Finding Dates for the Battle Sisters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Finding Dates for the Battle Sisters

First, I hope that this is the right place to post this. I may get confused from time to time, but I am trying!
    I am still assembling my first army (The Order of Our Martyred Lady) with an eye towards a second army (originally thought that Grey Knights would be perfect.) However, while reading Dan Abnett novels, an idea struck me. A rag-tag Imperial Guard army, made up of the tattered remains of several different armies, i.e. some Cadian, some Vostroyan First Born, some plain old Mercs. At the center of it would be the few figures that Citadel has made available of Gaunts Ghosts, with Commissar Gaunt himself being a part of the HQ.
    Now this force, combined with the Sisters, would be absolutely human, that is no biogenetic enhancement and no hi-tech hop-up. Therefore they are 'imperfect', though the Guards might have less difficulty dealing with that than the Sisters who feel that they participate in the Emperor's Perfect Light.
    The icon for this combined army would be a skull with a rose in its teeth and a purity seal tied around the head (no, not 'Guards of the Carribean'!) bearing the Fleur de Lis. Their motto would be: Flawed Glory: 100% Pure Human!
    The two forces (Sisters & Guards) just happen upon one another amidst the chaos of a desperate battle. Though in nature, the Sisters and the Guards are totally opposite in nature, Gaunt is classy enough to keep his men in line and show the Sisters the proper respect until the battle's end when they could part company. (as well he is smart enough not to wish to piss off the Ordo Hereticus!)
    For reasons that I haven't figured out just yet, they either choose or are forced to work together. There might even be a wee bit o' sexual tension between Gaunt and, say, a Repentia mistress.
    There's more, but I feel that this is long enough. Let me just say, that the fluff and the back stories are important to me, as they give the game humanity and provide a means of ditching this world. If all I sought was to move my pieces across a board in hopes of conquering an opponents pieces, I would have stuck with chess!
    Any thoughts?
    And again, if I have posted this in the wrong place, forgive me. I even re-read the guidelines!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Well, the general idea sounds fine to me; however, I do have a slight problem with mixing in canon fluff characters such as Gaunt and his Ghosts when their books make no mention of them ever having teamed up with the Sisters of Battle, especially since you propose to create a new army force with its own emblem and all, i.e. something more permanent than just a temporary alliance in the midst of a chaotic battle.

If I were you, I’d leave out the canon fluff characters (although you can of course use the character models, perhaps converted a bit, and with a new name and background invented by yourself), but the rest of the story isn’t too unlikely for me to accept; the survivors of a number of Imperial Guard regiments marooned on a hostile planet with no hope for reinforcements band together against the overwhelming force of their enemies in a hopeless attempt to turn back the tide of the enemy charge when they happen upon a group of the Adepta Sororitas who are similarly stranded and vastly outnumbered.

Seeing the logic in joining forces, the Sisters of Battle agree to add their numbers to the band of Guardsmen – temporarily, mind you, since they’re with the Ecclesiarchy and not the army proper, but at least until they’re being rescued/reinforced/their mission is completed (whatever that is, perhaps something secret since someone having an ulterior motive for anything vastly adds to the background fluff)/they’ve saved someone being kept captive by the enemy/they’ve salvaged or destroyed a holy relic that can’t fall into enemy hands/you name it.

You can still have the rest of your story too, even the suggestion of sexual tension between the leader of your band of merry men and the leader of the Sororitas, although I dare say he better not act on it or else risk losing some crucial parts of his anatomy. I think it could make a good fluffy background story with just a tad of work. Just leave out Gaunt, is all I’d suggest.

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Thanks for the cudos, though I must say that a part of me is not ready to surrender the idea of using Gaunt.
    Another aspect of the story would involve the presence of an all black squad or squads. I have always thought Warhammer to be too white!
    The black squad is not only bent upon survival with dreams of victory, but simply trying to prove its worth as men. Their leader is Commissar Jefferson who claims to be a descendant of the off-spring of President Thomas Jefferson and a slave. I may have to lower his rank as I'm not convinced that the 41st Millenium is ready for a black commissar.
    I also have black repentias and have toyed with the notion of an all black order of sisters, i.e. The Order of the Ebon Libre (Black book)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Sartorious View Post
    The black squad is not only bent upon survival with dreams of victory, but simply trying to prove its worth as men. Their leader is Commissar Jefferson who claims to be a descendant of the off-spring of President Thomas Jefferson and a slave.
    He wouldn't know about that, and definitely wouldn't have survived as a half-cast over all those years. The history of the Heresy is shrouded in mystery for most, let alone a president (what's one of those?) that lived 29,000 years before that.

Make him the offspring of a highborn-lowborn/slave certainly, but ties to the present day would be nigh on impossible.

I may have to lower his rank as I'm not convinced that the 41st Millenium is ready for a black commissar.
    I also have black repentias and have toyed with the notion of an all black order of sisters, i.e. The Order of the Ebon Libre (Black book)
    Why are they not ready? It's not like race is a huge issue in 40K (as much as the Salamanders are often thought of as the "token blacks" of 40K); I'd imagine that all the "races" of old intermingled a long time prior to 40K, with natural selection reasserting itself a bit more once the colonists had settled, resulting in black and white people depending on the climate of their world. As far as why there are only white models painted, it's because that's primarily what the painters are exposed to, and so what they know best and think of first when painting a model, not some preconceived bias against blacks in 40K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I realize that this is delicate issue and I certainly had no intentions of ruffling anyone. It's just that in my short time with Warhammer, i have not seen a single black model, nor read about a single black character in the 'black' library, nor met a single black player at the Hobby Shop. I just found it curious. ..not necessarily a bias but just an odd oversight. I believe that introducing black characters into armies and story lines would add depth to otherwise standard and predictable situations.
    As well, it presents a painting problem. To paint any sort or shade of caucasian, I simply purchase any of a number of varieties of 'flesh', which makes me wonder what that substance is that envelopes the bodies of the black soldiers. The repentias that I painted were done in Vermin Brown, and I would love any suggestions on shading and highlighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

On the subject of 'black' characters in 40k (is the term 'black' even politically correct these days? I'm having enough trouble keeping up with what's hot and what's not in my own language when it comes to political correctness, let alone a foreign language on top of that.) In any case, there are mention of black characters in 40k; I can't recall the names from the top of my head, and as I'm writing this at work I can't check my fluff sources until I get home, but I definitely remember not a few black Space Marines, none of which were Salamanders.

As for the physiology of skin colour in 40k, Xerxes is quite correct that it mostly depends on the climate of a character's home planet as well as the origin of his ancestors; I would predict that most people are actually a mixture of various races. Besides, to paraphrase that great author Terry Pratchett, racism isn't given a lot of attention when you can have speciesism; who cares if you're white or black when you can go about hating someone who's green or got pointy ears?

~Greph.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Yes, 'black' is politically correct.
    I recall in High School wanting to paint myself green so that I could be the only member of a species.
    Again I ask: any advice on painting (highlighting/shading) black characters?
    And finally, I really mean it when I say that I in no way wanted to aggravate anyone with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Would it be feasible that on a rather isolated planet, the Eldar have established a stronghold in a long abandoned city of some unknown origin and while there set up a warp gate built and powered by a new, not before seen technology? The Imperium becomes aware of this and send the I.G. to drive off the Eldar and secure the gate for purposes of shutting it down and also to obtain the device.
    The I.G. barely survive the ensuing skirrmish, but with the aid of a squad of Battle Sisters who are in the area and dispatched to the planet, the Eldar are driven off, the city taken and the gate secured and closed down.
    A relatively young, inexperienced Sister is allowed to serve nurse to the wounded (as the fight is done and the enemy gone. ..for the moment) and does begin to feel something for one of the soldiers. However, on the second morning they awaken to the roar of one of their own tanks explodiing in time to find the gate reactivated. Come to find out that the Eldar had gotten inside the head of this young soldier and were using him. Feeling somewhat hurt and extremely ashamed, the young Sister puts a bolter round in the trooper's brain pan and is then assigned to the Repentias.
    The only problem I see is actually trying to play this out. Imagine an opponent watching me begin a turn by having one of my own troops blow up one of my own tanks only to then be capped by one of my Sisters? At this point, the other player might figure that since I'm doing such a good job defeating myself, he could just step out for coffee!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

I like the idea you have. I say run with it.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Again I ask: any advice on painting (highlighting/shading) black characters?
    This should go to the Painting//hoby discusion thread.

About the only one of the species, Yeah, as a race you don't last long on the evolutionary scale. Cool idea tho.

As Fluff, the bullet in the brain pane idea is cool, the acctual playing of this scenario would be dificult, as the last battle is over and the new one is hasn't started yet. maybe deep strike your enemy, remove one of your mid/heavy tanks, remove one random guard. Commence play.
    Leave the Black Commisar.

About the Blacks. Talk to <E!_Mance>, His chapter master is Ebon skined.
    I make a point of never laughing at stupid people. They can't help that they're stupid, just as I can't help hitting them.- Aun'Vre

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast