Fluff introducing my Space Wolves. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    RFT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fluff introducing my Space Wolves.

I sat down this afternoon to flesh out the character of my Space Wolf army- and by drawing on my own experience (i've been away from 40k for 11 years and am tenetatively feeling my way back, I'm quite techy so I like my Iron Priest stuff, and my army is a mix of old an new minis). so this is it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grimr Swiftblade is one of the longest-serving Wolfguard in Ragnar's Great Company, having watched the young warrior rise swiftly through the ranks across the last century, he's been proud of the association with one of the greatest warriors in the Space Wolves’ history. However, for the last 11 years he has been rendered out of action due to wounds sustained in an epic battle against a chaos warband. He was cast down in combat against a Lord of Change, deamonic power breaking every bone in his body and burning out his eyes. The battle was won, but at great cost.

The struggle to regain his health has been a long one, and deep in the Fang he's slowly recuperated thanks the ministrations of both Ulrik the Slayer and Iron Priest Thorstein Weldslag, who, though unable to make true bionic eyes, has managed to upgrade the targeting systems in both a terminator helmet and a Mk7 helmet to with a bionic implant to allow him to see almost normally. This means though, that without a helmet, he is blind. Even in such a state, he is still a formidable swordsman, as the keen hearing and sense of smell of a Space Wolf almost compensate.

And it is now because of Iron Priest Weldslag that Swiftblade finds himself in charge of a small force of marines.
    One night while ministering to the engine of a company rhino (normally, this would be thrall work, but every iron priest has their favoured machines), a loose bolt caused a lubrication pump to fall on him. While he lay unconscious, he had a vision of Russ, walking on some unknown world into a Giant manufactorum building tanks of unknown design. STC readouts could be seen, before some unknown force buried the whole edifice. The only information that could be gained from the vision as to the planet's location was that it orbited twin suns and had a deep red sky, despite the suns being high in the sky.

It was Swiftblade who was first to find the stricken Iron Priest, who told him of the Vision. The pair told Ragnar, and the Great Wolf's Counsel was sought. The Great Wolf said, given the odd nature of the vision, and it being visited on an Iron Priest, he would not call a great hunt, especially with the chapter spread so thin, But that a small party be raised to look into it. If more information were to arise on this expedition, then more marines could be committed to it. Grimr asked to lead it, and the Great Wolf and Ragnar did not hesitate to agree. Ragnar then asked Swiftblade to pick his expedition.

At Grimr's side will stand his retinue of Terminators- Gunnar Stormfire, who with assault cannon fire, slayed the Daemon that nearly killed Grimr, and in the same battle destroyed a land raider belonging to the hated Thousand Sons. Space Wolves do not set much store by the standard imperial honours, but that day he earned the Crux Argentis for his deeds, and he wears it proudly. Hogni Longflame's preferred weapon is the Heavy Flamer, and earned much Honour on board the Space Hulk "Halliwell's Lament". Hakon Darksky is Grimr's oldest friend, having been from the same Fenrisian tribe. Hrmond Redeye is the most recent elevation to the Wolf Guard, a sharp shooting former Grey Hunter.

Thorstein Weldslag was picked to be trained as an iron priest while he was serving as a Grey Hunter. When on a raid to recapture a Leman Russ tank from an Ork camp, he was able to improvise repairs to a rhino that was also found at the camp, immobile, by working under comm-link with his old mentor Hrolf Stoneanvil. The rhino had a broken driveshaft and with incredibly deft use of a meltagun, he was able to weld it back into service. That old Rhino (built for the Dark Angels in M.36, according to the build plate) has served as his personal transport for 30 years, and is currently attached to Eirik Brondolf's Blood Claw pack as part of the Expedition- Weldslag still has a taste for combat, and often leads the claws into battle himself to taste the thrill of combat.

Young for a Wolf Priest, Brynjolf Eggther sees to the physical and spiritual well-being of the party. This will be his first active duty as a Wolf Priest, having just completed his training at the foot of Ulrik the Slayer.

Rune Priest Lodmund Kylan is both a powerful psyker and an entertaining teller of tales. It will be his duty to record the expedition in stories, sagas and song. He has access to Terminator Armour has a Chooser Of the Slain, named Histor.

On the same night that Thorstein had his vision, Venerable Dreadnought Wybjorn the wise awoke. Never one to ignore an omen, The Great Wolf said that he must be fated to join the party. Before entering the sarcophagus, Wybjorn was a wolf priest, and trained Ulrik the slayer in the rituals of healing and ministration.

The infantry of the expedition is spearheaded by 16 young Blood Claws- many fresh recruits for whom this will be the first time they leave the Fang as Space Marines.

Alongside them are 20 Grey Hunters- split into two packs, "Ederyn" and "Rugnir". both are armed for long-range combat with boltguns, and between the two packs they have access to another venerable Rhino.

Scouts: Clad in varying patterns of scout Armour Bjorn the Silent's pack of Wolf scouts are tasked with preparing the ground on hostile planets or unknown areas.

At the back, quiet and measured, is Long Fang Pack "Asbjorn", each trained with several heavy weapons.

One of the Chapter's most Recent acquisitions, the Predator "Gudbrand" has been assigned to the expedition, along with a spare Lascannon turret. Thorstein's natural ability for field repairs and improvisation has led to a flexible approach to vehicle loadout.

Another recent chapter acquisition attached to the expedition is the Land Speeder "Arngeir". Built to Tornado-Pattern, it has been modified so that for long-range scouting the Assault Cannon can be removed to save weight and improve range. The Speeder's other use is as a crane- with precise piloting and some structural strengthening, it can lift the predator turrets in order to change the vehicle's weaponry.

His initial expedition selected, they boarded the small ship "Thorstig". just before leaving, Swiftblade was presented with a new bionic helm for his Mk7 Armour, shaped like a wolf's head, to mark his command. So it is that this band heads out to the stars to search for this lost planet and its mighty tanks. Some of the more irreverent Blood Claws have started to crack jokes about sending a blind man to look for something, but they'd better not try it when the more senior personnel are in earshot.

Last edited by RFT; May 26th, 2006 at 18:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Not bad, I hope to hear more of their exploits as they journey in search of Russ' lost machine shop (seems appropriate). I like the idea of the whole blind swordsman and the wide array of characters in this party are astounding. I guess it allows for some tabletop versatility. Good job, I should really get around to building up my fluff.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

I like it.
    Questions though:

I want to see a pciture of your Grimr Swiftblade.

Thanks in forward

Greetings,
    Wulfbanes
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

RFT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, er, haven't painted him yet. well, not the power-armour version. the terminator suit is the standard Wolf guard terminator "Sarge", with the bionic eye and a wolf pelt draped over him. and I'm not posting pics of him because I painted him 12-13 years ago and he looks rubbish. needs a touch-up at the very least, and possibly a full strip and restart.

the "wolf-helmeted" version is goping ot be based on the "Space wolf captain" mini pictured here. but I'm swapping the chainsword for a power sword- and maybe altering the pose a bit. I've managed to pick up a cheap mini off ebay that i won;t be too gutted it I mess up. new ones are still availabe to order from GW...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good but there are a lot of things happening to these marines. And there is one big big problem. Nobody knows how Old Ulrik the Slayer is. But he was going to be the wolf lord but turned it down. He instead became the wolf lord. So thee are a little things weird here and there but together its a good piece of work. I like the part about the Dark Angles rhino you should have some DA stuff scratched off on it, that would be great.

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DerkaDerka
    But he was going to be the wolf lord but turned it down. He instead became the wolf lord.
    I'm not meaning to be a jerk and just point out mistakes, but is wolf lord correct the first or second time? And what DID he become, if not the wolf lord. I'm just curious.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i meant to say wolf priest the second time and also I think a space wolf would rather be blind then have technology that isnt normal to their body. You could say that he has special scanners that project an infrared(sp) picture in to his brain.

RFT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting points, I think the main 2 that want addressing are:

ulrik the slayer's age- we know (from the codex) that he's older than Logan Grimnar. Therfore it follows that whoever trained him must be really rather old, and seems a good candidate for a ven. dread. Ulrik was going ot be a wolf lord, but turned it down, choosing the path of the wolf priest instead.

bionics- that's kind of what it is, he doens;t have bionic eyes as such, it's a system based in the helmets- the standard power-armour sensors and direct displays have been upgraded/altered to go from aumenting normal marine sight to replacing it.

really, I'm only using the "special characters", as my marines have long been painted as part of ragnar's company and i;'m not repainting them...

I got my "power armoured swiftblade" mini today, and i'm really looking forward to starting work on him. got to finish the blood claws first, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should say instead of his eyes were melted aways say that they were ruined so he can only see heat sigs on things. Like preadator lol. Give him the mark to make this fluffy like he is crazy and since he cant really see he gets hit on 3+ so it would be ok. And you said that this ip had a vision and if Grimnar didnt want to have a great hunt then i dont think he would have awoken any ven dread, espically(sp) one if its older than Ulrik becasue thats freaking old. But just some suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread