Looking for some good novels to read up on. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for some good novels to read up on.

I'm looking for some good black library books that are based around dark eldar and eldar mostly. But i would like to read more about the imperium and the age of strife. if any of you could recomend some novels to me that aren't really based around depicting tales of enourmous battles and more about the background of humanity (in the 40k universe obviously) and the story of the dark eldar and the eldar, that would be great.

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum though, so i'm sorry if it isn't.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

There are like zero stories on the DE and Eldar. Not even the novel 'Farseer' is about Eldar that much.

About the background of Mankind, then I suggest the new 'Horus Heresy' series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

For books on Eldar and Dark Eldar, I would recommend ‘Warrior Coven’ by G. S. Goto and ‘Shadow Point’ by Gordon Rennie; both have Eldar main characters, although I’m afraid neither is wholly about the Eldar but have some Imperial characters as well. ‘Farseer’ by William King is also an option, as mentioned by Mighty Camel, although it doesn’t include nearly as much narration from the Eldar point of view.

As for books on the Imperium that doesn’t include enormous battles, that’s a tougher one, since the Warhammer universe more or less is one enormous battle. However, I’ve always found myself that the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series by Dan Abnett are very good at depicting the life of humanity outside of the famous battle-zones; both the aforementioned characters are Inquisitors working behind the scenes in some of the Imperium’s mightiest cities, uncovering foul plots and heinous heresies; if you want characters that explore the Imperium, from court dinners with the highest ranks of Imperial officials to sleazy mutant-only bars in the shanty-towns of Hive Cities, then these series are a good choice. :yes:

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for learning about the imperium, i'm looking for more of a story about an average human living on an average planet. About all the toil and pain that he has to endure just walking or if he has mechanical spider legs, then i want to read about how he scuttles off to work every day. Also something that talks about all the loss of imformation on humanities past, like what is their view of the industrial revolution or of the invention of computers. Little things like that i find extremely interesting.

One the major things i like about GW is their fluff support. Like most companies that produce games just come up with lame names and stories just to have something on the back of the box they want you to buy (reaper **cough**). But GW actually goes the extra two miles and produces very well written literature that would probably still be decent selling even if the warhammer/w40k games never existed in the first place! It seems like all the plots and backstories are well planned and are all in sync with everything else in the universe of 40k, like the fall of the eldar for example, and how that related to the eye of terror. Medusa seems to not be on track though, they just did what i hate: "just come up with lame names and stories just to have something on the back of the box they want you to buy."

and thank you all for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by blank generation
    As for learning about the imperium, i'm looking for more of a story about an average human living on an average planet. About all the toil and pain that he has to endure just walking or if he has mechanical spider legs, then i want to read about how he scuttles off to work every day. Also something that talks about all the loss of imformation on humanities past, like what is their view of the industrial revolution or of the invention of computers. Little things like that i find extremely interesting.
    This might be hard becuase, well, I don't think there are such stories...

is Alpharius FabricatorGeneralMike's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by blank generation

One the major things i like about GW is their fluff support. Like most companies that produce games just come up with lame names and stories just to have something on the back of the box they want you to buy (reaper **cough**). But GW actually goes the extra two miles and produces very well written literature that would probably still be decent selling even if the warhammer/w40k games never existed in the first place! It seems like all the plots and backstories are well planned and are all in sync with everything else in the universe of 40k, like the fall of the eldar for example, and how that related to the eye of terror. Medusa seems to not be on track though, they just did what i hate: "just come up with lame names and stories just to have something on the back of the box they want you to buy."

and thank you all for your input.
    There really are not any stories like that. And that is a shame, because to me what makes 40k so great and depressing the the overwhealming sence of hopelessness in the 41 M. Humanity is besiged at all sides and from within. Everybattle keeps the unmentionable and the unthinkable at bay for just one more moment. there is nothing but fighting and seiceless toil in the Emperor's name. Technology and science, advancment of the human race , progress, and hope has all been abandoned in the fight for mear survival. And to me personally the fluff is what makes 40k such a great universe to play in. The fluff is what has kept me interested in the game for the last 6 years or so. Because of work and real-time, I have not had tome to build and play a army. But the books and codex's have kept me informed as to what is happening in my favoret universe. I like the fact that GW keeps alot of fluff vaigue and that just adds to the mysterious nature of the game. I also think that they keep alot of stuff vaigue to just show how much has been lost never to be re-discovered. And you will find that alot of people also love the fluff. And that is why so many people are hard on other people about there fluff. Especially Fluff-Masters, its not that we want to shoot you down and say that ' Not that can not happen' its more like, ' No that would not happen and this is why it would not happen in the 40k universe' Alot of people are passionate about it because they love it so much. And they wish fluff to be done the 'right way' Nice post and interesting choice of topics. I can't really add anything to the suggestions that have already been thrown out there. If I do come across anything else tho I will be shure to PM you and let you know tho:yes: :shifty: :yes:
    FluffMaster on a mission to turn people to the Sisters of battle, yes folks it's all about SoB squads in Repressors with lots of flamer templates for the win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you want to learn about an average person put into a bad situation then you should read 15 hours. It is a good book about a normal kid put into a bad situation.

+ Reply to Thread