How does recruiting work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does recruiting work?

I read a small history of the Flesh Tearers and noticed that they do something horrible to the natives of this one planet.

I was curious how exactly people are "recruited" to become space marines? Do they just take them without explanation and then inject them with the gene seed and then they grow to eight feet tall? Do the space marines take women?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

One Vision, One Purpose! X-Slash-X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Hey knightenfex. Fortunately its not as simple as that, otherwise we'd have many more Space Marines running around doing whatever it is they do.

Here is the "offical" process, on the UK Games Workshop site on the creation of a Space Marine. Hope that helps.
    There is also something on the Black Templars page about how they recruit Here. I believe it is a mini Campaign, but it has some Fluff in there about how one becomes a Black Templar.

I hope this answers any questions you might have. Otherwise, I'm sure one of the Fluff Masters/Mistresses will be with you soon.

X-Slash-X
    ----]00[-------]00[-------]00[----

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by knightenfex
    Do the space marines take women?
    Before one of those people starts screaming for even asking the question....

In the official, GW-published canon fluff, the answer is a big no. However, this shouldn't stop you if you want to create your own fluff, as long as you explain it semi-decently. It's a fantasy-esque game.. and over 50% of the universe was not written about, so there shouldn't be any problems coming up with things that aren't GW-official.

As for the process of becoming a SM, I'm sure that Index Astartes I also has something about it. :yes:

One Vision, One Purpose! X-Slash-X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Thanks Lord Nemesis. I forgot to mention Index Astartes, aswell as answer the question about women. Don't delve too deeply in the "Women Space Marine" thing, or your once innocent topic will turn into a flame-fest. Not many people take lightly to the whole idea, like Nemesis said.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors.

X-Slash-X
    ----]00[-------]00[-------]00[----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

I see that X-Slash-X has already posted the link to GW’s page on the actual Marine initiation process, so I’ll skip that part.

As for the actual recruiting of candidates, most Space Marine Chapters only take willing recruits; the Flesh Tearers have always been a bit of an odd one, being a Successor Chapter of the Blood Angels and therefore having a quite unique view on the value of human life and ethics. Most other Chapters consider recruitment a distinct honour that the young hopeful candidates must earn by feats of unusual strength or athletic ability, or the power of their will and minds.

The exact method of choosing suitable recruits varies from Chapter to Chapter; the Dark Angels arrange competitions between their candidates to test their strength and agility, taking only those who can master all trials, while the Blood Ravens have all their candidates fight each other in a giant arena – whoever isn’t killed and doesn’t run away is then recruited. The Ultramarines are commanders of their own system of planets, recruiting the best candidates from a set of school-like ‘gymnasiums’ that train the bodies and minds of all their subject on Ultramar, while the Imperial Fists choose their candidates among the most capable of Hive-bred gangers. The Doom Eagles Chapter have a Fortress-Monastery that is so difficult to reach that the travel itself weeds out the unsuitable, while the Salamanders maintain a close connection to the people of their homeworld and take many apprentices, the best of whom are recruited and the others returned to their families or becoming serfs.

So the methods of recruiting are varied and often reflects the philosophies of the Chapter’s Primarch or Founder, but common for all of the above as well as most other Chapters is that becoming a Space Marine is an honour you must earn, not something forced on you.

~Greph.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for the good replies.

I have a couple more questions then (this is all for a piece of fiction I am working on that takes a first-person viewpoint no one else has tried before and I need this info to help describe the Space Marines as an outsider would view them. As to who/what that oustider is I am sworn to secrecy )

Do the space marines take slaves?

The Emperor needs 1000 people sacrificed to him daily to keep him alive (According to "Blind", not a bad novel, btw.) Where do they get these people from?

In case you haven't guessed I am portraying them as misguided and cruel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

The Emperor needs 1000 people sacrificed to him daily to keep him alive (According to "Blind", not a bad novel, btw.) Where do they get these people from?
    There is a fleet of inquisitorial vessels called the black ships which fly around searching for psykers. The majority of the psykers these ships pick up on their long tours around the universe will be fed to the Emperor. The rest will serve in the astronomicon choir, replacing those who burn out, and the strongest will go on to fulfill psychic roles in the Imperium, becoming astropaths, sanctioned psykers, space marine librarians and the like.

If by 'take slaves' you mean 'possess slaves' then I guess so, but only to the extent the rest of the Imperium does. They use servitors to perform all the mechanised functions of maintaining their fortresses and starships, just like everyone else. There are no real computers in 40k. They also have a staff of chapter serfs, usually made up of those who failed to pass the trials neccesary to become space marines themselves. But they're more like trusted squires than bootlick slaves.

The trouble with dissing space marines is that, yes, they're cruel. They may possibly be misguided, though I'm not sure how any Imperial citizen could think such a thing. But, ultimately, they're effective. You can't argue with the guy who gets the job done when noone else would have a paper bat's chance in hell.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; September 6th, 2006 at 13:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Do the space marines take slaves?
    The term slaves is off but they use servents, they have thralls and all sorts of other servents, however, this is not a pleasure/idleness thing, they use servents because they dont have time to mess around maintaining vehicles, repainting the monestry, cooking food, they are too busy with training, devotions and operations, it really does work the way the monks used to in the middle ages
    This is half the info, the emperor is maintained by the golden throne and in turn provides the astrinomicon, allowing the Navitas nobilite to navigate ships around. In order to maintain this 1000 PSYCHERS are drained each day.

These are collected by the black ships of the inquisition who travel around the Empire of man searching for individuals with psychic potential, not all are used to feed the golden throne, but that is the source of the souls who sustain the emperor
    In case you haven't guessed I am portraying them as misguided and cruel.
    Misguided? who is to judge, without the actions of the space marines, particularly during the greaet crusade, humanity would be destroyed.
    Cruel? no more of a necessary evil in an unfair and hostile universe

You want cruel, look to the Eldar/DarkEldar
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    Cruel? no more of a necessary evil in an unfair and hostile universe

You want cruel, look to the Eldar/DarkEldar
    Space Marines aren't cruel, ruthless maybe, its their duty which binds them which is cruel, and yes its a pretty cruel universe

Space Marines have an underlying nobility despite their often dark nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

435 (x6)

Do Space Marines take slaves? Well, that surely depends on what Chapter you’re talking about. Marine Chapters do have ordinary people working for them, called serfs, to do all the menial work around the Chapter’s Fortress-Monasteries and ships required to keep a Marine Chapter fit for fight – however, the Chapter serfs are usually volunteers and fiercely proud of working for a Space Marine Chapter, so calling them ‘slaves’ would be quite off. For one, they wouldn’t run off given the chance, and serfs have been known to fight viciously to protect the locations they’re stationed at. Some serfs will also take an offensive roles and fight side by side with their Marine masters, and most Marine ships and fortresses rely on serfs to repel intruders if invaded or boarded while the Marines are out fighting.

Some serfs are Marine recruits who never made it through the selection process due to physiological incompatibility or other minor deficiencies that would make them capable individuals but lacking just the final touch allowing them a full transformation into a Marine. Other serfs are trained professionals who’ve dedicated themselves to the Chapter, such as the crews manning the Chapter’s ships and transports, the artificers maintaining and repairing the Marines’ armours, the apothecarium medical staff, and so on. Other serfs are born to the job by parents that were also serfs, if the Marines allow their serfs to have families, while others must qualify for the job in other ways.

Some serfs are not treated very well by their masters, though, and these would qualify as being ‘slaves’ – the Iron Hands, for instance, are noted for being very brutal towards their serfs; their serfs are failed Marine recruits, and since the Iron Hands tolerate no weakness in themselves and others they pretty much treats their serfs like dirt.

As for the Emperor and His sacrifices, I believe that has already been covered by Cheredanine; the Emperor is fed the essence of a thousand psykers a day – these psykers are chosen by the Adeptus Telepathica from among those brought in by the Inquisition’s Black Ships. All Imperial Planetary Governors are required to find and collect rogue psykers among their populace, and these untrained potentials are then gathered up by the Black Ships.

Some psykers, if they’re young and powerful enough with the willpower to resist temptation from the Ruinous Powers, become Inquisitors and Space Marine Librarians, others with less willpower are bound to the Emperor in the Soul-Binding Ritual so that their minds are protected from Chaotic influence and then become Astropaths, but those that are too powerful or too weak to resist Chaos are only a danger to themselves and others, risking daemonic possession that would let loose Chaos into the heart of the Imperium, and so they’re sacrificed to the Emperor so that He may keep the Astronomican alight and guide ships safely through the warp.

As for Space Marines, some of them are surely misguided and cruel, having forgotten the Emperor’s reason for creating them as protectors of humanity and seeing only their own superior strength compared to the weaklings they unfortunately must tolerate, but others such as the Ultramarines and the Blood Ravens are actually wise and kind people who only want the best for the humans they’re charged to protect. Portraying all Marines as cruel would surely be a mistake, unless your protagonist has never experienced anything else and is prone to crude generalisations.

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast