Librarium Online Forums banner

Tau are led by Genestealers

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Visitor Q 
#1 ·
Don't know if this has been posted. Ever notice that the new ethereal looks just like the old Genestealer Magus? The greater good appears to be the hive mind.

#2 · (Edited)
Not really..the old magus was just a short little human with a big head...these are tau...they have no noses and funny slit thingies on their foreheads...

and they are blue...

Although, in idealolgy, they are similar...the Tau would die for the ethereals, but if they die, the tau panick...reminds me of magus and his 'brood-buddies'.

I doubt that the entire Tau race is infested with genestealers though...

-The God of all Machines

#3 ·
Hey! Eldrad's spear looks like a Bedlam Staff! Eldrad is working for Tzeentch!!!11!

:p We need a bit more evidence to work on than similarities between two very distant models. The fact that the Ethereals also lack four arms and any psychic ability at all should shut the discussion down right now.

#4 ·
Existing fluff contradicts that. Specifically, the first Ciaphas Cain novel, which involves both the Tau and a Genestealer cult, and the potential infection of the Tau with a Genestealer cult by a certain Ordo Xenos inquisitor...

... anyway, Necron influence (the Deciever, specifically) is far more likely in Ethereals, assuming they didn't develop on their own. There is a specific bit of fluff in the Necron codex involving a dead race which was spurred on to metaspiritual enlightenment (and technological stagnation) by The Deciever. The story is very similar to what seems to have happened with the Tau.

#5 · (Edited)
I've always had my doubts about the 'necron theory' of Tau development myself..

1. The C'tan don't need another slave race, especially not a meaty, annoying, preachy one. If they found a bunch of stone-age blue cow people, I think they'd be more likely to eat them than give them uber pheremone leaders and guide them.
2. The Tau don't have 'no warp presence.' They have a meagre presence which doesn't allow them to develop psychic powers. That seems far more natural than designed.
3. The developing Tau were shielded by 'coincidental' warp storms which cropped up just as a fleet set out to exterminate them, and remained while their accelarated development took place. That's not something the C'tan can really arrange.

Yes, there's a lot of evidence of wierd stuff in the Tau development, but the Necrons? Hmm.. It just doesn't fit. I think too many people are trying too hard to fit everything into some jumbo metaplot where the whole game is just a big battle between the C'tan and the Old Ones.

Then again I don't like the necron fluff.. They could have just scrawled "ZOMFG! T3h C'tan pwn J00 with t3h cannon!" on every page and it would have been about the same effect.

#6 ·
Please note, I said there is more evidence linking the Necrons to the Tau then the Tyranids, not that the Tau have been directly influenced by the C'Tan.

1. The C'tan don't need another slave race, especially not a meaty, annoying, preachy one. If they found a bunch of stone-age blue cow people, I think they'd be more likely to eat them than give them uber pheremone leaders and guide them.
In short... the C'Tan view every race as a slave race... and you can never have too many slaves. The Tau are perfectly suited to life in a Necron-dominated Galaxy. They're intelligent, they don't live long, and they don't venerate an already-existing psychic presence. They aspire to be "cogs in the machine", and are also relatively free of the Warp, which implies that they weren't created by the old ones and are thus exactly the kind of race the C'Tan had hoped would be in power when they returned.

2. The Tau don't have 'no warp presence.' They have a meagre presence which doesn't allow them to develop psychic powers. That seems far more natural than designed.
And is perfectly suited to the purposes C'Tan, which infected humanity with the Pariah gene.

3. The developing Tau were shielded by 'coincidental' warp storms which cropped up just as a fleet set out to exterminate them, and remained while their accelarated development took place. That's not something the C'tan can really arrange.
"Warp Storms", meaning every ship that set out towards their general area was destroyed. It probably only took the loss of a single ship to get the Imperium to decide "Hm, we should go around this area of space for a while" and sparked no more scrutiny than that.

Yes, there's a lot of evidence of wierd stuff in the Tau development, but the Necrons? Hmm.. It just doesn't fit.
The Deceiver works in mysterious ways. I'd give you page numbers for the fluff in question, but I don't have my Necron codex with me.

Then again I don't like the necron fluff.. They could have just scrawled "ZOMFG! T3h C'tan pwn J00 with t3h cannon!" on every page and it would have been about the same effect.
Some of it's very good. Yeah, the Adeptus Mechanicus stuff is irritating, and so are the sections with the Black Templar; but it's really no different from the "IG face Tyranids and die" sections that make up the bulk of the text in the Tyranids codex. When a race has a perspective that's so completely alien you can't write from their perspective, the only option is to write from the perspective of someone else, which creates the ultimate in an untrustworthy narrator... because if you can't get into the mind of a race, what chance does Joe Guardsman have while staring down the barrel of a Gauss flayer?

#9 ·
Similarites, huh? ok... how about this...

The Khorne head gear and the Tzeench head gear look similar (the ear/ flappy thingys. Seriously, what are those things and what do they do?). Hence the Khorne and Tzeench gods are the same being?

Or how about the grey knight terminator helmet looking very iron warrior-ish? And they are both metalic/ silver in colour scheme. Maybe the =][= is lead by chaos?

#10 ·
If I could offer a bit of another idea in a wild bit of thread necromancy.

If the Tau are not naturally occuring beings, I would suggest that they are being aided by Tzeentch - indirectly, of course.

My reasoning is thus;

Warp Storms are rips in the skein between real-space and the Empyrean. While they often pop up absolutely randomly all over the place, their positioning around T'au right when the Imperial fleet was about to destroy them is far too coincidental for me to believe that it was natural. As the Chaos Gods are considered as almost omnipotent, the creation of such storms (and the removal of these storms) is not entirely out of their reach, especially not out of the reach of a God whose very purpose is to mess with everything he can get his tentacles on. I propose that the Chaos God Tzeentch caused the creation of the Warp Storm that saved T'au from the Imperium and kept it isolated from other races.

The Tau were a band of savages bent on destroying each other until a sudden, new caste came along. Where did this caste come from? How did these pheremone-wielding diplomats develop so rapidly and so conveniently to keep the race from destroying itself after narrowly escaping destruction at the Imperium's hands? Tzeentch is known for rampant mutations, though, admittedly, the majority of his "gifts" are uncontrolled, grotesque, and many times fairly useless or detrimental. Tzeentch could not be called a god if he could not control the form his own mutations take, however. I propose the Ethereals came about because of a sudden strong mutation that Tzeentch caused himself.

The Tau have advanced in technology at such an alarming pace as to be almost completely unbelievable. Either they are a naturally brilliant race, or somebody has been stealing fire from Olympus, so to speak. Tzeentch is the Chaos God most associated with knowledge and the search of it. I propose that Tzeentch is behind the Tau's remarkable advancement in their technology and society, somehow leaking secrets of technology to their scientists or aiding in their research.

The main thing about Tzeentch is, as the Changer of Ways, he is innately unfathomable. His interested include reading the distant paths and infinate multitudes of futures available for the Universe and the Warp. Arguably, while Tzeentch does not have a clear and present motive for aiding the Tau in such a way, especially with no obvious benefit to himself, there is also no reason to believe that Tzeentch does NOT have some benefit to gain from the Tau becoming powerful. Perhaps Tzeentch has decided that the Imperium of Man being such a powerful player has been a bit too... permanent? Maybe a change is needed? What better way to add insult to injury than to ensure that the Imperium of Man is dealt massive crushing blows in the future by a race it currently disregards as too puny and worthless to deal with? Granted, Tau civilization is a little too structured and the race a little too "pure" to warrent belief that a Chaos god is meddling in their growth, but, then again, this IS Tzeentch. That's really all the explanation one needs. I propose that Tzeentch has some benefit to gain from the furthering of Tau civilization, whether it is to upset the current Galactic balance for the sake of change or for some other ulterior, hidden motive that only the God of Eternal Change would know.

I've heard so many people talk about the Tau being under the sway of the Necrons, but, even with their miniscule warp presence (and they still have a presence, and thus are not COMPLETELY ignored by Warp entities) they could still prove to have some use to the most indirect of the Chaos Gods. If they are indeed an unnatural occurance, I believe Tzeentch is the most likely culprit for their rapid advancement. As said before, I feel Tzeentch at least has one thing to gain from the Tau becoming a major player in the Galaxy, if just to hurt the Imperium's pride and have bragging rights to the rest of the Gods for it. I know Khorne, especially, would be furious that Tzeentch's underhanded ways may have caused more damage in Real-Space than his own non-strategy of brute force.

#11 · (Edited)
Tzeentch as the puppet master behind a conspiracy is a classic because as well as being the master of convoluted plots it is perfectly possible that he is acting to the apparent detriment of himself (its all part of the grand plan see....)

You can use him to trump everything, ah but actually the C'tan are being manipulated by Tzeentch, ah but actually Tzeentch wants the Tyranids to destroy everything, ah but actually Tzeentch wants the Black Crusades to fail ah but actually the Star Child is a Tzeentch plot ah but actually etc etc.

Its just another plot device that allows GW to pull out a deus ex machina card if need be.

You know I think possibly the only cliched plot device GW hasn't used is the classic good guy dies then comes back to life as a bad guy, then has a sudden change of heart and becomes a good guy again, and his former compartriots are cool with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.