Can nid swim? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can nid swim?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can nid swim?

just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya i'd guess so. when they 1st hit tyran, a water planet, they had to swim to the observation rig, while fighting the idigeones (wow, im bad at spelling) life.

also they can survive in the vacuum of spce, so i think water is fine. i was actual thinking bout doing a "deep sea" nids after a late night watching national geographic and discovery channel about the giant squid, and the deep sea fish and stuff. never got around to it though

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Booted to the Fluff forum.

~Thread moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright thanks. Yeah i was kind of thinking the same idea. I'm also thinking of using water effects on their bases. and then make the water look a little bloody on some bases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember, Tyranids supposedly breathe through their skin.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus
    Just remember, Tyranids supposedly breathe through their skin.
    I don't remember ever seeing that said anywhere really. Plus I don't think they really even need to breath since they can survive in the vaccumm of space.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x3)

Most of them actually can't survive the vacuum fo space, they get carried in thier ships and dropped to the planets in spores. I believe the tyranid codex shows diagrams of them and points out those little holes on the sides of their head as breathing holes. So its unlikely they breath through there skin.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Tyranids as a race can certainly breed sea-going monsters, but as for the more commonly encountered 'Nidz I doubt it.

Nidz are supposed to have spiracles, similar to insects which may or may not preclude them from swimming, but consider a 'Gaunt.

Two slashy claws on the front and a body covered in chitin, it probably wont be wondeful. A Carnifex would be too heavy to swim, though it might be able to stomp along the sea-bed (presuming the hive mind gave it some "water-evolved" biomorph).

On the whole I would expect bioengineered for swimming creatures to replace the standard creatures in a water environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I think you guys are probably right.. I doubt they're going to be dropping standard nids onto acquatic worlds.

There's actually a short story somewhere which is set on a boat at sea during a nid invasion. The water turns an unsightly colour as lots of spores are dropped into it, presumably some kind of tyranid algae. So maybe they don't need to send in aqua-rippers to digest the sea life.. they just poison it and wait for the stuff to float to the surface.

It would be a bit silly though if a small river could hold up a tyranid swarm, so I'd imagine they all can swim over short distances. Chitin is quite bouyant, after all.

The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings
    A Carnifex would be too heavy to swim, though it might be able to stomp along the sea-bed (presuming the hive mind gave it some "water-evolved" biomorph).
    I can immagine the Imperial Guard now:

"GOZZIRRA!!"

You know... 'cause like... he comes outa the ocean... I know SOMEBODY thought that was funny.... Or maybe it was just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast