Seedless Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Seedless Marines

Once upon a time, there was fluff about the first founding and Geneseedless Marines. Specifically, it mentioned that the older warriors in the original legions were modified so they could fight alongside of the younger warriors who were the first to carry geneseed.

I found a Wiki with some details, but I seem to remember there being more to it...

Anyone remember what Codex/White Dwarf that was in and do they have it still? A flood in my basement ruined a lot of my archive...

RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Geneseed-less Marines? That's impossible. The chapter would die out if they didn't have geneseed.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

Not necessarily, but on the otherhand you are completely correct.
    There is a 40K short story where there is a "marine" who went through all the training and all the modifications, except his body rejected the geneseed. He remained one of the Chapter's acolytes or something, but was not an official Marine purely because he did not have the Geneseed. Apart from that one small thing, he would have been classifiable as a Marine, but hey, if a chapter wanted to build itself up bigger than 1000 marines, there's no reason they couldn't "build" themselves Marines in everything but Geneseed, and have them fight alongside them
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

There is also mentin that in the old days Earth armies were made up of genetically modified warriors, before the Primarchs or the Emperor.. though not true space marines it shows technology not involving geneseeds is available (or at least once was) to make super soldiers.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What RecklessFable is talking about is the story with the Lion and Luthor. The lion wanted Luthor to fight with him but since he was to old to recieve the geeneseed he modifyed Luthor and the other knights of The Order that were to old to recieve the operations needed to become a marine.

Erik Moraki's Great Company 16/4/7
    Borgut "SBD" GreatStrider's Ogres 6/1/2
    An'Gorath's World Eaters 3/0/2
    Sigurd GreatFang's Wulfen Host 7/4/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agre With Derka, also there was a part in Iron Hands where Gdolkin sees a chapter thrall who was turned into servitor when he was too weak to beomce a marine. Not exactly the same thing, but somewhat similar.
    Pain is life, while I feel pain I still live, and while I still live I will seek vengance.
    We are few but strong in will
    The last with pagan blood
    We fought the world with burning steel
    Now we sit in Hall of Gods

is Alpharius FabricatorGeneralMike's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sonofslaanesh
    I agre With Derka, also there was a part in Iron Hands where Gdolkin sees a chapter thrall who was turned into servitor when he was too weak to beomce a marine. Not exactly the same thing, but somewhat similar.

Theres also a story in, 'Into the Malestorm' along the same lines, a marine whos body rejects the implants and he becomes a technition of some battlesimulation machene.
    Last edited by FabricatorGeneralMike; May 6th, 2006 at 21:09.
    FluffMaster on a mission to turn people to the Sisters of battle, yes folks it's all about SoB squads in Repressors with lots of flamer templates for the win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

I personally have a strong dislike for the concept of Marines with no Geneseed in the current 40k timeline. It seems so fundamentally wrong (as surely we would have Inquisitors undergoing such a process often).

Considering Space Marine organisation was fundamentally changed after the Horus Heresy it would not be unreasonable to presume that some of their enhancements were abandoned and replaced.

Its not an entirely unreasonable conclusion, considering that the Index Astates book depicts that one of the processes World Eater recruits underwent is probably the reason for them turning to Khorne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

The cursed founding also succeeded in producing soldiers of equivallent combat performance to a marine without any geneseed. There's an index astrates article which talks about it (before Fabius Bile walks in, violates everyone to death and steals the tech.)

However, when you read through the autopsy it makes it very clear that what they were doing involved some pretty heavy duty genetic tampering. The result can hardly be said to have been the same thing as a space marine.

Still, it probably explains where Fabius Bile's chemically enhanced 'New Men' come from.

As for the old fluff about geneseedless marines before the heresy.. Well, it's a bit strange, but okay I guess, and it does explain a lot of things about how they were able to recruit past implantation age. I'd imagine the technology has been well and truly lost though otherwise, as Nightshade said, surely every inquisitor, his mother and his dog will have had the treatment.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; May 7th, 2006 at 02:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

I always thought they just used to be able to implant the geneseed when the supplicants were older, and that the knowledge was lost over ten thousand years. Luthor was a full Marine; he had to have been, since he was second-in-command of the Legion. And if he wasn't, he wouldn't stand half a chance against El'Jonson, Chaos gifts or no.

The whole Marines-have-to-be-thirteen-for-the-geneseed-to-work thing is a massive plot hole. It really doesn't work. But, essentially, if you're enhanced but don't have the geneseed you aren't a Marine. You're just an enhanced human.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast