligent tech-marines.

As for the gene-seed, does it push credibility? Yes. I understand that. But I also didn't make them perfect, that would stretch too far. Mostly I used it as a fluffy excuse for the traits I took. The chapter I play has:

No Remorse, No Respite - Furious Charge
    Take the Fight to the Enemy - Tac squads can choose Bolt Pistol + Close Combat Weapon
    Eye to Eye - Only one Landspeeder/Bike/Attack Bike squadron allowed

Basically I can go toe to toe with just about anyone and have at least a 50/50 chance of coming out alive. I just don't have quite so many options for Fast Attack.

The color scheme is: Most of the armor is Snot Green, right knee and Imperial Eagle/Skulls are Blood Red, shoulderpads are Ultramarine Blue with Blood Red trim. The chapter symbol is a three-headed dragon. I unfortuneately can't paint something that complex free handed, and I can't print out the symbol from Dawn of War and print it out on transfer paper.

You would not believe how many people at the store I play at ask if I'm playing Salamanders (hence the progenitor fluff). So, hopefully that explains some of the questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Escaflowne
    As to why they would research xeno tech, you're right they hate xenos, Emerald Dragons are no exception. But if Tau and Eldar plasma weapons dont explode, but their's do, maybe there is something different about the weapons that can explain that. Tech-Marines may well be busy but if there are several of them with assistants to do the minor junk and you give them a few millenia I'm sure they'll find something.

As to building/repairing Land Raiders and Terminator suits. The thought process I had was, if they can repair the damage these things sustain in combat that means they have spare parts and some idea of how to assemble them. Make enough spare parts and attach them together and you wind up with a new suit, or Landraider. They may not completely understand *why* everything works the way it does, but they can certainly follow directions and get the general idea. And it's not like building Terminator suits is cheap, simple, and quick. There are no massive factories underneath the Lair, just a few forges and some reasonably intelligent tech-marines.
    But the problem there is that technology has religious significance in 40K. It's not simply taking things apart and seeing how they work; these things need worship (maintenance), but taking them apart is severe blasphemy, as would be using xenotech ("Are you suggesting that the gods of the aliens are superior to those of the Imperium!?" kinda deal), so unless you're prepared to commit major technoheresy (kinda difficult seeing as all techmarines are schooled by the AdMech before they become techmarines) then it's plain not doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one way to think of it. Indeed that's more then likely the line of thinking that the Inquisitor in their past was working along. The line of thinking I have is similar but different.

The Chapter Master has lost far to many men dead or wounded to plasma weapons. Rather annoyed he goes to the Tech-Marines and orders them to find ways to cut down on the loss of men and equipment that he's being forced to suffer because of these tempermental weapons.

The tech-marine knows that the Tau and Eldar have plasma weapons that don't have this problem. So either their rituals of pacification are superior, the war spirits of their weapons aren't quite so eager to lash out at anything nearby, or the Machine God truly favors these aliens and their weapons more so then the Chapters. Quite the crisis of faith.

But the Tech-Marines have their orders and thus attempts to carry them out. They interrogate captured Eldar and Tau about their rituals of pacification, they examine captured equipment to see why their war spirits do not have a penchant for attacking their masters. They commune to the Machine God to answer their questions, for they are legion.

And after over a millenia of work the Tech-Marines have finally made the plasma designs more stable. They require a lot of painstakingly difficult and delicate re-working but they have finally found ways to make the smaller plasma pistol less likely to attack their owners instead of the enemy. The plasma cannon is slightly more difficult but they are confident that in time they will find a way to more effectively channel its war spirit towards the enemy rather then wherever it finds convienient.

The entire point for the 'advanced tech' thing is I tend to get master-crafted equipment alot, ESPECIALLY MC plasma-weapons. I never seem to make my save when they go decide to have a fit so the easiet thing to do is make them less likely to blow up in the first place.
    Last edited by Escaflowne; April 11th, 2006 at 21:50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast