Need advice on creating background fluff for my SoB - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice on creating background fluff for my SoB

Hey Fellas,
    My current project is Witch Hunter / Daemon Hunter armies. I'm currently in the midst of writing fluff for them. As it stands, i have basic note points detailing their background and current situation. I've just got some questions i'd like to ask you lot before I start writing a backstory for them.
    Firstly, here is a basic rundown of my fluff.

• Sister covenant garrisoned in a cathedral on a Hive/Forge world
    • Through explorations of the bowels of their ancient cathedral, the sisters discover a hidden catacomb.
    • They find an artifact of great importance. It could be very dangerous / useful to the Imperium
    • The Inquisition moves in to contain the artifact and to study it/keep it from traitors and heretics
    • The Radical Inquisitor studying the artifact senses a strange psykic energy emanating from the artifact.
    • Contact with the psyker triggers the artifact to somehow open up a small tear/hole in the warp. The artifact starts spewing forth daemons.
    • Sisters and the Inquisition try to contain the artifact and daemons. If they break free of the cathedral, the billions of people living on the hive world will be in danger.
    • The inhabitants of the Hiveworld cannot know about the danger, as this will cause panic and rebellion in an already semi-hostile population
    • Daemonhunters are called in to help contain the threat
    • Inquisitor is convinced that the artifact could be of great importance to the Imperium, so wishes to contain the threat, find a way to close the tear in the warp, and study the object.
    • The Eldar somehow find out about the artifact, and launch covert raids on the cathedral. They aim is to close the hole in the warp, and destroy the artifact.
    • The joint forces of the Sisters, Grey Knights, Inquisition and Imperial Guard turn the massive cathedral into a heavily fortified bunker. Defending from both the bowels of the catacombs and the outside
    • They must hold the cathedral until the Inquisitor and his attendant staff can find a way to shut the tear in the warp, and control the artifact.

The armies i'll be building are, a pretty standard witchhunter army, a daemonhunter army with 2 platoons of guard and leman russ, and eventually when the Ordos Xenos comes out, them as well. I'll be using the guard as a mix and match inducted section to start with, but will probably create a full force later on.

Ok, now heres where i'd like your opinion
    • What do you think of the general background idea?
    • Could you suggest names for my Cannoness, Inquisitor, Grey Knight Hero, and Guard Section Officer?
    • What do you think the artifact could be? I'm thinking an orb, or a crystal of some sort. I'm also planning to name this as well, depending on what it is.
    • Do you have any ideas on which planet this could be based on? It should be of some importance, but not a "key" planet (Mars for example). A pretty standard hive world, or forgeworld
    • The fiction piece i'm planning to write, i think, will be a sort of "report" by a member of the inquisition. (possibly the Inquisitor himself, or one of his staff). Do you have any ideas about how i could set this out? What should the scene/setting be?
    • Are there any holes in the fluff? Any glaring ommisions or implausibilities?

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance.

Last edited by Jakman; December 8th, 2006 at 03:36. Reason: Formatting Issues
    If you look down on me, you see a fool.
    If you look up at me, you see a god.
    If you look me straight in the eye, you see yourself.
    - Charles Manson

Cheers,
    JaK

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about the format ... trying to fix it now.

EDIT: Fixed
    Last edited by Jakman; December 8th, 2006 at 03:36.
    - Charles Manson

Cheers,
    JaK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I'm not sure you can ally all those forces at once.. wow.. it's a pretty impressive project anyway.

Firstly, why the Eldar? I'm not sure if there's any significance about the Eldar in this case or whether you'd need to use them over any other army. But it just seems a bit wierd that they're assaulting a heavily fortified catherdral with grey knights in it to save a human hive city.

This is a personal opinion, but maybe the artifact could corrupt or whisper to nearby PDF regiments or underhive mutants, whipping them into a frenzied horde. That just seems more likely, and also more fun, than using eldar. You can have the impossible numbers feel, wheras with eldar it would all be a bit even.

For names.. pick a nationality and do a websearch for <country X> names. Persian, Greek and Roman names are particularly great for 40k I've found.

Artifact names.. hmm..

'Abyssal Key' - A key to the abyss (warp,) naturally.
    'Astral Key' - Same as above, but with a rather more positive inflection.
    'Theurgic Orb' - Theurgy = magic granted by God. In this case the chaos gods.

Or any combination of the above words strung together.

I'm too tired to come up with anything else.. looks like a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a great idea about the atrifact "whispering" to the mutants and such. That would work a lot better than the Eldar. One reason i chose the Eldar and Chaos as my adverseries is, they are 2 of my most regular opponents. I think my reasoning behind the Eldar wanting to destroy it, is that the Imperial forces would try to harness its power, releasing even more Chaos into the Universe, which they would obviously want to stop.

I can have allied DH and WH as far as i know. But the way i'll be working it is this.
    • Witch Hunter force, with Inquisitorial units and Sisters
    • Daemon hunter force, with Grey Knights and Inducted Guard (2 platoons and a leman russ)
    • Xenos Hunter force when the codex arrives.
    These 3 armies will be stand alone armies. Probably 2000pts each. But i will have the option of swapping units in and out for a bit of variety. I do look forward to some sort of mega battle, in which i could field the whole contingent.

Fluff wise, the forces would fit in like this ... Sisters take care of the general defense of the Cathedral, patroling, figting room to room with flamers and such. Grey Knights would focus on the chamber the artifact is held in, keeping the daemons at bay, stopping them from reaching the rest of the complex. Guard would defend the outer walls from attacks from the (once Eldar) chaotically influenced PDF and mutants.

My in game forces will be designed around play, rather than fluff, so may not work 100% with the background. But basically they will. This is what i plan to field.

Witch Hunters
    HQ
    Cannoness
    Inquisitor Lord (cheap)
    Priest

ELITE
    Arco - flaggelants
    Celestians (possibly)

TROOP
    3x Rhino Mounted Sister Squads (mix of flamers and meltas)
    1x Chimera Mounted Storm Trooper squad

FAST
    Seraphim
    Flamer Dominions in Immolator (possibly)

HEAVY
    1x Retributor Squad with Hvy Bolters
    2x Exorcists

Daemon Hunters

HQ
    Grey Knight Hero
    Inquisitor Lord (cheap, same as WH)

ELITE
    Grey Knight Terminators (deep striking)

TROOP
    2x IG Platoons (grenade lauchers, auto cannons, missle launchers)

FAST
    2x Grey Knight Squads (deepstriking)

HEAVY
    2x Dreanaughts (twin linked las, missle launcher)
    Leman Russ Battle Tank (3 Hvy Bolters)

NOTE: i'm changing the Eldar to corrupt PDF and mutants (lost and the damned). Thanks for that one Mantis!
    - Charles Manson

Cheers,
    JaK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

It's nice, but it all seems a little self-contained. A warp rift being contained underground while the forces wait the months, possibly years, for Grey Knights to show up? It seems a bit implausible, unless you allow that the population finds out about the dæmons/is affected by them in some way.

+ Reply to Thread