Chaos C'tan? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chaos C'tan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos C'tan?

Is it possible to make a chapter of chaos/traitors that worship the Nightbringer (god of death). I'm not a fan of nurgle. I want a more skeletoids and desolate feel to my army. I want to start writing some fluff but I'm not sure if this flows with the mythos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Nope..

The C'tan loathe the warp, they hate chaos, and they don't really like living things. Chaos marines tick all of these boxes.. making them pretty unlikely to earn any notice from a C'tan except as a light snack.

Just bear in mind that not all nurgle's minions have to be festering and bloated, at least, not on the outside. Also, I guess you could do a necron-ish chapter, perhaps with bio-mechanical bits to keep them in line. But the C'tan don't have any use or need for worship.. they want drone servants to harvest food for them, not followers with personality.

They also aren't really gods.. so the nightbringer doesn't really have anything to do with death. It's better to think of them as hugely powerful ancient aliens with slightly wierd personalities, The nightbringer likes to kill.. but this doesn't make it the god of death.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; December 1st, 2006 at 09:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww... too bad. I have alot of extra warrior spruces and I had a rad idea for a nightbringer/daemon prince conversion.

I mostly wanted a skeleton themed army that was undivided, however, a skeleton themed army is going to be seen as Nurgle. Meh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

You can still do skeletons. If you're playing Nurgle rules and don't want the festering boils, you can invent Chaos raider fluff about a warband that worships death and mortification, resulting in a very grim and psychopathic form of systematic genocide. Khorne happens to sit on a throne made of skulls, Tzeentch can certainly be linked to skeletons in some way (as the aspect of fate and the inevitable downfall of Mankind, maybe to the humanist idea of mortality/fatalism) so the only Chaos god it can't be clearly connected to is Slaanesh.

You can certainly do skulls and skeletons. Maybe your Marines were cursed with a flesh-wasting diseased like the Legion of the Damned, resulting in their bodies being reduced to skin and bone but retaining a terrible, warp-spawned strength and resilience besides.

With modelling options, nothing is really stopping you. Modelling is a significant portion of the Warhammer creative process, and we don't want silly things like "Chaos can't have walking skeletons, only Necrons do that" getting in the way of some really cool looking Marines.

Side note: Nurgle isn't really the god of death. He's the god of fear of death, and the looming prospect of one's mortality, which is a different thing altogether. Note that many of Nurgle's servants are so rotted with disease they should be dead - but walk still, under the shadow of an eventual decay. There isn't a Chaos god of death. If there was any, it would be Malar, who doesn't technically exist, despite being the greatest idea ever.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

I agree.. there's nothing to say you can't do a skeletally themed chaos chapter. We have the legion of the damned, who are supposed to be loyalists, so chaos marines are ripe for some boniness.

The best prospects I think are Nurgle, Tzeentch and Chaos undivided.. Nurgle is the god of entropy, decay and death, his minions are already the 'undead' of 40k (except the necrons, of course, who are more robots.) I wouldn't say they have to look like zombies.. skeletons are decaying too.

Tzeentch is a wierd choice.. but rubric marines fall pretty close to the idea of the shambling undead, and the egyptian theme they have ties in with the imagery of mummies and lost tombs. Hmm.. maybe your chapter was once a loyalist chapter dedicated to mystical knowledge and with an extensive librarium, but one of the librarians delved into forbidden magical knowledge and wound up accidentally trapping the chapter in a state between life and death.. Cursed as they are, they have no choice but to swear allegience to the lord of change in the hope that he will grant the knowledge to reverse the spell.

As for chaos undivided.. well.. imagine if the legion of the damned had been slightly more warped by the chaos virus consuming them. Again, they would be cursed.. trapped partially between the physical world and the warp and saturated with deathly energies. I can see them looiking quite skeletal.

If there was any, it would be Malar, who doesn't technically exist, despite being the greatest idea ever.
    Personally.. I read Malal as the god of hatred, but there was never that much info on him so we can't really say.

+ Reply to Thread