My pirate renegade marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pirate renegade marines

The Soulless

Background

The pirate group known as "The soulless" are a group of Space Marines that turned renegade during the Horus Heresy. It was when the Marines were ordered to attack their own battle brothers that they started to question their leaders and lost their faith in the Imperium. First they were asked to guard the Imperium from threats and conquer planets in the name of the Emperor. Then they were asked to kill their brothers because they were traitors. That made them wonder if their brothers that swore all the same oaths to protect the imperium as they did really were traitors. After that came the question if all the people they had killed over their lives really were traitors or if they were just the Emperor´s or Horus´ pawns in an epic power struggle. (depending if they originally came from the traitor legions or the loyalists).

Instead of following their orders these Adeptus Astartes took their ships and steered them towards the eye of terror where they knew they would not be followed. When news of their break away from the imperium spred many more marines from various legions followed them into the eye wishing to side neither with the emperor nor the warmaster. They were led by a man known as Hykar, later known as Hykar the unseen by the loyalists for abandoning them. While this name was ment to belittle him his adversaries later spoke that name in fear since his tactics usually involved infiltration and surprise raids which have since then become the soulless´ trademark tactics.

They now follow their own misguided code and do not discriminate if they attack traitors or loyalists. They also do not care if they form alliances with good people or bad as they feel that everyone not a part of their brotherhood of pirates is not to be trusted.

Organization

The soulless are pirates that operate from the eye of terror. They employ many humans as well as marines and have little to no access to tanks and warmachines altough they have quite a few ships they have commandeered on raids.

The soulless are both mercenaries and pirates and care not who they work for or for what ends as long as they get paid, they also sometimes hire kroot mercenaries or dark eldars for added numbers. The soulless have a long standing relationship with a dark eldar kabal known as the kabal of stinging shadows. The dark eldar trade powerful items they might come across on their raids in exchange for slaves the soulless might capture as well as wraithbone which the soulless seem to have ample supplies of. The reason for this is that their base of operations is on one of the outer moons of a crone world orbited by twelve moons. The soulless discovered this crone world in the early days when they had just broken away from the imperium. Initially they believed the crone world might have some ancient eldar objects of great power but after some time of investigating the planet they discovered it had been plundered of any and all powerful arfifacts. Once in a blue moon the soulless find a random object that radiates of power ,they usually known nothing of it´s properties and trade it off to their dark eldar allies for more useful items.

The moons around the crones world make it an ideal place for the soulless´ secret base of operations. The moons provide cover for them and since the crone world has so many moons they are usually ignored seeing as how the crone world itself is much more interesting. Also the soulless have set up scouting posts on various locations on many of the moons which makes it quite easy for them to notice ships of eldar coming to the crone world to collect wraithbone as well as other ships long before they arrive near the crone world.

The marines

The marines that make up the pirate brotherhood never wanted to follow the chaos gods but accepted power from the chaos gods to be able to live in the eye of terror and to fight untill they died from wounds. Little did they know that this ment forfitting their souls to the gods. As a result they only show slight marks of mutations which come from living in the eye of terror for such a long time.

They are heavily adorned with plunder they have aquired over the millennia and there are few of them that have not found weapons more effective or at least more decorated than their standard ones they left with. As a result each of them has quite a few personalized items and their armor usually looks very diffirent from what it did during the Horus heresy.

They one thing they all share and marks them as members of the soulless is that each of them has their left shoulderpad colored red with black rims and bears their symbol which is white fangs from above and below (sort of like the old World eaters symbol without the planet in it).

Lieutenant Kurrgak, fiend of Yutl

Their second in command is known as Kurrgak, fiend of Yutl. He was a member of the Dark angels before he turned renegade. He got the title fiend of Yutl after a raid on the world Yutl. Him and his force completely rendered the people of the planet defenceless and then “sold” the planet to the kabal of stinging shadows where every single person on that planet was the tortued to death. The kabal didn´t have enough manpower to keep the entire population quelled so Kurrgak and his men had to be hired for a month to help keep the people in line while the kabal tortured them to death one by one. He wears an ancient jump pack he accuired in a raid many millenia ago. He is also equipped with a Kai gun the kabal of stinging shadows gave to the soulless as a token of good will and hopes of future business after they demonstrated the amount of wraithbone they could produce.

So guys what do you think? All comments and critisism welcome

Last edited by Lightningclaws; April 12th, 2006 at 09:37.
    What is better than winning the gold medal in the "Servitor olympics"?

not being a servitor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider
    Lightningclaws doesn't actually move as fast as lightning, he moves a little slower for health and safety reasons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I quite like it. Would be interested to know how they recruit new members and what their original chapter was but over all pretty good.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would a kabal deal with them instead of just TAKING it from them?

Sorry... it's the de pirate in me. Yar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berny: hey man thanks, well theyĀ“re from different chapters. Kurrgak for example was a dark angel. Hykar on the otherhand was an ultramarine (just to piss off those smurfs :ninja: ). They recruite from marines that turn renegade and leave the imperium as well as they recruite traitor marines that have left their chaos masters and wish to join the raiding instead of fighting to serve a god.

houdinimachine: A good and a valid question. They could attack the marines but they donĀ“t know where the marines get their wraithbone from. The marineĀ“s most guarded secret is the location of their base and the source of their wraithbone :shifty: and telling someone like the dark eldar would kinda like going camping with a rapist

keep em coming guys

not being a servitor

Lightningclaws doesn't actually move as fast as lightning, he moves a little slower for health and safety reasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Why would they deal with the Dark Eldar at all? They turned during the Heresy because they question their leaders' competence. That contains nothing to say why they turned from Imperial codes of practice, most of all for their treatment of imperials after their defection, which would imply that they still have certain standards. Why enslave humans or sell them off to xenos (which they have no reason to trust, and have an indoctrination that preaches hatred towards them) unless they have other reasons to do so?

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

After 10,000 years of a pirate existence I am guessing their values have eroded somewhat.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to rain on your parade here but Kykar couldnt have been an Ultramarine, because in the Heresy they never fought each other. I could see him rising to the Ranks after defeating their former master but he could not have been the leader to start. I really like the fluff though. Its good.

Erik Moraki's Great Company 16/4/7
    Borgut "SBD" GreatStrider's Ogres 6/1/2
    An'Gorath's World Eaters 3/0/2
    Sigurd GreatFang's Wulfen Host 7/4/3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by DerkaDerka
    Not to rain on your parade here but Kykar couldnt have been an Ultramarine, because in the Heresy they never fought each other.
    Nor did any other of the loyalist legions. He means that the force was made up of chapters from multiple legions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Not bad fluff, save for the fact that they basically sound exactly like Red Corsairs with a different name who date from the Horus Heresy instead of the Badab War. There are also a few unanswered questions.

1. Like some others, I don't get the dark eldar link. Dark eldar stay the hell away from the eye of terror, for obvious reasons, and they probably don't want much to do with anything or anyone who lives there. I'm not even sure they use wraithbone, due to the fact you have to be psychic to shape it, and dark eldar feed their psykers to Slannesh.

2. The idea of non chaos worshippers hiding in the eye of terror just doesn't work for me. Why would they be any more welcome there than the loyalists, who find the place impossible to navigate and very, very hostile to their presence.

3. Also, how do non chaos worshippers live for 10,000 years? You can say it's due to the eye, but that doesn't explain the Alpha legion. It seems to me it's the bargains the traitor legions made at the time they turned to chaos which keep them alive and kicking, not the temporal effects of the eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow lots of comments and critisism in a short time that´s good. This is still a first draft but with your guys´ help it´s gonna start taking a complete image. So on to the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes
    Why would they deal with the Dark Eldar at all? They turned during the Heresy because they question their leaders' competence. That contains nothing to say why they turned from Imperial codes of practice, most of all for their treatment of imperials after their defection, which would imply that they still have certain standards. Why enslave humans or sell them off to xenos (which they have no reason to trust, and have an indoctrination that preaches hatred towards them) unless they have other reasons to do so?
    Yes they turned during the HH after they started getting orders to fight their brothers. When I say "questioned their leaders´ competence" I might not fully have captured what I wanted to say. What I meant was that they had just lost their faith in the imperium as well.

When you´re taught something your entire life and live and die by it you sort of take a U-turn when you see it unfold as a lie in front of your eyes. First they were asked to guard the imperium from threats and conquer planets in the name of the emperor. Then they´re asked to kill their brothers because they are traitors. That made them wonder if their brothers that swore all the same oaths to protect the imperium as they did really were traitors.

After that came the question if all the people they had killed over their lives really were traitors or if they were just the emperor´s or Horus´ pawns in an epic power struggle. (depending if they originally came from the traitor legions or the loyalists). They now follow their own misguided code and do not discriminate if they attack traitors or loyalists. They also do not care if they form alliances with good people or bad as they feel that everyone not a part of their brotherhood of pirates is not to be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Berny Mac
    After 10,000 years of a pirate existence I am guessing their values have eroded somewhat.
    Very true, as well as their views being very misguided to begin with.

Xeres: thanks for answering that for me

DerkaDerka: thanks for the compliment

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    Not bad fluff, save for the fact that they basically sound exactly like Red Corsairs with a different name who date from the Horus Heresy instead of the Badab War. There are also a few unanswered questions.

1. Like some others, I don't get the dark eldar link. Dark eldar stay the hell away from the eye of terror, for obvious reasons, and they probably don't want much to do with anything or anyone who lives there. I'm not even sure they use wraithbone, due to the fact you have to be psychic to shape it, and dark eldar feed their psykers to Slannesh.

2. The idea of non chaos worshippers hiding in the eye of terror just doesn't work for me. Why would they be any more welcome there than the loyalists, who find the place impossible to navigate and very, very hostile to their presence.

3. Also, how do non chaos worshippers live for 10,000 years? You can say it's due to the eye, but that doesn't explain the Alpha legion. It seems to me it's the bargains the traitor legions made at the time they turned to chaos which keep them alive and kicking, not the temporal effects of the eye.
    You got me there man. I was going to do a Red corsairs army but they dated from the M38 and I wanted to do more ancient looking marines and pre-heresy conversions :ninja: I have been found out.

1. Come to think of it I´m pretty sure the DE don´t use wraithbone as the eldar use it to keep their souls from going into the warp after they die while the DE feed the souls of captives to it thus saving their´s. Am I right on that? I´ll ask around and try to look it up. If they do use it though it would be easier for the DE to trade for it instead of going into the eye of terror themselves. Also the soulless´ main base is located in the eye of terror so any and all dealings with the dark eldar would be done away from their base and the eye. The soulless usually go around raiding and pillaging so they do not spend to much time in the eye of terror itself.

2. You´re probably right. They should follow the ruinous powers.

3. You´re right again. That would be another one of their misguided attempts of following neither the traitors or the imperials. Accepting power from the chaos gods to make them strong enough to help themeselves... the perfect road to damnation

A lot of you have been asking about their affiliation with the dark eldar so I will explain that a little bit. The dark eldar are a race of pirates and mercenaries. As the soulless sometimes need more numbers for their raids or for jobs they have been hired for they often employ human pirates, kroots and dark eldar. In the dark eldar they see a reflection of themselves. To them the dark eldar are a break away faction from their race that did what they had to survive. They chose to escape their doom by sacrificing slaves to Slaanesh. Seeing as they are both pirates and have lots of plunder that is useless to themselves but might be bargained with for more useful items to the other party they have established regular trade.

Alright thanks everybody for your comments and crtitisism. With your help I can smooth the fluff out and pretty soon I´ll be able to post the revised fluff for the Soulless.

BTW that name is still just the working title, suggestion for a new one welcome.

EDIT: Turns out dark eldar use wraithbone after all. YATTA!
    Last edited by Lightningclaws; April 12th, 2006 at 09:52.

not being a servitor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast