Space Marine Brothers.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine Brothers....

Hi all, WNW here...

At the moment i'm making a Space Marine Army called the Dragons of Cortana and i am in dire need of fluff for them... At the moment because i have two chaplains in the army equipped both the same way... And i had a wierd idea to think that they could brothers... (Not Battle Brothers) but biologically linked brothers who were recruited into the Dragons of Cortana and who jointly master the chapter...

If this is allowed it would provide some very interesting storylines about the two brothers, but if not oh well...

Cheers

White Ninja Warlord :ninja:

~The Means Will Always Justify The Ends~

"Anything in Inquisitor is plausible, just mathematically improbable"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I think it's not a bad idea and has a good precendent in good old fashioned storytelling, even if it doesn't in 40k.

The one problem is the probabilities involved. What are the chances that two brothers will reach the extremely high physical, mental and psychological demands required for space marine initiation?

Sure, it's not impossible, it just requires a little more explanation than saying 'they were both really good.' How did they each get to the stage of gutting big animals single handedly by age 12? What were the differences in their abilities?

Also.. how did they both reach the rank of chaplain? It's not easy to become a space marine chaplain, and it's a very personal calling. What led them both to do it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    I think it's not a bad idea and has a good precendent in good old fashioned storytelling, even if it doesn't in 40k.

The one problem is the probabilities involved. What are the chances that two brothers will reach the extremely high physical, mental and psychological demands required for space marine initiation?

Sure, it's not impossible, it just requires a little more explanation than saying 'they were both really good.' How did they each get to the stage of gutting big animals single handedly by age 12? What were the differences in their abilities?

Also.. how did they both reach the rank of chaplain? It's not easy to become a space marine chaplain, and it's a very personal calling. What led them both to do it?
    Sorry i didn't explain myself fully... I do have some fluff written about them, i was more worried that it would be deemed impossible due to certain reasons, (which may still come up)...

One of the potential storylines that i was going to have was that they both where recruited from different sectors of the imperium, this is before they remeber having a brother therefore when or if they are recruited into the Dragons of Cortana they know not of them being brothers... This fluff can change if need be i just needed a way (preferably unqiue) to state the reason i had two chaplains in my army...

White Ninja Warlord :ninja:
    ~The Means Will Always Justify The Ends~

"Anything in Inquisitor is plausible, just mathematically improbable"

is Alpharius FabricatorGeneralMike's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x2)

well, I hope I can offer some help with your brothers fluff. which I think is a GREAT and AWSOME idea, very origional.

The Dragons of Cortana are one of the greatest enigmias of all the Hallowed and Holy Chapters of the Blessed Astartes. They where founded in the 36M some time after the Age of Aposty to help 'remind' the Ecclesiarchy that there duity is to the God-Emperor and the Imperium, not there own desires for power. After this most blessed of chapters was founded, All 1000 of the Battle Brothers where transported to Holy Terra to swear Their Oaths of loyality to the Emperor Himself, A practice that has long sence been forgotten and claimed by others to be obsurbed. But the Dragons of Cortana have never forgotten this practice.

Like other space born chapters they have a massive fleet of ships, including the Battle Barge, The Asending Knee , named after there Honour of being able to swear there Marine Oaths before him-on-earth, The Beneficant Emperor. As such they do not recruit from just one world. There organinstional skills are somewhat different from other chapters. With in each company except for the first, there is a detached unit of chaplains and libarians, acceptence into this unit is very heavly contested as the stake ofthe chapter rides on these individuals. So the selection process is very strigent and few make the grade. Strike cruisers from the fleet leave and search out the most promising recruits from a varity of worlds. Now they do not just look for the fiercest warriors from a culture, they also look for some spark of piety and dedication to the Immortal Emperor that must be there before the Chapter will even consider them worthy to attempt to become recruits When the ships make planet-fall it is the dual job of both the chaplains and and the Librarins to select those who seem the most worth to become Battle-Brothers.

What happens is that with-out his knowledge the selected individual is tested by the Chaplain for his worthiness then when without a doubt that he is of sufficent physical prowess and has spirital forititude, his mind is 'accessed' psychically by a Librarian and a overwhealming desire to make the pilgrimage to Holy Terra is planted there. Once this occures the recruit without concious knowledge will do everything in his power to make it to Holy Terra and complete this most holy of trials. After this happens the iniating Chaplain and Libarian venture forth to Holy Terra to await the recruit. If he makes it there in a predeturmed time he is judged worthy to be iniated into the chapter. Then the real training begins. The thinking behind this is that if his desire to make his way there can overcome any obstical, then he must be the 'right stuff' to become a Space Marine. Of the many hundreds that attempt this very few succeded but this is offset by its continual practice so there usually is a healthy scout company and a large pool of avaliable recruits attempting this pilgramiage.

On the World of Scanthax IV, a world that produices a more then average amount of recruits for the Chapter, this team encountered something that has never been seen before. A pair of Brothers both seemed to make the cut accoreding to the chaplain. Altho the fact that they where brothers did not become known until after there medical scans where sent back to the Strike Cruiser " His Divine Message" the cruiser of the 5th Company. Once this was found out they decided to let this expirament continue more to see what would happen to them along the way. Many trials and tribulations occured on the long trek to Holy Terra but they are recored elsewhere in the Chapters History. As they both made it they where inducted into the Chapter and proved to be some of the most insperational marines in there scout unit. It was wispered that something happened on there pilgrmiage to Holy Terra that gave them a unusually iron-clad faith in the right of the Emperor and his Divine message that all the Marines in the Chapter live by. They where tagged for great things in the future and this came to pass as they both where found pious and devoted enough to be selected to become iniates in the cult of the Cortana Chaplaincy.

Ever sence that day they have been a paragon of virtue and there names are sinonimous with devotion to both the words of the Immortal God Emperor and the teniates of the Chapter.
    FluffMaster on a mission to turn people to the Sisters of battle, yes folks it's all about SoB squads in Repressors with lots of flamer templates for the win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not make them twin brothers because some twins who were seperated at birth have erie similarities like the first car they owned or both beein good at baseball.
    maby a psycher bond between them and them only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Menace View Post
    why not make them twin brothers because some twins who were seperated at birth have erie similarities like the first car they owned or both beein good at baseball.
    maby a psycher bond between them and them only
    Small issue here. My fluff skill is weak, since I'm new to the hobby. But I was pretty certain the function of a Chaplain besides 'morale' and 'exhorting the troops to their duty' was to keep an eye on a chapter's psykers. If the chaplain is a psyker himself, he'd be a librarian.

And it wouldn't slip by, not with the level of training and scrutiny that the average recruit supposedly goes through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chaplains of the Adeptus Astares DO tend to the spiritual well-being of the chapter, psycher monitoring included. As mentioned, if either of them were Psychers, in all probibility, they'd enter the chapter as librarian trainees. I've not heard anything about standard battle brothers having psychic powers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

The Chaplains tend to the spiritual well-being of the chapter but it's the job of the Librarium to monitor any psykers.

If a Space Marine displays even so much as a hint of psychic powers, they'd immediately be under scrutiny because usually these powers manifest themselves at a very young age and it could be a sign that the Marine is (a) posessed or (b) corrupted. However, all Neophytes are screened by the chapter's Librarium during their training to see whether they have psychic potential and if it is found, they are subjected to ruthless tests in order to prove their mental purity and strength. Then, if these tests are finally passed, they are removed from the normal progression of ranks and automatically become Librarians, starting as a Lexicanum (the Librarian equivalent of a Tactical Marine, I suppose) and eventually, as their powers develop, they can progress to Codiciers and finally, Epistolaries. Basically, if a Space Marine is found to have psychic powers he will never have a chance at being a "normal" Space Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if the two brothers had a psychic link, such as sensing when the other is in peril, or pain, and while this ability was noticed in training, the librarians deemed this power quite useless, and after much (unpleasant) testing, it was deemed that this small power was of no threat to them or the brothers (no chance of attracting the warp, or becoming corrupted).

However, because of this, the brothers weren't fully trusted, so it made the two of them try even harder to prove themselves worthy, taking every selfless risk to show their chapter that they were willing to die for the glory of the emperor, blah blah blah, and because of this extra determination of the two brothers, it lead to them becoming Chaplains.
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

If an empathic link exists between the two brothers, logically, it's psychic in nature. As a general, anything that is psychic in nature is connected to the Warp and, thus, is a potential target for daemonic possession. Heck, even Eldar Wraithbone could be possessed by daemons, which is one of their worst fears as it would give them direct access to the Infinity Circuit. Even if there was no chance of possession whatsoever, the Imperium is notorious for its paranoia regarding any sort of psychic power and so the two brothers would be closely monitored for signs of corruption, especially if they both became Chaplains because an empathic link would mean that if one of them fell to Chaos, the other would likely follow them.

+ Reply to Thread