Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Legacy of the Night Haunter
After the assassination of their beloved Primarch, the Night Haunter, a small faction of the Night Lords Space Marine Legion broke away from their now Chaos-corrupted brothers. As disgusted by the betrayal of the Emperor and the way in which the Legion had degenerated, a veteran from this small faction took charge and pledged an oath to the spirit of his Primarch that he would do all that he could to right the wrongs that the Imperium of Man and the foul forces of Chaos had committed.
Lucian Crowe, as he called himself, believed in the values of true justice, just as the Night Haunter himself did. He felt betrayed by the Emperor for bringing ruin upon his Primarch and initiating the turn of his own Legion. Crowe brought his small breakaway fraction far from the crumbling Imperium to wait out the remainder of the Horus Heresy. In this period of waiting, he sought to increase the number of men in his ranks - he gained many a follower, not all of them Space Marine, but all equally just and committed to his cause.
As time went on, Lucian Crowe sought the services of the mad Fabius Bile, one of the few (if not the only one) who could create new Space Marines outside of the Imperium. Over eighty percent of Crowe's non-Space Marine followers died at either the hands of Bile or at the hands of Crowe himself (who thought it unjust to order them killed - if they were to die, he himself would do the deed) due to mutations that he deemed too impure for their cause. However, the near-twenty percent who were successfully 'created' were twice as loyal as before, ready to serve the justice that Crowe had in mind.
Crowe deploys his forces very similarly to his former brother-Legion, as they are one and the same. They utilise terror tactics to defeat the enemy, and are perfectly willing to win a hundred small victories in order to achieve their goal, as opposed to throwing everything they have at a single engagement. These Night Lords actively seek out forces of the Imperium, especially those of the original Space Marine Legions, as well as forces of the Chaos-turned Night Lords, their cursed brothers.
The preferred method of dealing with the criminal and psychotic Night Lords of the realm of Chaos is to turn their terror against them - Crowe himself would devise plans to take the power of terror from their hands, and what better way to frighten the Night Lords than to take away their power to cause fear?
Lucian Crowe is armed with an enhanced power scythe, an ancient suit of artificer armour with an incorporated energy field, and with a modified jump pack that has been remodelled to allow the wearer to make long leaps as opposed to actually flying, reducing the noise that such a piece of equipment usually emits.
Crowe believes that his Primarch's spirit lives on in the souls of he and his faction, the 'true' Night Lords. Due to this belief, and the belief that the galaxy needs it, Lucian Crowe has gone to calling himself the Night Haunter.
No model is allowed to bear a Mark of Chaos. Daemons, including Possessed, may not be used.
asome man:w00t: i love nigth haunter and the nigth lords. Once u read the fluff 4 these guys u never go back. Interesting idea 4 ur caracter with his wargear is he meant to represent old Jack o'shadows aka death:rolleyes: .
Hey Lost. I like what you have written so far. It makes a good foundation upon which you can build. You do need to flesh out the fluff though. Some parts I would concentrate on are:
- Where they went to avoid the rest of the Heresy, what they did during that time and when they emerged back into the 40K universe. It might be cool to specify how (forced/asked etc) and where (make up planets/systems) they sought new recruits. For example, they could have helped a planet's population with a certain problem to gain their trust, or installed themselves as demi-god style figures.
- You say they all pledged an oath to the spirit of the primarch. You could write down the oath they took and quote it when you write up the fluff. This would add some depth to your fluff; you could even use a part of the oath as the force's battlecry/motto etc.
- I'm not too hot on the ways in which Fabius Bile creates space marines, so I can't comment on that. However, you could go into more detail about Bile's interaction with Crowe. Bile is known to ask for payment for his services - it is often slaves or valuable artifacts etc. As his services are so valued, he can ask a high price and people will pay. I think you should go into some detail about the price Bile asked of Crowe and his followers. This could be one of a number of things like slaves, artifacts, ancient tech etc, and could be expanded into a short story detailing your marines meeting that price (e.g. stealing an artifact).
- As Crowe and his followers seek out the original SM legions, you could write some short stroies about about battles fought against these hated enemies. You are dealing with some very well fluff-established forces, so should avoid massive universe-altering events - I know I don't have to tell you that but I had to say it
- I really like the description of Crowe. You should bulk this out a bit (more detail - not more equipment) and he will sound hard as nails. In particular, specify where he got his equipment from; ancient artifacts/made by artizans in his force/gifted to him by those he met during his time in hiding during the heresy etc... It could also be a good idea to write a short story about him (either in battle or something more original) to buff out his character a little more and add depth to the fluff.
- I wonder if the fact he calls himself the Night Haunter hints that he is slowely going mad? This could be said to be a subtle sign of chaos taint if you want it to. Alternatively it could be his age, or perhaps he is doing it for completely sane reasons like you said.
- Maybe It's just me being thick, but have you given your force a name - I can't see one? If not then you need to
Any ideas as to colour sheme yet - I am guessing very similar to the old legion's colours?
Overall mate I think you have a really nice concept here. Post up anything you write to flesh this out and I'll happily read it and give you feedback. Hope this helps buddy.
Not a real question so much as a minor nitpicking point but how did Crowe survive the 10,000 years following the Heresy? A Marine is not technically immortal and the reason most Chaos Space Marines have survived as long as they have is because of the warping influence of Chaos which essentially freezes time for them. I'm not even sure about the Alpha Legion, to be honest, considering that they operate so far away from the Eye of Terror but I suppose that their allegiance to Chaos has some benefits. If Crowe is not pledged to Chaos like the other Night Lords, then how does he manage his unnatural longevity?
Other than that, good work. It just needs to be fleshed out more, that's all.
As for where they went, and a date for re-emergence, got any ideas? I'm not familiar with the galaxy map and all that, so I'm not too keen on the locations that this would be possible for.Originally Posted by rp252
I'll work on the new recruits part.Great idea! Now I just need to take out the ol' poetic skills and figure a decent oath out..Originally Posted by rp252Bile's Marines, more often than not, end up mutated or dead... I'm not 100% positive how he goes about it, but I'm sure some "normal" Marines come out of it.Originally Posted by rp252
As for the payment, etc., that's another great idea - would make a great narrative battle report, actually. I'll keep that in mind for a mission if I ever get this army rolling.Very true - it would probably mostly be skirmish-level battles, nothing changing the course of the galaxy or anything like that. Small outposts, things like that. Imperial Garrisons being supported by a tiny faction of one of the original Legions, etc.Originally Posted by rp252Definitely one of the next steps I'll be taking. Crowe is a fun character to me, and I plan on bulking his character and actions out. He's going to be rather similar to the original Night Haunter, as far as his beliefs go, but he'll be sure to have some interesting quirks.Originally Posted by rp252I like the going mad idea, but another Night Lords thread somewhere on the forum, someone already came up with that idea and I'm not sure if I want to repeat it. Maybe just a tiny bit of madness - what Space Marine isn't a bit mad?Originally Posted by rp252As a whole, they call themselves the 'original' or 'true' Night Lords - they believe that they represent what the Night Lords should have originally become, before the masses of criminals and the taint of Chaos seeded their way into it. As for a more specific name, I'm a bit stuck on that at the moment.Originally Posted by rp252You guessed right. Their power armour will be very, very similar to pre-Heresy Night Lords, but with a few twists here and there - after all, thousands of years chilling somewhere will change you.Originally Posted by rp252Much appreciated! ^_^Originally Posted by rp252Very good point, and one that I find myself struggling with. The Alpha Legion is even less Chaos-worshipping than you think - they are more dedicated to simply attacking the Imperium than actually owing allegiance to Chaos, as far as I know, and it's to the point where they are so far from the Eye that they can't even summon Daemons. Their Cultists need to do that.Originally Posted by NiteRabbit
Any ideas on how he could survive longer? Maybe something he allowed Fabius Bile to experiment on him? Though, Bile wasn't around much during those 10,000 years.. was he? Hmm. Ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone for the responses - as soon as I get some more ideas, I'll see if I can't flesh things out a bit. ^_^
Hey, you stole my idea for my future Night Lords! :w00t:
It's my dream to do a Night Lord army that believes in their Primarch, so to say, rather than Chaos.
Darn you. :rolleyes:
The way I had planned to do it was that they were mainly based in the EoT along most of their brothers and were serving that DP which i have forgotten the name of... But they were very independent and launched their own wars and cared little of Chaos, using it as a tool rather than a symbol of worship. This would explain how they could have survived 10,000 years and all.
You mentioned that Bile made experiments on them? Why not say that these experiments were simply ways to make them survive for thousands of years without dying of age?
Nice fluff though! I look forward to seeing more of them!
I'm a big fan of non-corrupted chaos marines and this is the best I've seen yet. To further theme the army, you could cut out demonic gifts that aren't fluffwise something else (like the artificer armor and energy field being technically demonic armor and aura), obliterators, and model raptors as assault marines.
Chief Inspector Dreyfus: Are you wounded?
Clouseau: No. Fortunately I was saved by the darkness.
Chief Inspector Dreyfus: So what we need is more light.
Already got it down. ^_^ Daemons, Obliterators, etc. aren't allowed - nothing with a Mark of Chaos is - and the other things I could use, like you said, as stand-ins:Originally Posted by Bellum_Gerreo
Raptors = Assault Marines, Gifts = equipment, things like that.See, my own version refuse to even truly associate with Chaos - they wouldn't put themselves in that position. I do, however, like the Fabius Bile parts. I had forgotten what time period, etc., he was around in, but I just re-read his entry fluff and he was around since before the Heresy anyways, so he'd of course be around.Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel
He could be responsible for both new Marines and the technique of increasing a Marine's lifespan, and such like that.
Yeah I guess that could work.
Oh, and here's a map for you!