Chaos Raptor/Obliterator Fluff? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Raptor/Obliterator Fluff?

Hi everyone, I'm basically in the early stages of creating a nice backstory for my fledgling Alpha Legion army, and i think I'd like to focus the story around not only the HQ, but also the Raptors that I eventually hope to incorporate, at 2k pts. (they seem to be pretty bloody expensive points and money wise, might as well make them main characters! :w00t: )

Now in the 3rd edition Chaos Codex the little blurb mentions a tiny bit of information about them, that they are "a faction that cut across the boundaries of the Traitor Legions" (hope I'm not breaking any copyright rules :blink: ) and that got me thinking about how I might wish to present them.

Now y'see, the thing is, I'm still quite new to the game, I know quite a lot actually from many hours of mindlessly reading fluff on wikipedia, but that probably isn't the end all and be all. I don't know the little tidbits and other things an experienced veteran might know, I don't exactly how this or that might work, or work out, I certainly won't know who killed who in this or that battle.

What I mean to say is, I don't want to make any broad or sweeping assertions in my fluff that might contradict official fluff. So I wonder, is there any official GW fluff on Raptors, are they like a Cult that doesn't worship the Chaos Gods, only the thrill of the hunt, are they organized on a large scale, etc.

On a smaller note, for Obliterators, is there any interesting fluff of note? I think I would like the idea of making my Oblits somewhat simple minded, but that won't work out if they are prone to berserk rages all the time :rolleyes:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's very little fluff on Raptors from GW. But if you're going to use them, they're very versatile. As you said, they don't worship any chaos god, but rather worship chaos undivided. They tend to be far more animalistic than other CSMs. As far as I'm aware, they're in small groups, without much in the way of large-scale organisation.

Simple minded would work fine for Oblits. Mind you, the do tend to be mildly insane and machine like, but simple minded isn't going to cause any headaches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Raptors were the pre-Heresy jump pack troops, using better jump packs than the Imperium currently has. After the Heresy, they banded together out of their love for flight and the hunt, Chaos eventually warping both them and their jump packs. They're members of the cult before anything else as far as I understood it, including legion membership. I would imagine that the Raptors that serve in Chaos armies are groups of individuals who have chosen to join in because the hunt could be fun, rather than through loyalty to a particular lord. Also, becauser of the warping of their jump packs, they need to be close to the Eye. Do you plan to reconcile this with the fact that the Alpha Legion spend a lot of time outside the Eye?

As for obliterators, they are all insane. Being full of metal does that. Read the Inquisitor article on the Obliterator Virus, it charts the course of the virus and goes into its effects in detail. Granted, it doesn't include the CSM-specific bits of it, but they can be added fairly easy without much conceptual trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raptors were the pre-Heresy jump pack troops, using better jump packs than the Imperium currently has. After the Heresy, they banded together out of their love for flight and the hunt, Chaos eventually warping both them and their jump packs. They're members of the cult before anything else as far as I understood it, including legion membership. I would imagine that the Raptors that serve in Chaos armies are groups of individuals who have chosen to join in because the hunt could be fun, rather than through loyalty to a particular lord. Also, becauser of the warping of their jump packs, they need to be close to the Eye. Do you plan to reconcile this with the fact that the Alpha Legion spend a lot of time outside the Eye?

As for obliterators, they are all insane. Being full of metal does that. Read the Inquisitor article on the Obliterator Virus, it charts the course of the virus and goes into its effects in detail. Granted, it doesn't include the CSM-specific bits of it, but they can be added fairly easy without much conceptual trouble.
    Hi, thanks for your replies. Thanks especially for the Obliterator article Xerxes, it offers quite a bit of insight.

Very interesting Raptor fluff. At the moment, I'm imagining that my Raptors will be somewhat like outlaws/mercenaries, so I think they could fit in perfectly with what you have told me; that is, they hire themselves out to a certain detatchment of Alpha Legionnaires without being particularly loyal to them, probably send home whatever loot or plunder they take back to their buddies in the Warp, and keep the choice bits for themselves.

It is true that Alpha Legion operates mainly out of real space, so I guess my Raptors will need some sort of backup power source for their jump packs. How about if a Daemon were trapped within their suits/jump packs? Or, they could loot Imperial/alien technology. OR, they could have some sort of arcane warp device that could act as a battery for them.

Also interesting that you say their jump pack technology is superior to anything the Imperium currently has. Is that because of the overall decline of the Imperium (to the point that the Adeptus Mechanicus doesn't even understand how some of the more complex bits of machinery work?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptik
    It is true that Alpha Legion operates mainly out of real space, so I guess my Raptors will need some sort of backup power source for their jump packs. How about if a Daemon were trapped within their suits/jump packs? Or, they could loot Imperial/alien technology. OR, they could have some sort of arcane warp device that could act as a battery for them.
    As I understand it.. this is the problem.

Raptors and their weapons are fuelled by daemonic energy, and outside of the eye, this energy is quite weak. The same is true for daemons and obliterators.. there just isn't enough energy to sustain their unnatural bodies far from the eye.

The scavenged parts idea makes sense though. Just bear in mind that they're warped, semi-daemonic creatures, and their equipment is almost a part of them. Changing the bits is going to be like giving yourself a kidney transplant.

Alternatively, they might feed on the mortal worshippers the alpha legion commands, using their prayers (or even their souls) to sustain themselves. This could be delightfully creepy and nasty.

I never saw oblits as stupid or slow witted so much as downright warped. They may lumber around the table, but unless they grow powerfists they're still hitting at regular space marine initiative, so the old synapses seem to be functioning fine. I doubt they're going to be able to carry out a functional conversation or plan a careful tactical assault though. For the purposes of dialogue and behaviour, I'd treat them a little like possessed, since that's essentially what they are, with the exception that the being possessing them is a daemonic virus and doesn't have much of a personality of its own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternatively, they might feed on the mortal worshippers the alpha legion commands, using their prayers (or even their souls) to sustain themselves. This could be delightfully creepy and nasty.
    Hmm... souls as a power source? I think you might be on to something Mantis

is Alpharius FabricatorGeneralMike's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptik
    Hmm... souls as a power source? I think you might be on to something Mantis

I was going to say, why not have it so that the jump packs are posessed and need a regular 'recharge' of souls to keep them running. nice fluff btw, keep up with it its proving rather well done :yes:
    FluffMaster on a mission to turn people to the Sisters of battle, yes folks it's all about SoB squads in Repressors with lots of flamer templates for the win.

+ Reply to Thread