New Eldar Army Fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Eldar Army Fluff

With the coming of the new Eldar Codex, my mind has been racing, trying to construct a nice fluffy backstory for my new army. I want it to be centered around a young Pirate Prince (Autarch) from the craftworld Iyanden, who, along with a farseer for council, is traveling around the galaxy, seeking out exodite worlds (in a ship i created for BFG) and trying to recruit their most capable warriors and citizens to the rebuilding of Iyanden. I thought a really cool point to the story would be that along his journeys, the Autarch comes across 5 spirit stones containing the souls of 5 great exarches from Iyanden. The spirits communicate through his farseer that they wish to aid him in his noble cause, and are entombed in wraith guard armor to form his personnel body guard.

Questions? Comments (Good or Bad)?

Space Marines are the gateway drug

If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Sounds like a good foundation for your fluff. You need to flesh out this skeleton with extended fluff and a few short stories and you'll be well on your way to having a good background for your army.

Be sure to post some of your stuff up on the forums mate; I would like to read it.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kalahir looked out at the vista in front of him. Majestic mountains running in both directions as far as his eyes could see, their slopes covered in lush vegetation. Dusk began to settle as the sun dipped lower in the sky, and the native birds began to cease their songs.
    The same proved true in the Exodite village below him. Lights had begun to fade, as the town he’d been watching for a week once again settled into its nightly slumber.
    Himself fatigued, but not sleepy, he leaned his back against a tree. He contemplated his existence, wondering how those peaceful villagers bellow him had once had the foresight to escape the greatest cataclysm the galaxy had ever known.
    As his mind wandered, he did not hear the approach of foot steps behind him. Only when he felt his thoughts being probed did he acknowledge the presence.
    “Always curious about what I’m thinking, aren’t you??
    Ignoring the comment his visitor stepped into full view. His plain robes did not betray his extraordinary talent, as his rune armor and witch blade usually only accompanied him into battle.
    “Your mind is truly a talented thing Kalahir, but you still have much to learn. Those Exodites had the foresight to leave before the fall, but have they learned? Their inclusion has hampered them. They cannot grow and learn, because they fear change.?
    “I take it that is not the only piece of wisdom you have brought me tonight Tathesius??
    “That mon keigh force we crushed upon our arrival was the tip of the iceberg. I have foreseen a large force arriving. We must finish our business here or risk becoming trapped upon the surface and entangled in a war I do not think we can win,? said Tathesius grimly.
    “Friend, your judgment has never betrayed me before. I will finish our business here with due speed.?
    With that Tathesius left as quietly as he had arrived.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kalahir was up long before the sun crested the mountains. He finished his meditation as the large fiery orb cast its first rays across the peaks of the mountains. He watched the light soar down the slopes of the mountains, and into the town, where the villagers had begun to stir.
    He finished putting on his battle armor, just a Tathesius arrived.
    “The gods are smiling on you today, brother, but be wary. I fear we cannot trust these villagers. Their champion will give you a fair fight, but the town elders do not wish him to leave. You must be wary of treachery. Our rangers will be in the hills watching everything, as will Naadia and her Swooping Hawks from the sky.?
    “Thanks you, friend. But now, it is time, farewell.?
    With that, Kalahir strode from the tent, his great Dire Sword sheathed on his hip. He donned his great battle helmet, with its elegant plumage, and focused his mind on the coming duel. This villages champion was powerful, and would aid Iyanden greatly. He just needed some convincing.
    As he came down the hill, he saw that the villagers had already gathered, forming a ring in which he would do battle. He made contact with Naadia, who immediately dove like a thunderbolt, landing in the center of the crowd, causing a ripple of whispers.
    As Naadia straightened up, one of the villagers cried out, “Have you come to challenge our champion??
    “No,? said Naadia, Twirling her web of skulls playfully, “One greater than me is coming now. I am merely here to watch, and to watch for treachery.?
    Kalahir emerged from the trees, and moved towards the circle, although his presence was not yet felt by the people. He made eye contact with Naadia, who pointed towards Kalahir. As the crowd turned to look, she gave a shrieking cry and shot into the air, where she would circle over the battle field with her soldiers.
    The confusion created by Naadia’s departure allowed Kalahir to slide into the open center of the circle. With out acknowledging the crowd at all, he drew his sword, all the while his gaze was fixed upon his adversary, who wielded to short swords.
    A look of knowing passed between them, and they began to circle, growing closer with each step.

Kalahir raised his sword and the champion lunged towards him. The crowd gasped as the clang of metal wrung out across the valley…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

I like the overall structure of your fluff; as rp252 says, fleshing out your background with a few more details is a nice touch, and you’re definitely on the right track in my opinion. Do keep up the good work!

There are a few things that make me wonder, though. First of all, I don’t think it’s that common for a Farseer to leave his Craftworld to join forces with a Pirate Prince, even if they do share the same home; Farseers are immensely valuable to the Craftworlds, and Iyanden is furthermore very short on citizens in general after their costly fight against Hivefleet Kraken – although it might of course be that the Farseer has foreseen the potential of a prosperous future for his Craftworld that can only come about by his direct influence on matters pertaining to this mission that your Pirate Prince seems to have adopted, or that he’s trying to prevent another possible catastrophe from befalling his beloved home. It’s not unheard of that Farseers sometimes receive visions that bring them at odds with the Seer Council of their Craftworld and strike out on their own along with whoever will follow them to see their visions either fulfilled or prevented.

Secondly, I would comment on the idea of your Pirate Prince coming across spirit stones containing the souls of Eldar Exarches – Exarches aren’t to my knowledge equipped with spirit stones like ordinary Eldar warriors; rather, their unique armour functions as a miniature Infinity Circuit which absorbs and stores the souls of slain Exarches, meaning that each new Eldar to don the armour of an Exarch also gains the abilities and knowledge of all Exarches to have worn the armour before him, as well as their advice and counsel, should he need it. Just like a Farseer can consult with the spirits of his predecessors preserved in the Infinity Circuit of a Craftworld, an Exarch is in permanent contact with the spirits of those before him through his armour.

Therefore, finding actual spirit stones from an Exarch goes against the canon fluff as I understand it, and I would also find it unlikely that a high number of Exarch armours should be lying around for your characters to find; those serving the Eldar Shrines would go to great lengths to recover a lost Exarch armour, and it would take something truly cataclysmic such as the complete destruction of a Craftworld before an Exarch armour would be abandoned for anyone to find. Also, the souls of Exarches would not be transferred to Wraithguards but remain in the armour to continue their fight against the enemies of the Eldar on the Path that they became bound to in life as well as in death.

I'd say that it might be possible for your character to find maximum one Iyanden Exarch armour; considering how decimated Iyanden has become, it might be that the Shrine to which the armour belongs was entirely wiped out or is so undermanned that they haven't been able to send anyone to fetch the body and armour of the dead Exarch, a grave sin. Perhaps your Pirate Prince has taken it upon himself to recover this precious artefact and return it to its home, and maybe that's also why the Farseer has decided to accompany him? It's an idea, at least.

~Greph.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well thank you for all the clarification, i shall set about editing immediately

and to clarify your point about the farseer:
    Kalahir and Tathesius were dispatched by the the craftworld to seek out warriors to help replenish Iyandens population, sorry for not making that clear
    Last edited by Inquisitor Rosario; August 28th, 2006 at 20:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Grephaun
    Exarches aren’t to my knowledge equipped with spirit stones like ordinary Eldar warriors; rather, their unique armour functions as a miniature Infinity Circuit which absorbs and stores the souls of slain Exarches, meaning that each new Eldar to don the armour of an Exarch also gains the abilities and knowledge of all Exarches to have worn the armour before him, as well as their advice and counsel, should he need it.
    ALL Craftworld Eldar wear Spirit Stones whenever possible (i.e., they haven't been captured and stripped). Exarch armour does posess the souls of many previous wearers- those souls are in the spirit stones one sees clustered all over the suit.

So its unusual, but it is theoretically possible to find an Exarch's spirit stones that are not in a complete suit of armour. Perhaps the armour was destroyed (a Court of the Young King made a disasterous last stand on some far off world, and were finally slain by ordinance. The armour would not survive, but the stones might, and some of them might be recoverable if the victors didn't find and loot them.), perhaps the spirit stones were simply removed for some reason (an isolated shrine on a colony or tiny, unknown craftworld that drifted so far from civilization and for whatever reason, their webway passages became unusable. As the occupants of the shrine knew that they were dying out, they put their Exarch spirit stones in a safe place that could be recovered one day.)

The OP's premise is deffinitely unusual and a bit video-gamey for my tastes, but certainly not impossible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

About Exarches and Spirit stones..
    Isn't it mentioned in a short-story in the beginning of the current Eldar codex tha tthere is a Wraithlord present that contains the Spirit Stone of a mighty Exarch? I could be wrong though.

I havn't read the short-stories in your post but I like the overall structure of it. This Pirate Prince, couldn't he be an Autarchinstead? He could be appointed by the ruling Council of the Craftworld to seek out new Eldar to rebuild it? A Pirate Prince is an Outcast that is generally seen with suspiscion and misstrust and it would also make more sense if he was an Autarch with a Farseer that was appointed to him by the Council to guide him on his mission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel
    About Exarches and Spirit stones..
    Isn't it mentioned in a short-story in the beginning of the current Eldar codex tha tthere is a Wraithlord present that contains the Spirit Stone of a mighty Exarch? I could be wrong though.

I havn't read the short-stories in your post but I like the overall structure of it. This Pirate Prince, couldn't he be an Autarchinstead? He could be appointed by the ruling Council of the Craftworld to seek out new Eldar to rebuild it? A Pirate Prince is an Outcast that is generally seen with suspiscion and misstrust and it would also make more sense if he was an Autarch with a Farseer that was appointed to him by the Council to guide him on his mission.
    yea i realized an autarch is better than a pirate prince, and he and the farseer are working for the craftworlds ruling council to recruit more warriors. I think also that the wraith guard bodyguard should be made up of relatives of the autarch who were killed defending Iyanden against the 'nids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

It's a good idea, striking out to find lost remnants, although not too Iyanden, I must admit. I can't see a Craftworld that's struggling to survive even more than normal Eldar going on an expedition to retrieve that many artefacts. Maybe if it was an all-aspect Iyanden army it would make sense (it's private shrine business), but I'm not sure that it would concern the Craftworld as a whole enough to warrant a farseer's interest. Unless it were pivotal to the existence of Iyanden, in which case it would be official fluff somewhere. Or maybe not, given the obscureness of Alaitoc's dependence on the existence of the Culexus Temple.

+ Reply to Thread