By the flames of War! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the flames of War!

Here is my history of my infamous commander of my IG forces, Field Marshall Rommel (my favorite military commander of all time!). Note I have only read two Warhammer 40,000 books, so I am not as knowledgeable about some things.

Erwin Rommel was born with flares in his eyes. He had discovered a taste for fire early in his campaigns. He had been fighting Tau for so long now. He knew that he had become infamous among the ranks he had engaged, and he intended to keep it that way. They feared meeting him face to face, especially with the flames he would usually bring along with him. He always loved fire, its eerie glow, and the power it had. Of course, he could never forget his engagement with Chaos forces early in his military career.

The horizon was covered in their army. Predators rumbled forward with utmost ferocity. Rhino's engines roared as they carried their deadly crew. Khornate Mutants marched towards Rommel's crater-covered position. Daemons were spawning in random places along the defensive line. He was only a sergeant back then, and controlled only a squad of men against the ruthless enemy.
    "Stand strong men, we shall stop these heretics in their tracks!" He yelled with great strength.
    "They are nothing compared to the hammer of the Emperor, for the Emperor protects us!"
    A Leman Russ with its powerful demolisher cannon rolled by and engaged the enemy first. Rommel and his squad took their last shots before the Chaos scum would assault. The blood red marines yelled and charged, axes held high.
    "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" They yelled as they met Rommels squad.

Rommel took a lunge towards the first with his sword. He saw it make its mark, and he dug into the mutant's body, blood spraying all over Rommels red carapace armour, and his peaked cap. He threw aside the carcass with great strength as he saw fellow guardsman being slaughtered by the axes. He swept forward again, this time pivoting on his left foot and slicing through a marine from shoulder to lower torso. The mutant fell into two pieces as he flooded the crater he died in with dark red fluids.

Just then a mutant took a fatal swing at Rommel's left arm. Rommel swung out of the way, just getting out of harm's way of his arm being severed. Unfortunately, his hand was caught in the axe's spikes, and it dropped along with his plasma pistol. He dove for the pistol, dropping his sabre, and rolling up to meet the mutant in the face, immediatly shooting through his armor with a plasma shot. The mutant fell, and Rommel shot another plasma into the mutant's head, repaying him for his hand.

Rommel looked to the left to see a Chimera explode in a large boom. Shrapnel flew everywhere, slicing into some of Rommels armour. Gaseoline flew from the skies and doused the nearby men in the slick, black substance. A red streak flew into the corner on Rommel's eye. By the time Rommel had the time to react, the mutant set a funnel of flames into him. The orange-yellow flames seared the right side of Rommel's face, along with his upper torso. He sent up a frag grenade, having it explode above a few of the mutants and sending them to their deaths. He then put one last plasma shot into the flamer mutant, watching him fall where he stood. Rommel collapsed, just in time to see a hellhound come to his squad's rescue, and dousing the rest of the mutants in flames, sending them running. He had no idea he would be staying in a coma for a month.

When he had awoken, he had been promoted and recieved the Honorifica Imperialis for his heroic acts of wounding and killing seven marines, and successfully saving his remaining men. The hand would be replaced, but he would have to live with the burnt face for the rest of eternity.

Much later, Rommel had gained control of a whole regiment, and had been put to the task of defending various planets against the Tau threat. He had dedicated a part of his force to both his love and hatred of fire. He even rode out on the battlefield in a chimera equipped only with heavy flamers. As soon as the Tau threat was finished in his sector, he swore he would fight the Chaos forces another day. He would destroy them by the flames of war.

Last edited by flakdragon; June 25th, 2006 at 16:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

::cracks his knuckles:: Okay while this is so far a good story and fluff for your commander. He'd only be infamous in the eyes of the Tau and Chaos, to the Imperium he would be a hero who truely showed the right aspects of humans. As for the medals, it wouldn't be a medal of honor (it would be the honorifica imperialis), and instead of two purple hearts (it would be the medallion crimson.) Also, the weapon choices do make sense, that and after the lost of his hand. He'd now have a bionic hand. Besides those things, the one thing though that kinda irks me the most is the fact that only a hellhound was what saved the lines, they'd send more than a single tank to save them. Atleast three tanks and 4-6 platoons to reinforce the lines would make more sense.If nothing else, you get bonus points for the right phrase of the Khorne Beserkers.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I ment a lone hellhound saved his squad, how could I phrase it differently?

I knew that his hand would become bionic, thats why I mentioned only the face would be with him for eternity.

Sorry for the medals, I just knew what the real ones were, not the warhammer ones.

I used to play choas khorne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, now the hellhound saving his squad makes sense. Here I was thinking he was holding part of a line with a single hellhound being sent to help reinforce that line. And I like the Tyco touch with the burnt face thanks to a flamer hitting near by.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

It seems a bit too heroic for an Imperial Guardsman, of any standing. He's making CSMs drop like flies after they've had ten thousand years of combat experience and a lot of biological enhancements. They really aren't that easy to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by flakdragon
    When he had awoken, he had been promoted and recieved the Honorifica Imperialis for his heroic acts of wounding and killing seven marines, successfully saving his remaining men
    Saving a squad wouldn't get the honorifica, more like saving several imperial dignitories or a long history of successful service.

He also recieved two Medallon Crimsons for losing his left hand and the permanent damage done to the right side of his face. The hand would be replaced, but he would have to live with the burnt face for the rest of eternity.
    You don't get two medallion crimsons, I don't think. It's a mark of your faith in the Emperor, not a tally for serious injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes
    You don't get two medallion crimsons, I don't think. It's a mark of your faith in the Emperor, not a tally for serious injuries.
    I think it's kind of a compromise actually.. It is the 'wound badge' of 40k. However, it's not like a purple heart. A medallion crimson is rewarded to those who suffer truly horrific wounds while doing something heroic. It's not just 'oh, you got wounded in action, here's a couple of medals.'

In 40k, guardsmen get wounded and die in their billions all the time. Making medals for them all would strain the already stretched resources. Losing a hand or facial burns aren't a serious injury. Getting half your body blown off by a plasma cannon because you dived in front of your commander at the last minute might earn you one.

Also, I'm a little leery about the berserkers. Fluffwise very few humans, no matter how strong, tough or dedicated, could even hope to defeat a single khorne berserker in combat, and those that can are generally inquisitors or assassins. During the siege of terra, a single khorne berserker led the charge through the breach into the Imperial palace, killing probably hundreds of guardsmen before a Sigismund (the first Emperor's Champion) arrived and fought him to the death.

Think of space marines as like the supernatural heroes in greek myths. Normal men pose very little threat to them unless they come in enormous numbers. Only similarly superheroic beings, like other space marines, can realistically stand a chance against them.

I know the game isn't like that.. but if it was it wouldn't be fun.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; June 21st, 2006 at 14:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, these aren't beserkers, merely some shabby troops of Khorne.

Next, if those are to the correct translations, I need something to represent a medal of honor better (I can drop the purple hearts, don't really need it, oh and from his waist up on his right side he practically lost half of that portion of his body to flames, pretty much 1/4 of his waist up).

I wanted him to be sort of a hero, not a regular officer, that way it looks kind of cool if you imagine him fighting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Well, these aren't beserkers, merely some shabby troops of Khorne.
    You described them as marines, from what I can tell. Even just marines that're khornate (and not gone the full way) are far from shabby. They're superhuman. They wouldn't be dropping like flies.

from his waist up on his right side he practically lost half of that portion of his body to flames, pretty much 1/4 of his waist up).
    Maybe qualifies, but I then wouldn't have him passing out. Bear in mind that the vast majority of Medallion Crimsons are awarded posthumously. That's the level of dedication in the face of injury that you're dealing with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes
    You described them as marines, from what I can tell. Even just marines that're khornate (and not gone the full way) are far from shabby. They're superhuman. They wouldn't be dropping like flies.
    Xerxes has a point on this one, you do describe them as marines. My problem wasn't that the marines are khorne berserkers, it's that you have a regular human defeating marines at all, let alone in great numbers. Even the lowliest legion thrall with badly cloned implants should be able to punch the head off any overconfident guardsman with one blow.

My advise would be to use a khornate mutant horde. That can still be pretty horrible, with hordes of hideously overmuscled monsters backed up by lumbering brutes, without suggesting that your commander can kill marines single handedly. It doesn't reduce his heroism, it just keeps him within the limits of human ability.

Jim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've presented Rommel as a sword-winging legend who can cut down 10 Khornate Space Marines. Is that really fair - for an IG Commander or for Rommel.
    If you really wanted to base your commander on your hero, why not make him a tactical genius. As far as I know, Rommel did not romp through north Afric cutting British tank commanders down with a sword, nor did he ever have any really, really serious injuries - nothing that would gain him two medals!
    Whilst you're trying to create your idol, and that's admirable, your fluff doesn't really fit a Guardmen or, indeed, Rommel. In my opinion, you've decided to make your commander an combat legend, neither reflecting historical Rommel or doing justice to your in-game commander, who I'll assume you will want to be placing as far out of combat as possible.

Nice try though, I mean it's your fluff, you can do what you like with t and I enjoyed the read.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast