why do night worlds exist? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do night worlds exist?

hi all... i apologise if this is a moronic question but........

i was wondering if anybody knows what situations could give rise to a night world?

i know of Mordian, which has a weird orbit which means one side is bathed in constant extreme heat while the other is dark... but what other situations could create a night world?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Nuclear/Comet Impact winter.
    A planet which is really a moon of a Gas Giant. It wouldn't get energy from a sun, but from the vulcanism caused by tidal forces.
    Extremely eccentric orbits (Distinct from a planet which spins at the same rate which it orbits, like Mordian or our own Moon).
    Just a few.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

I'm assuming you mean outside the eye of terror where actual physics apply.

Aside from what Corianis just said, in almost every case the cause is pollution. Well unless you live inside a hiveworld, in which case you don't get any light inside the hive (unless your the ruling class). Extreme pollution or atmospheric tampering would be the cause. This is the case on many forge worlds, where almost little or no (in some cases) light is visible.

For example, Nostramo, the home world of the Night Lords Primarch, Konrad Curze, is the most famous of night-worlds in my opinion. Nostramo's skies are (were) covered in a shroud of perpetual darkness kept the planet swathed in dull greys and deep blacks. The reason for this is Nostramo's chief export, adamantium, the mining of which (thousands of metalworks and chemical plants) smothered the air with filth and chemicals. Eventually blotting out the sun.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nuclear/Comet Impact winter.
    out of interest, does anybody know how long a nuclear winter would last?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

No one really knows, as it has never happened while humans have been around, and the nearest thing (whatever caused the K-T extinctions) happened so long ago that we can only estimate.
    Suggested periods, worked out from theory, range from years to centuries.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

for an indication of how long a nuclear winter could last, when Krakatoa exploded in 1883 (equiv to a 200megaton blast[13000 times more powerful than the Little Boy bomb from WW2]), it affected world wide weather by a degree or two, for 5 years!
    Now imagine that happening in say 50 locations around the world, and you have a significantly longer period of time, at a much greater temperature drop. The problem then is a matter of plant life dying off and not producing oxygen to sustain animal life. Theoretically a nuclear winter could last , for all intents and purposes, forever; however it is unlikely.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

A friend of mine once made up a planet which, like Mordia, was too close to its sun and so the 'dayside' was uninhabitable desert, but the planet was still revolving slowly. A day lasted for several months, but the people had to keep moving nomadically across the surface to survive. They basically lived in giant truck convoys and tapped underground fuel deposits to keep going.

That was a mad planet.. would make a great mechanised army though. Tribal desert nomads meets hells angel bikers and truckers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Actually, from my readings on the crazed theories of astrophysicists, night worlds may be very common.

The most common type of star in our galaxy is the red dwarf star. This is a small star which due to its low mass burns slowly at a low temperature. Due to its low gravity (due to low mass) they are theorised to be very likely to have planets around them, as they don't hoover up or blow away all the nearby matter left over from their formation. These worlds can orbit very close in as a red dwarf star is so much cooler and less volatile than larger stars.

A large rocky planet orbiting close in (think Mercury type orbits or even closer) would receive enough heat to support life. A peculiar effect of orbiting so close to such a (relatively) colossal mass though would be a tidal lock. One side of the planet would always face directly towards the star. Planetary spin would be impossible due to the enormous drag effect of the stars gravity. You might think this would mean that one side of the planet would be a desert while the other side would be an icecap, but apparently an atmosphere would mix the temperatures sufficiently to make the place inhabitable by Earth-type life forms.

Large rocky planets are apparently very likely to have atmospheres. Atmospheres are created not by leftover gases from formation, but by volcanic activity from within a planet spewing gases onto the surface. Larger rocky planets have such large internal fires that they can do this almost indefinitely, their vulcanism never dies away. Small rocky planets like Mars though tend to cool off over time. They then lose their atmosphere as it is blown away by the solar wind or reacts with the planets surface and is locked up in rocks.

The implication of all this is that as many as 50% of planetary systems may be orbiting red dwarfs (they constitute 50% of the galaxy's stars). Any inhabitable worlds would according to current theories have to be 'night worlds'. Such worlds, though they may have one side in perpetual night, may be as habitable on the day side as the night side, depending on their specific distance from their star. Humans may be able to live in the open around the 'day equator' of such a world. It would be a rather different world to ours though, with no moon and a perpetual huge red disc taking up half the sky.

Perhaps there is an alien race out there somewhere positing theories about how a planet might orbit the violently unstable inferno of a g-type star (our sun's type) and yet still be inhabitable. Looked at from a certain perspective it is our world that seems odd and unlikely. Our climate is only stable because of our huge moon which prevents the Earth from a wildly unstable spin. Left to itself it would often lurch off its axis, pointing one pole directly at the sun. Our sun is not at all stable, in fact it is predicted to change sufficiently in the next 500 million years to make life on Earth impossible (life on Earth is perhaps 3 billion years old, and only went multicellular 600 million years ago, so in cosmic terms that's not all that long).

In the Imperium the majority of open-air inhabited worlds may well be 'night worlds', one side always facing towards their looming red sun. This would be a perfect description of Mordia. Worlds in other systems may be like Fenris, with a wildly unstable spin and climate. A golden sun which travels across the sky may be seen by many as weird and strange, another of the special attributes of Earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

This isn't completely on topic, but how could you survive on a night world? no sunlight=no plants=no oxygen=no life.

So did Nostromo have big "air scrubbers" like the systems on Nuclear Submarines to allow for the C02 atmosphere?
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings
    This isn't completely on topic, but how could you survive on a night world? no sunlight=no plants=no oxygen=no life.

So did Nostromo have big "air scrubbers" like the systems on Nuclear Submarines to allow for the C02 atmosphere?

The same way hive-worlds and forge-worlds survive. They can grow little food for themselves (unless you count rat-burgers in the hives), and are completely dependent on food and resource shippments from other planets (agricultural planets etc.) [/QUOTE]
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast