External necron fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

External necron fluff

Hey I was thinking about the prerequisites (sp?) for games day, and I started re-reading all the fluff that I had, my codex and what's in the rule book. and then it dawned on me;

THERE'S GOT TO BE MORE FLUFF THAN THIS!!!

So I look at wiki, there's alot of stuff that's copied right out of the 'dex. I guess what I'm aiming at is, where can I find lots of necron fluff so I can write a decent background for my army? Please keep in mind that I'm using Immortals if that will help with the fluff.

Many thanks in advance.

|T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I hate to say it, but I think you picked the wrong army.

Necrons don't have a huge ammount of personality. The lords seem to have some remaining, but mostly it's just 'kill all humans!'

Hmm.. Maybe your lord was a high priest of the C'tan prior to his transformation, which is why he has been gifted with many elite servants. Of course.. in current terms it makes little difference.. he's still a souless robot, but maybe there's a twinge of religious faith down there.. Or perhaps the vague, dull hints of rebellion and anger at what's been done to him, eclipsed by the need to spend eternity serving his Gods.

Yeah.. you could write some decent enough fluff, but at the end of the day, it's going to be a tradgedy about a group of short lived little aliens who were tricked into selling their souls to something monstrously evil, and now spend eternity paying the price. There's a timelessness in that, but not much room for originality I'm afraid.

Alternatively, write about them from the point of view of their enemies.. This will probably be a kind of survival horror story with lots of shambling metal zombies and lightning fast wraiths which suddenly leap out of the shadows and impale random people. Nice.

Or you can try something slightly more risky (but it worked in Dark Crusade and Xenology, for example) and try and write from the perspective of the Necrons themselves. It's tough, because they don't have much personality, but it can be done effectively.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; December 5th, 2006 at 03:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

The lord and the immortal will have very very dim recollections of what it was like to live.

If you were to create a story about them, then it would be very desolate, very gritty, and quite philosophical. a bit like 'the thin red line'. Interesting film. Long film.

You could take a more pragmatic approach and see how your Necrons fit in with the galaxy around them, which C'tan do they serve? Are they after a particular race? Are they attempting to harvest more psykers or nulls? That type of thing.

You could do their story from the reports of their surviving enemy. Scout reports on what's left of a necron attack, or an eyewitness account from a survivor.

Remember, it's not butcher humans, it's 'kill the living'. Eldar, Tau, Orks, Humans, are all fair game.

One thing, angsting and emoting necrons, as Mantis wisely pointed out, will suck royally. It'd be like giving Gaunts personality or something.

The terror and appeal of necrons is precisely because they're like T-101 terminators. They're unrelenting, and they kill silently.

They also break dance to boogie wonderland in the monolith too, but most people don't want to acknowledge that.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah I'm thinking about writing it report style, like with a planet that is known in the imperium about and have the necrons decimate whoever they go up against.

By report style, I mean like what they have in the codex, or in third person.

Also dates and the positioning data are confusing for me, like how they determine the series of letters and numbers.
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

The dates are easy..

M is short for millenium.. So 'M.41' is the 41st Millenium (40,000-41,000 CE.)

The subsequent number is the year within that millenium. So 'M.41 954' is the 954th year of the 41st Millenium (40,954 CE)

Positioning data is harder.. I'd say just go with random numbers, noone will notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

This is a quite intresting text from the Necron's perspective. Don't know if you have seen it (it's their final Medusa V-report).

Games Workshop - Medusa V - Warhammer 40,000

Might be of some help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

The full set of info about dates is in the back of the 3rd edition rulebook. The order is:

Check number, year fraction number, year number. millennium

The check number is how far away from earth the message was sent, and thus how reliable the transmissions are. The lower the number, the closer to earth it is. 0 refers to communication within the Solar System, 1 to a direct psychic link to Terra from outside it, and beyond that it gets very tied up with qualities of sources, and whether or not it can be "corroborated". 9 is the highest, and refers to a communication of unknown location, and so the accuracy of the date given cannot be confirmed.

Year fraction number is 3 digits long. As is the year number. The millennium number, always prefixed by M, is I hope self-explanatory.

For example, today (5th December 2006) would be 0929006.M3.

0 because it has a reference point within the solar system.

I got the year fraction by getting the year number out of 365 (339), finding out what fraction of 1,000 365 was (2.73) and multiplying the two together to get the end number of 929.

It's year 006, discounting the millennium.

And it's the 3rd millennium at the moment. Job done!

+ Reply to Thread