Are Grey Knights really that good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Are Grey Knights really that good?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    A single squad of grey knights can and has annihilated entire space marine chapters in a single day.
    Ummm... Bull****.

How could one squad wipe out an entire Chapter? What kind of idiot Master devotes his entire combat force to one squad in one battle. And even with the shrouding, how can up to 10 men survive Vengeance after Vengeance after Castellan from Whirlwinds, and to my knowledge, only a Justicar in said squad will be able to take down the Land Raider AT ALL... Which will open fire with its various freemy guns.

Please tell me how the Grey Knights can waste 100 Marines for each one of their own in a war...

Last edited by <E!_Mance>; October 12th, 2006 at 19:14.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Ya, maybe 50-100 grey knights, backd up by an entire inquisitorial fleet, could take on an entire chapter if they caught them airly unawares..

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

Yet When I say that Liberty's Vanguard, when attacked by about 30 coming from one place with their fleet tied up by our own, defeats the handful and glorifies the event...

Well, such wailing and gnashing of teeth I have never heard...
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Well I haven't followed your LV to the letter as of late so that last one is a bit of a mystery, but for all their training and all their secrets grey knights are still space marines that do not know whose genestock they come from. It's still space marines vs space marines no matter what people want to believe, the only difference is one has the backing of the inquisition most of the time (being the weapon of the inquisition and all.)

Its far from impossible from a handful of them to be defeated by one-hundred times their number; its not hard to believe for ten of them to fall to ten times their number.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

Newer (Liberty's Vanguard Fluff section.)
    Older (The Chapter of Hiigara)

Just for your delectation... If you're interested at all...

But I just don't get The_Giant_Mantis's statement...
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Looking over Mantis's posts, ten grey knights could not take on an entire chapter head on; but when it comes to what they did to the flame falcons I could easily see them dropping a large portion of a company to maybe even two of them in that one action easily. (Then all it takes is control of the battlebarge to attack the rest of the fleet and home of the chapter before setting the battlebarge to self destruct.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x3)

The way i see it is that the Grey Knights are a mainly Anti Daemon force, that although they fight marines it is not their main purpose. So i can imagine 10 Grey Knights easily being killed by a 100 Marines. However if the same ten Grey Knights and 100 Space Marines were to fight a major Daemon attack the Grey Knights would be much more effective.

So i can say that on a 100 vs 10 fight Grey Knights are still marines who can be dropped by bolters, although "Super" marines.

So yes Grey Knights are superior but not extremely so in a Marine vs Marine fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Clown
    Aren't we just the popular boy! Your title should read 'stud muffin of LO'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it seems to me if you want to keep the black templars/grey knights off your back your homeworld needs to be hard to reach, maybe situated in a cluster of black holes like the port maw instalattion of the stars wars world. I like the idea of a barren world locked in position by the equal pull of black holes being teraformed. Your Balcora fleet could have mastered navigating this dangerous area of space. course this is all my opinion and probably has gaping wholes in its plausabilty, but thats what i like about the game. Also just because they templars and grey knights are bad*** it does not mean they are not also defeatable. Both chapters are spread out constantly engaging other foes. I can understand life being difficult for them, but survival is not out of the question. The facsinating thing about the 40k universe is the plethora of races and armies, the humans being but one of them. They are well equipped and continue to play a central role in the universe, but they are not omnipotent. How is a less than pure chapter any different from an ork warband, a tau colony force, or a tyranid hive fleet? By this chapters existence, it adds just one more fluffy twist, a chapter in limbo struggling to survive and at the same time do what they believe is right. I doubt they could last consistent toe to toe engagements with the Inquisition, but with careful planning, cunning, and the right frame of mind this chapter could exist quite easily in my eyes

my crazy rant for the evening. But honestly knights aren't that omnipotent every day. Why a well placed earth shaker cannon demolishes my grey knights almost every game. It does rather bother me when creative talnet like yours is put down. the game evolves and the fluff should as well
    Last edited by Inquisitor Rosario; October 13th, 2006 at 03:37.
    Space Marines are the gateway drug

If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Just to throw out... they might not be that good, but they're good. Better than the average Space Marine by far.

I can't remember where it is, but their skill is compared to the Adeptus Custodes... that's pretty dang good, and much above that of an ordinary Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

Yeah. But only about 30-50 were sent along with =][= forces...
    And of that, about half actually made it planetside.
    And they all landed dispersed...

And after that, the =][= stopped sending major engagements...
    The Black Templar invasion force was pushed back, and the enitre Chapter is being hunted down by the 3rd, 4th, & 7th Companies.
    Besides, they weren't really trying to kill LibVan off, they were passing through (it was the Nimbosa Crusade, we live in Tau space...).
    48W/7D/11L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast