Adamantium Souls Chapter (Modeling/Fluff help~) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adamantium Souls Chapter (Modeling/Fluff help~)

"Let your soul lie behind the Adamantium, and be driven by the Machine! It is the pure gift in which the Machine God has provided onto his followers. Worship him. Worship the Emperor! Bring vengeance onto those who try to stop you!"
    -Iron Father Prathios of the Adamantium Souls
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATED: 4-12-06

I am using Chaos Space Marine Rules set. Black Legion rules, but my army will be built on Space Marine Models dominately, and it will be a Space Marine chapter, physically, and fluffwise. My goal is to create a VERY THEMED, and FLUFFY ARMY yet still have EXCELLENT playing.

Now I am trying to build fluff more specifically on the army composition and models, and how it should fit into all of this. Fluff about the chapter will come later once i get this figured out. So I'll be needing suggestions if my stuff sounds right, as I am going to REASON with the 40k system a lot.

Color Scheme :
    So far my Basic idea for this chapter will be:
    Black Bolters, Black chainsword
    Gold Body and legs.
    White or Silver Eagle?
    Shoulder Pads, Red or black on the bottom trim, and Gold On the top padded part.

::Armoury::
    D. Mutations - Servo Arms - Providing the extra attack
    D. Str. - Bionical Arm or something to show more str.
    D. Flight - Jetpacks
    D. Resilience - Heavy Armor
    D. Talons - Admantium claws
    D. Speed - Bionic Legs/Tread Legs

::HQ::
    Chaos lord = Iron Lord (Chapter Master) -

*Now I was about to field the Iron Lord as a MK4 Dreadnought with dual lightning claw arms. But have him be played as a Chaos Lord, meaning he would have wounds on Armor value. Though I've heard some fluff discussion stating that it is totally WRONG to have a Dreadnought lead an army, fluffwise. Is this correct? In sense the Iron lord would not really be dead, he would just be manning a dreadnought-like suit.

:lites::
    Obliterators = 'Juggernought' Terminators =

The Admantium Souls have developed a 'new' design on the Tactical Dreadnought Terminator Armor, an extremely heavy variant of the Terminator which can output a wide variety of weaponry to match any situation given in the battlefield, not to also mention the new use of Admantium to improve the toughness of the armour. But the price of tougher army comes with a cubbersome weight, which the techmarines are still trying to adjust. These 'Juggernought' variant Terminators have been unleashed in the battlefield for occasional testing, as they are still under the early ages of developement, there hasn't been high production of these specialized suits which makes them very rarely used in the Adamantium Souls force organization.

Idea modeling is going to be like this:
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...W/DSCF0010.jpg
    Repleace the head, and put a Dreadnought Sarchophogus in its place, and greenstuff all around. They are going to look like Mini Dreadnoughts, then plasticard/greenstuff it up to buff up the armor. But I also have the idea these might look really weird. Its a start..

Possessed = Bionically-Enhanced Marines =

*No Fluff yet*

::Troops::
    Nurgle Marines = Adamantium Marines = These are the standard marines of the chapter. they are heavily armed with special MK armour, a more armoured version of the standard power armour.

*Fluff has not been written on this yet*

And so toughness 5 is represent the resilience they pack.

Chaos Space Marine Backpacks, just something to make the squad stick out even more, or not?
    Heads= Open-face heads w/ respirators? Or something else?
    Shoulder Pads:

Front Armor:

( I choose nurgle, but 1k Sons, having 2 wounds does sound like a variant) I might create two different designs to differentiate the variant MKs. )

Nurglings = Servo-Skulls =
    Though the servo-skull is often known for serving the Ordo Inquisitors, the Adamantium Souls have adopted these mechanisms and used them for their own. They are the most 'common' constructs seen amongst the assembly line. Being very cheap, easy and simple, these constructs are mass-produced on forgeworlds and given anti-grav motorization to move about. Modified and equipped for war, these servo skulls contain tiny lethal injection needles, laser cutters, and other tandems to engage those who stand in the way. Being driven by a specialized Machine Spirit, the servo skulls are able to function and react on their own, but occassionally has some technical breakdowns.

Each 40mm base will contain a group of servo skulls

Daemon packs = =

beautiful idea! I love it! hmm, may i suggest using some form of shambled machinery for the demonettes? If you wnat to go witht he whole summonin thing, have it liek a bumch of deactivated junk that throught he power of the machine god sprang to life! for example, heavily modified necrons with chainswords and lots of tubey things.... just a suggestion...

::Heavy Support::

Defilers ='__no name__' Class Dreadnought =
    Another 'test' Design variant sent in by the Adeptus Mechanicus. It was originally suppose to be given onto the Mentors chapter for weaponry testing but the Admantium Souls have taken the testing privledges onto their own selves. This new design, adapts the build of the current Dreadnought Chassis, and creating a Heavier class than its predecessor. By equipping it with a wider and stronger arsenal, the '____' Class Dreadnought only be closely matched by its cousins, the 'Juggernaught' Terminators. To balance between heavy equipment and speed, more legs were given, and including an upgraded hull and driven by the Machine Spirit which protects and aids the 'Ancient' driver to prevent it from being disrupted, stunned, or disabled. All contributions essentially creating the Dreadnought into a Pseudo-Walker-Warmachine.

Need a name~ And I'll model this something like..

I was wondering of partly copying the design of that, except not putting anything Chaos Like onto it. Then added a battlecannon, and a few guns to it.

Any other vehicles will be fitted with 'Extra armour' to represent even stronger vehicular wargear, and to help if mutated hull was to ever be used.

This is my idea on a simple stretch... any comments or suggestions? Or think I'm crazy?

Last edited by LordofWH40k; April 14th, 2006 at 00:22.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

That sounds awesome, only downside I can see is obtaining the mk 8 front armour and the shoulderpads. Since the armour is one per tac-squad and the shoulder-pads are one pair per command squad.

Just one question though, your commander will always be in termie armour right? I knwo the difference between dreadnoughts and dreadnought tactical armour but you describe your commander as both.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty well thought out idea. I especially like the Servo Skull bases idea.
    As for your Lord (Dreadnought), you'd be better off classing it as Terminator Armour.
    Easier to explain than Daemon Armour.

Good luck with it.

evilive138
    Five rings through her flesh...each a point of lust...she see's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever
    That sounds awesome, only downside I can see is obtaining the mk 8 front armour and the shoulderpads. Since the armour is one per tac-squad and the shoulder-pads are one pair per command squad.

Just one question though, your commander will always be in termie armour right? I knwo the difference between dreadnoughts and dreadnought tactical armour but you describe your commander as both.
    I know a source which could give me... 4$ per pair of Shoulder pads =/ and 4$ per pair of Mk 8 armor.

I know this army will be extremely exspensive hah.

But yes terminator armor would be right, i'm wrong for d. armor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Well, I've seen "counts-as" list before, and as they go this is pretty radical. As long as everything uses statistics and points values from the Chaos codex only, and as long as you play them as Chaos Marines in tournaments and such - and tell people that they're playing Chaos Marines - there is no debate in terms of rules.

Fluff-wise, there are a couple of points;

1. The only Dreadnought that has been recorded as leading a Chapter in combat was Bjorn, and that was only temporarily. Dreadnoughts tend to lose their memories and go somewhat senile as the centuries pack on. So, there'd be a bit of jiggling to reason with your Chapter Master being incarcerated inside a giant machine. A lot of people would see it as tactically unviable, even with the Dreadnought's unparalled combat experience.
    2. Arco-flagellants: remove them. Space Marines don't use arco-flagellants. They're constructed from the bodies of prisoners on death row (Where would they get prisoners?) lobotomised and put through rigorous behavioural training to make them vicious upon command (Where would they have learnt this?) they are Inquisition-issue in general and Witch Hunter-issue in specific (Would the Inquisition be alright with this?) they deviate wildly from the Codex Astartes (That makes the Chapter radical already) and they are also nasty pieces of work, and dirty, dishonourable fighters that frequently kill civilians (Would the Space Marines tolerate this?)
    3. The Defiler: Perhaps explain it, rather than as an AI-controlled vehicle, as a Dreadnought variant with such protection that the single crewmember cannot be stunned. That could lead to interesting modelling - mix parts from a Defiler and a Dreadnought.
    4. Obliterators: rather than say they've been "fused" with their armour - since this happened to the Obliterators due to and only because of their constant and detrimental contact with the Warp - say they invented an extremely powerful Terminator Armour variant with an wildly advanced combi-weapon, at the disadvantage that the extra equipment and ammunition limits movement to a crawl.

I'd say remove the Flagellants entirely, or come up with a better explanation. They're the most obviously tricky parts of the fluff. Space Marines aren't into the wild, uncontrollable psycho-killer style - they're all calm, composed psycho-killers. It'd also be hard explaining the various daemonic abilities, and since arco-flagellants already have their own stats, players will ask why you aren't using them instead or why your arco-flagellants are better than the Inquisition's arco-flagellants.

It's a good idea, still.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The only problem I can see for you, and this is purely game-terms, is this:

Nurgle Marines = Marines = These are the standard marines of the chapter. they are heavily armed with special MK armour, a more armoured version of the standard power armour. And so toughness 5 is represent the resilience they pack.
    I would have a serious issue playing against opponents whose regular rank-and-file troops are Space Marines with T5. Tinkering with stats is usually not a good idea, because everything in the game has a certain balance and adding or subracting a point here or there can seriously affect the balance of your list since everything has to be compensated for. The only way to compensate for T5 with a 3+ save is to have WS3 BS3, so that your units won't take much damage but don't inflict inordinate amounts back. This, fluff-wise, is not a good thing since all Smurfs are meant to be out of the ordinary when it comes to shooting and fighting, and having 3s on a statline is Guardsman (i.e regular human) territory. You could also reduce their Save, however again that's going to conflict with the fluff; why would their save be worse than a regular Smurf if they're supposed to be in souped-up power armour?

The best thing to do is leave their Toughness alone. If you want them to be super-resilient, allow them to ignore the first "wounds on 1" thing that occurs each turn, such as dangerous terrain tests or plasma weapon overheats. That shows they're super-tough without actually mucking up the game mechanics in any serious way (I'd be less inclinced to argue with someone ignoring a Dangerous Terrain wound than I would be if someone's army were shrugging off shots and stabs like they were all HQ units).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen
    Tinkering with stats is usually not a good idea
    But he's not. He's using plague marine rules (who have T5, or to be more accurate 4(5)), which are entirely legal.

It's a nice idea, the only flaws I can see in it are the already-mentioned dreadnought and obliterator issues.

And the arco-flagellants are the Ministorum's responsibility rather than that of the Priesthood of Mars. Perhaps have them as combat servitors? Although neither explains the summoning mechanic at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still making more fluff on stuff, but how does this sound.

Nurglings = Servo-Skulls =

Though the servo-skull is often known for serving the Ordo Inquisitors, the Adamantium Souls have adopted these mechanisms and used them for their own. They are the most 'common' constructs seen amongst the assembly line. Being very cheap, easy and simple, these constructs are mass-produced on forgeworlds and given anti-grav motorization to move about. Modified and equipped for war, these servo skulls contain tiny lethal injection needles, laser cutters, and other tandems to engage those who stand in the way. Being driven by a specialized Machine Spirit, the servo skulls are able to function and react on their own, but occassionally has some technical breakdowns.

Each 40mm base will contain a group of servo skulls

Obliterators = Juggernought Terminators =

The Admantium Souls Techmarines have developed a 'new' design on the Tactical Dreadnought Terminator Armor, an extremely heavy variant of the Terminator which can output a wide variety of weaponry to match any situation given in the battlefield, not to also mention the new use of Admantium to improve the toughness of the armour. But the price of tougher army comes with a cubbersome weight, which the techmarines are still trying to adjust. These 'Juggernought' variant Terminators have been unleashed in the battlefield for occasional testing, as they are still under the early ages of developement, there hasn't been high production of these specialized suits which makes them very rarely used in the Adamantium Souls force organization.

Defilers ='__no name__' Class Dreadnought =

Another 'test' Design variant sent in by the Adeptus Mechanicus. It was originally suppose to be given onto the Mentors chapter for weaponry testing but the Admantium Souls have taken the testing privledges onto their own selves. This new design, adapts the build of the current Dreadnought Chassis, and creating a Heavier class than its predecessor. By equipping it with a wider and stronger arsenal, the '____' Class Dreadnought only be closely matched by its cousins, the 'Juggernaught' Terminators. To balance between heavy equipment and speed, more legs were given, and including an upgraded hull and driven by the Machine Spirit which protects and aids the 'Ancient' driver to prevent it from being disrupted, stunned, or disabled. All contributions essentially creating the Dreadnought into a Pseudo-Walker-Warmachine.
    Last edited by LordofWH40k; April 12th, 2006 at 23:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

It's a nice idea, but the obliterators and T5 basic marines are seriously pushing it if you ask me. As a chaos player, I have to admit I'm having trouble understanding why you don't just use chaos models with a chaos list.. it's much more believable, and avoids the half hour of explanation which will inevitably occur before every single game if you go with this idea.

Also, space marines aren't very inventive. Techmarines aren't scientists, they're priests whose religious rituals merely happen to coincide with the role of an engineer. I think you're very much overplaying the degree of 'progress' which is possible in the scientifically stagnant Imperium. An STC is like a holy Text.. Adding your own interpretation is good, altering it significantly or creating a new one is heresy.

Seriously, you don't need to go chaos to get a list which plays well anyway.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; April 12th, 2006 at 23:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

The fluff is so far mostly acceptable, he isn't changing any rules and isn't making and large infringements on the standards. As far as I can see, there's nothing glaringly wrong with it, as long as he makes sure he informs everyone that he is effectively playing a Chaos list.

As for what Mantis said about Marines not being scientists, that's true - they aren't. But there's always an exception. They aren't creating anything new, really, merely placing custom upgrades on an existing design. You don't have to be a scientist to put a different gun and more legs on a Dreadnought, for example. You just have to be a very good mechanic.

A Techmarine is less of a priest than a technophile. He reveres technology, as all Mechanicus-educated Magos do, and he worships and respects its wonders, but he still possesses a scientific mind. He knows that a spark plug starts an engine. He has different words to describe it, but it's still a spark lighting fuel reserves.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast