Space Marine physiology - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine physiology

I have one simple question. Do their genitals really shrink/ disappear?

I know it's a popular rumor and may be even considered an "urban legend" in the fluff, but it is true? I've read the steps to becoming a space marine and no where does it say they loose their wangs!

Someone said to me that the marines take steroids and pump up and get all beefy. Since they push 'roids their wangs/ nads all shrink. My only thought is... it's the 41M! You think the Imperium would have made better drugs within a few million years! 'roids now will shrink your nads, but c'mon, the imperium has to do a little better than this!

Also, it is said the marines are created in the image of the Emperor. And the Emp is meant to be the opitomy of what humans are meant to be like, i.e. a "god". Does that mean the Emp had no wang? No way! The emp would have made the marines to have super wangs! I mean, they are all super human in every other respect! And look at Slaneesh, I'm sure they use their wangs all the time! :shifty:

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C'Tan Pooky View Post
    I have one simple question. Do their genitals really shrink/ disappear?

I know it's a popular rumor and may be even considered an "urban legend" in the fluff, but it is true? I've read the steps to becoming a space marine and no where does it say they loose their wangs!

Someone said to me that the marines take steroids and pump up and get all beefy. Since they push 'roids their wangs/ nads all shrink.
    No, not that I'm aware of, I think they lose their ability to reproduce sexually, but not in the sense of the good ol' *slice*.

My only thought is... it's the 41M! You think the Imperium would have made better drugs within a few million years! 'roids now will shrink your nads, but c'mon, the imperium has to do a little better than this!
    1.It has been nowhere near a million years...

2.They probably have superior muscles not due to steriods...but due to the fact that they are basically torn apart, and implaned with a bunch of genetically altered organs. And those organs grow faster.

Also, it is said the marines are created in the image of the Emperor. And the Emp is meant to be the opitomy of what humans are meant to be like, i.e. a "god". Does that mean the Emp had no wang? No way! The emp would have made the marines to have super wangs! I mean, they are all super human in every other respect! And look at Slaneesh, I'm sure they use their wangs all the time! :shifty:
    Lol, this is just silly.

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

we'll, i wouldn't think that they would lose thier privates, but instead they just are diciplined enough to control thier desires. either that or they are fed some kind of hormone/ sex repressor. plus, thier too busy fighting aliens and giant robots 24/7, so they have no time to do it. and when you think about it, they don't have many good options. i mean sisters of battle YUK:x, no thx...
    and sure, daemonettes are pretty kinky:w00t:, but they scratch too ruff with thier talons
    Last edited by Koss; November 9th, 2006 at 02:19.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by alexpape7 View Post
    we'll, i wouldn't think that they would lose thier privates, but instead they just are diciplined enough to control thier desires. either that or they are fed some kind of hormone/ sex repressor. plus, thier too busy fighting aliens and giant robots 24/7, so they have no time to do it. and when you think about it, they don't have many good options. i mean sisters of battle YUK:x, no thx...
    and sure, daemonettes are pretty kinky:w00t:, but they scratch too ruff with thier talons
    i dunno, after goin a few hundred years, the Sisters might seem a little appealing :shifty:

but anyway, i think that through thier organic implants and everything, they just remove teh ability to reproduce, not that they cut it off :hmm: but something like a visectamine (sp is way off)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Omnissiah View Post
    Ya...thats pretty much what I think too. Although, they might remove the testicles due to the chance of pointless excess pain (can they even feel pain? lol).

-The God of all Machines
    i dont think they could feel the pain through the armour anyway, unless those damn traitor guard get the lucky shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya...thats pretty much what I think too.

HEALTH CLASS! :blush: :hump: :blush:

Although, they might remove the testicles due to the chance of pointless excess pain (can they even feel pain? lol). Besides, the only use for testicles are for reproduction. They actually need their....thing...so they can ...errrrr..."go to the little god-warrior's room". And because they reproduce asexually so to speak (due to the whole progenoid gland extraction and implantation), they have really no use, need, or any peticular yearning...for their balls...

Cheers!

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Hm, seems like this thread could need a medical professional, sex ed teacher and moderator all at once. Therefore, here I am. *Bows.*

First of all, it has never to my knowledge been indicated in the fluff that Space Marines are in any way castrated upon initiation, be it medically or physically; however, neither is there any proof of them not being affected in such a fashion, either for traditional or ritual purposes or as a side-effect of the drugs and chemicals introduced to the initiate’s body during the rites of initiation. All the fluff makes clear is that Space Marines do not procreate.

There are three theories which can explain this fact:
    1. Space Marines are impotent, i.e. they can’t have sex.
    2. Space Marines are sterile, i.e. they can have sex but not produce children.
    3. Space Marines are neither impotent not sterile, but living in self-imposed celibacy.
    Which of these possible answers is the right one is currently unknown; personally I lean more towards the third one, because Marines are often likened to casts of warrior-monks, templars if you will, and monks have always found self-imposed celibacy to be an important aspect and proof of the devotion to their divine calling.

The Catholic Church supports celibacy in its priests because it believes that only by shifting one’s focus totally and without exception from the mundane to the divine can a priest ever hope to understand but a fraction of the true nature of God, and any worldly distractions would remove one’s focus from the true calling – and considering how much time most guys spend (waste? :rolleyes focusing on the very mundane subject of sex, I can rather see their point. If you replace the word ‘God’ above with words such as ‘war’ or ‘devotion to one’s Emperor/Chapter/battle-brothers’, then I think that’s pretty close to the Space Marines’ philosophy on life. They spend so much time fighting, in fact their very purpose of existence is to fight and die for the Emperor and the Imperium, that even the slightest distraction would prove a dangerous liability to them.

However, even if Space Marines were castrated or sterilised during their initiation, I doubt very much that it would involve removing the testicles and/or penis (wow, I wonder if this post can even manage to pass the swear filter. :blink The genitals are the male body’s most important source of testosterone, a hormone that is absolutely crucial to the upkeep of many bodily functions, and it would seem a terrible waste of resources to remove them when you would then have to continuously supply the body with testosterone artificially throughout the Marine’s life. However, it’s possible that the chemical treatments might somehow disrupt the testicles’ ability to produce viable sperm, making the Marines sterile.

As for the Emperor, He actually had sons in the old fluff, meaning He was neither impotent nor sterile back then. :rolleyes: And as for Slaanesh-worshippers, well, they have a very different approach to the whole subject, as can be seen in one of the Black Library novels written by Ian Watson – I believe it was ‘Inquisition War’. Let’s just say that it isn’t all that pretty. :x

And just to add another paragraph in my aspect of moderator, I would say that this thread is borderline inappropriate for the forum. I’m letting it stay for now, for the sake of hopefully starting a useful debate and furthering other members’ knowledge of Space Marine physiology, but it really is rather silly at points, so let’s not devolve the thing into an online version of prepubescent sniggering but try to keep it as appropriate as possible. Ok guys?

~Greph.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

I took it to be some steroidesque reaction to the chemicals that get pumped through a marine's system (anabolic steroids can cause testicular atrophy, for example). I don't personally accept that the Imperium has managed to produce "clean" steroids as it were, as they're in a technical Dark Age. It may have been possible when the knowledge was undamaged (Dark Age of Technology), but not "now", in the Age of the Imperium.

Although this now hangs on whether or not the implantation process involves steroids, which is something I honestly don't know. I'm assuming there would be some kind of steroid analogue, although the question we must ask then is why space marines don't start to grow breasts (another steroid side effect). It's unanswered, and so there are arguments both ways. I prefer to go with the horrific images, and so I assert that space marines shrivel, and are infertile, because although anabolic steroids only cause temporary infertility, the amount of drugs that marines need to keep their systems stable (not that regularly, but they do need them), and hte amounts involved of those drugs, would make for pretty much permanent sterility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

In fact, Omnissiah, there are several variations of (physical) castration. Just for the record, the two most 'common' are removal of one or both testicles, or removal of both penis and testicles. This latter was often done in China to young boys (up until the start of the 20th Century) in order for them to become eligible for high rank in the Chinese civil service. The idea was (apart from removing a significant time-wasting distraction from these employee's lives) that a castrati would not be able to sire any children, therefore there would be no point in their conspiring to assassinate their seniors (even to the level of Emperor) in order to replace them and thus found a new dynasty with their children. This has been why eunuchs have been favoured senior Civil servants in many cultures from ancient Rome days. The Chinese eunuchs carried their 'stones' around with them pickled in jars, and would arrange to be buried with them.

Anyway, my point is - that these 'full' castrati could not go to the toilet like other men, they actually had to use a straw to pee through in the manner of a catheter. And I would suggest that Space Marines use some kind of catheter (I understand you can get something called a Divers Friend that is basically a bottle, a tube and a gizmo like a condom) in order to urinate, while wearing their armour. I also imagine that on campaign they consume high energy, low bulk foodstuffs to reduce or remove the need to defecate.

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Senior Member I am the Monkey King's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'd favour a psychological view of it. Humans have three basic instincts:

1.Survive
    2.Mate
    3.Remove contenders for 1 and 2 (by killing them)

Since the psycho-indoctrination of Space Marines involves messing with 1 to make it subordinate to 3 and with 3 to make it more "destroy the enemies of the God-Emperor", I can't see any reason why they wouldn't meddle with 2 to either remove it (doubtful) or amalgamate it into 3. So basically any urges they would normally have had to procreate would instead manifest as a wish to kill the enemies of mankind.

I find it highly doubtful that they meddle with an initiate's genitalia, both because of good chemical reasons given by Grephaun and also because its extra work thats unnesecary.
    Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.

+++ Osric the Loopy, planetary governor of Corania (appointed 756.M41, removed from office by the Officio Assassinorum 764.M41) +++

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast