Related to Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Related to Tyranids

I was wondering about a couple of questions that popped into my head while reading other fluff and browsing the Tau Codex:
    • It's fairly inevitable that the Kroot will come into contact with the Tyranids in a successful engagement, and as a result, ingest them for their genetic markers. (There's a real turn around for you.) What do you think would be some of the possible results of this? Would they be warped into service of the Tyranids?
    • The Tyranids seem to operated by use of a single hive mind (although the fleets may have independent minds for all I know) that are powered psychically. Since the forces of Chaos tend to infiltrate through psychic mediums, are their corrupted Tyranids? If they were corrupted, could anyone tell the difference? They are basically nightmares to start with.
    I apologize if these have already been answered, but the topics seemed rather generic to be effectively searched.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as the first one goes, the Kroot are loath to consume any species that will ultimatly weaken them in some way. In the Tau codex, there's a passage about the potential consequences of such a union. The Kroot feel an insessant hunger, a desire to improve their speices. Consumer the Tyranids, and taking some of the hunger that defines the Tyranid race would push the species over the edge, into feral animalism. Having said that, it's probably been done, and I've seen quite a few GW created kroot/nid conversions. Mostly Kroot with gribbly bits, feeder tendrils, carapace, etc.

As far as Chaos/nids, I belive that the hive mind would easily be able to sheild their race from such effects. You have to remember that Chaos corrupts the individual's soul. The weaker the individual, the easier it is. Tyranids are not individuals. When Cheif Librarian Tigerus psychically communed with a Tyranid, he saw beyond the eye's of the gaunt to see the mind of the synapse creature controlling it, then to the hive tyrand behind; beyond that, it's progentior. Beyond that, there was nothing but a primal hunger. The very essence of the Tyranid race. What we call, the Hive Mind. To corrupt a single tyranid would require the hive mind to be breached. Little more needs to be said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Does not sound good. I will make it the goal of my life to create such a beast.

2. The Hive Mind is often referred to as the Shadow in the Warp. Chaos Daemons attacking it would be like rabbits charging a brick wall.
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zenarion
    2. The Hive Mind is often referred to as the Shadow in the Warp. Chaos Daemons attacking it would be like rabbits charging a brick wall.

Just had a vision of it...LOL its funny i love that thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

1. Kroot have a lot of wierd abilities, among them is a kind of hyper-intuition. Shapers generally know what's good for them and what isn't. There's one piece of kroot fluff where a shaper and his squad ambush a gaunt and, while initially the shaper wants to absorb its power by consuming it, he gets a 'bad feeling' telling him he shouldn't.

Kroot can make screw ups though. There's another piece of fluff where kroot eat slannesh mutants, with very bad consequences for them.

I'd imagine kroot who routinely ate tyranids would start to become increasingly bug like.. I doubt eating a tyranid would immediately bring them under the control of the hive mind, but slowly but surely, as they consumed more tyranid DNA, they might start to feel the call of the brood, perhaps in the same way that Genestealer brood brothers can feel the vaguest hint of the hive mind (even though they're non psychic humans.)

2. I think Tyranids can be corrupted by chaos, just not in the warp. They aren't going to suddenly become possessed and start spitting fireballs.

But that's not the only way to get possessed. Tyranid DNA is highly resistant to external tampering, but if they went into a truly 'chaotic' environment like the eye of terror or a major warp storm, they might start to mutate, and their connection to the hive mind might be twisted. This is never actually confirmed, but we know Tyranids subconsciously avoid disturbances like warp storms, perhaps its for this reason.

Also, there are things like the obliterator virus and the zombie plague, both of which can be transferred through psychic or physical means. It's possible tyranids are vulnerable to one or both of these viruses (I think the obliterator virus is more likely, though it's much rarer than the zombie plague.)

EDIT: I don't know why I never noticed this before, but the fluff about the obliterator virus bears a resemblance to the disturbing Japanese film Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Hopefully without the.. erhmm.. power drill.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; May 28th, 2006 at 08:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    Also, there are things like the obliterator virus and the zombie plague, both of which can be transferred through psychic or physical means. It's possible tyranids are vulnerable to one or both of these viruses (I think the obliterator virus is more likely, though it's much rarer than the zombie plague.)
    But thats only cause the Iron Warrior dont share the virus and still think their better than every alien race out there...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Well, I think I've seen some fluff about that talks about broods seperated from the hive mind... maybe the lost fleets or just remnants. If they didn't just die, perhaps their vulnerability to such things would increase as their link to the Hive Mind decreased.

As for 1, I've seen a couple conversions, and think if a Shaper thought a little bug might be good, he'd do it- not enough to enslave them to the Hive Mind, but enough to give them sharp claws or venom spit.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

1. Kroot refuse to eat Tyranid meat. It is mentioned in, for example, the Ciaphas Cain book For the Emperor by Sandy Mitchell.

2. The Hive Mind is the psychic equivalent of a Chaos God. It can black out access to the Warp for parsecs! Therefore, I do not think it possible for Synapse creatures to be psychically corrupted. If Nurgle used a physical disease then he might pull it off, if the Hive Mind didn't wish the affected critter dead before it lost control.

As for gaunts, they are little more than big roaches. Corrupt all you want, they'll make more.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I remember reading a short passage somewhere about a Kroot shaper about to ambush some Hormagaunts and his thoughts were described as needing to control his comrades desire to feed because of something unnatural in the Tyranids.
    My impression was that a Kroot-Tyranid hybrid would be to dangerous and it's hunger would drive it to be a monster.

As far a Chaos is concerned the Chaos gods have no power themselves to just simply select a Tyranid or anything for that matter and warp it. A single gaunt is no more vunerable than an entire Hive fleet gods need willing worshipers. Gods are only ever as powerful as thier worshipers and the ideals they represent. They can attack unprotected psykers but that is because the gods themselves are formed of the emotions of humans, the vunerable psyker and the Chaos god are in a way a part of each other.

The Chaos powers need willing subjects to directly carry out thier plans these individuals can certainly affect Tyranids. A Chaos sorceror can turn a Hive tyrant into a spawn, and a pretty nasty spawn at that. It also refers to this somewhat in codex Tyranids describing that such a massive concentration of psykers not drawing in swarms of demons must be due to the Tyranids immense psychic strength or thier empty souls.

The Tyranids have no more idea of war, pleasure, lying or suffering than a spider probably less actually. With no way in, psychic feeling in common with a given power, chaos has no power without it's worshipers.
    That means the concepts which give chaos it's power do not exist in the Tyranids minds, they are that alien.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

You have to consider that tyranids pool their conscienceness(s) together. In doing so they make a larger stronger conscienceness that would obviously be more and more resilient to possesion as the number of tyranids feeding it grew. The tyranids individually are empty, they don't have any mind to possess, so individually they are almost impossible to possess, if they could be at all. The tyranid group conscience could be I suppose, but it would take a powerful daemon to do so and I'd imagine its impossible to possess the conscience of something so large as a hive fleet. In this way the tyranids keep themselves quite safe from chaos influences, though not necessarily immune to them.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

+ Reply to Thread