The Hive Mind - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hive Mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hive Mind

I no that the hive mind have a massive warp presence, but has it spawned into a god like being like slaneesh or the other chaos gods?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

Not exactly. The Hive Mind is't a "god" like the Chaos bunch or the C'Tan. Think of the Tyranid race as a single animal. The Hive Mind would be the consiousness or soul, and the tyranid organisms themselves (y'know the fexes and gaunts and stuff) are it's body. The tyranids are not individuals with thier own conciosuness, they're just cells in an unimaginably massive body. I doubt the Tyranid superorganism even has a concept of gods or warp presences, it's just motivated by it's basic instincts; consume and grow.I imagine that the Hive Mind was born from the first little gribbly Tyranid that crawled out of whatever gene pool it originates from and simply grew as that single originating organism grew and grew into the Tyranid mass that's now chewing it's way through the Imperium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Edicius got it exactly right. The Hive Mind is basically the warp presence of the entire Tyranid race grouped together into a single group consciousness. On one hand it is the mind of every Tyranid in existence but on the other hand it is an entirely separate being that controls them all like the brain controls parts of a body. However, the Hive Mind has something in common with the Chaos Gods in that it has become strong enough to have its own identity within the Warp due to the hunger of the Tyranid race, so it can't really be destroyed now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Everyone else pretty much has it.. The hive mind is enormous, but it is not a being on the level of the chaos gods, because it's completely impersonal. It's more like the psychic feedback of billions of organisms exchanging information instantaniously through the warp than an actual mind. It's like a body using the warp as its nervous system.

Who knows, though, maybe in the future as the Tyranid race evolves the Hive mind will too. After all, genestealers have large, developed brains caused by the absorbtion of human DNA, eventually, it seems possible that the tyranids could start to develop thoughts, if not emotions, and then the hive mind could become more like a chaos god.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, for one...disagree! IMHO the hive mind is really the Devourer...the forth of the surviving
    C'tan. Each C'tan chose a different race to be their harbingers...the Nightbringer and deciever chose the necrons. The Devourer chose (made) the Tyranids. And the Void-Dragon is asleep on Mars and has chosen Humanity as it's own. The only people not controlled (at least partialy) by a C'tan, is the Tau, Chaos, Orks, and Eldar (ALL of 'em, DE included).

Just My informed opinion...

Don't hurt me!

Cheers.
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Omnissiah
    Each C'tan chose a different race to be their harbingers...the Nightbringer and deciever chose the necrons. The Devourer chose (made) the Tyranids. And the Void-Dragon is asleep on Mars and has chosen Humanity as it's own.
    Aside from the fact that you said that each C'Tan chose a different race and than said the Nightbringer and the Deciever chose the same one, I like the concept. I really do. It could totally work. On that note, however, I feel the Necron are more of a general purpse race and the Nightbringer and Deciever, as the most active C'Tan, could easily have no avatar race or some of the other races are in fact their avatar races.

Anyway...

I've always viewed the 'Nids as mere cells in a larger organism. If you really think about it, space is relative to your own size. To a single human cell, the body is a universe much like the universe is to us. To a Tyranid hive mind, the universe is merely a battleground. That battleground could even be a mere section of a larger celestial body, the Nid's acting as white blood cells in the greater system.

So yeah, I view the Hivemind as the central consciousness of a larger superorganism with the actual nid's on the tabletop as mere cells of the beast.

The universe is alive and we are a poison.
    God. Is. Pissed.

lol
    Last edited by Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon; May 13th, 2006 at 10:07.
    Sig by:Knape, The Celestial, and Marlinspike, thanks guys!

The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon
    Aside from the fact that you said that each C'Tan chose a different race and than said the Nightbringer and the Deciever chose the same one, I like the concept. I really do. It could totally work. On that note, however, I feel the Necron are more of a general purpse race and the Nightbringer and Deciever, as the most active C'Tan, could easily have no avatar race or some of the other races are in fact their avatar races.

Anyway...

I've always viewed the 'Nids as mere cells in a larger organism. If you really think about it, space is relative to your own size. To a single human cell, the body is a universe much like the universe is to us. To a Tyranid hive mind, the universe is merely a battleground. That battleground could even be a mere section of a larger celestial body, the Nid's acting as white blood cells in the greater system.

So yeah, I view the Hivemind as the central consciousness of a larger superorganism with the actual nid's on the tabletop as mere cells of the beast.

The universe is alive and we are a poison.
    God. Is. Pissed.

lol

Wow. I agreed with everyone else, but I really like the way you put it. Before now I had just thought as the 'Nids as 'drones' being controlled by the hive mind, like tools. But the way oyu put it makes it seem way cooler. Rep'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

@The_Omnissiah: Your opinion is not completly accurate (but it's still you opinion which you are entitled to). If the C'tan controlles the 'Nids, how come they have psykers and a massive warp pressence? Remember that the C'tan hate the warp enormusly and they can't interact with it in any way.
    The same applies why they would have chosen the Humans as they also have a quite large warp pressence (the Astonomican for example) and then I'm not even mentioning their ruler, one of the greatest psykers in history, the Emperor of Man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Oh dark gods, another C’Tan conspiracy. *Headdesk.* You just had to bring up my pet peeve, didn’t you? Why oh why do people keep insisting on bringing up these annoying “theories? when everything in the fluff clearly indicates that the C’Tan and Tyranids are not linked in any way?

First of all, the fourth C’Tan is called the Outsider, not the Devourer; the Devourer is just another name for the Tyranid race. There is nothing about the Outsider indicating that it is in any way linked to the Tyranids.

Secondly, as has already been said by The Mighty Camel, the Hive Mind is a gigantic psychic entity, and the C’Tan are effectively allergic to psykers. That’s why they build anti-psyker Pylons and create anti-psyker Pariahs to protect themselves.

Thirdly, the Tyranids avoid the Necrons when at all possible, even diverting whole Hive Fleets to navigate around Necron-controlled planets. If this was only because of the lack of food on Tomb Worlds, then why divert the Fleet rather than just flying on past the planet? Probably because the Necron anti-psychic technologies makes it impossible for the Hive Mind to control the Tyranids under its command.

Fourthly, the C’Tan would never create a new psychic race, since psychic races are lethal to them. They introduced the pariah gene to the human gene pool to prevent humanity from becoming psykers. Why then would the Outsider create the single most powerful psychic entity known in the galaxy, so powerful it even blocks out the Emperor’s Astronomicon?

Fifthly, your theory of C’Tan choosing other races to serve them makes no sense. The C’Tan have the Necrons, and that’s all they need. The Dragon chose to sleep on Mars millions of years before humanity ever evolved beyond our most primitive four-legged ancestors, and have had no contact with humanity whatsoever (although abandoned Necron ruins might have provided inspiration for the Machine Cult). The Outsider was imprisoned at the time of the War in Heaven and remains imprisoned, and so cannot have had any contact with the Tyranid race, which has just recently arrived in our galaxy. Furthermore, Hive Fleet Leviathan appears to be intentionally avoiding the Outsider’s prison; would it do that if the Hive Mind was serving to the Outsider?

So the fluff clearly states that the C’Tan can’t stand being around the Tyranids, and the Tyranids can’t stand being around the C’Tan, and yet you would have them allied?

For an informed opinion, that’s terribly uninformed. :rolleyes:

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Grephaun lays on the smackdown. The Outsider/Tyranid relationship is cool at first glance, but when you see it methodically taken down, you realize it just doesn't work.

Although it is not really on this subject, for the next Necron Codex, I would like to see them give the Deciever and Nightbringer different army lists. I think this because:

The Nightbringer wants only to destroy and consume, and doesn't really seem to care about enslaving, so he should have lots of units with the Necron ability, not just "necrons".
    The Deciever should have sole access to Pariahs, since it is the main force of Necron influence on humanity, and Pariahs are, I think, the Deciever's creations.
    Lord Baal of the Ordo Sanguinius Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast