banishing daemons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

banishing daemons

In the grey knight fluff/ stories I've read they daemons that are defeated are banished for XXX number of years. Is there a reason why it's XXX number of years? Would it be possible for the daemon to find a way out of the warp before XXX is over? Or is it like a red card and they have to sit out for the rest of the game? And if that's the case, if I was a daemon I don't think I would wait because someone in shiny armor told me to stay put.

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

IIRC, its not that the given daemon is waiting because it has been told to but rather is waiting because its strength and form in the material world has been disrupted and or shattered to the point where it must wait that given time before it will be strong enough to re-enter our realm. (Since daemons and warp beings must use some of their energy or power to remain anchored to this realm without a host body.)

As for why its that amount of time, there are several reasons; I'm gonna try saying that one of them is due to the strength of the one that banishes the daemon. (From whichever thing the banisher must draw strength from to banish a daemon; I'm no ordo malleus player, I don't really dabble in that stuff.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The real reason is that a daemon has to recuperate to the point where it can manifest again; as long as a mortal believes in that particular daemon or its aspect, it never really dies. But the more powerful it is, the longer its "time out" period last for; logically, it has more mass and power to regenerate, so it takes longer. I imagine they could be torn out and bound (á la Daemonhosts, as with Cherubael) but their power would be weakened, most notably because they'd be under someone else's thumb.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Just to expand on this question.

Say, when my guardsmen shoot some Bloodletters dead on the tabletop, does this literally kill the Bloodletters? Or are they merely banished to the warp where they can recuperate before plagueing the mortal world once again.

Also, is it posible to resummon the same daemons? i.e. For whatever reasons, could a Chaos sorcerer continually resummon a bloodletter called Drach'nyen and his cronies?

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say, when my guardsmen shoot some Bloodletters dead on the tabletop, does this literally kill the Bloodletters? Or are they merely banished to the warp where they can recuperate before plagueing the mortal world once again.
    Well, I can't really imagine Bloodletters getting hurt by lasguns, but I'm guessing they are banished. After all, daemons can't truly be killed. Not even the Emperor can do that.

Tokyo 3, wrecking your buildings and killing your "dudes". No, actually, the Netherlands...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, the Emperor can warpnuke demons to death. He's just... err... busy, being crazy and lazy...

The Emperor is at least equally the strength of the Chaos Gods. If I'm correct, he's stronger than Nurgle, Khorne, Slaanesh and Tzeetch together...

But, currently, the Emperor is asleep, no, in coma, on the verge of death, schizoprenic, and probably crazy. So, well, he won't do a thing.

Open your mind, for the forbidden, unholy and dreadful knowledge of a Fluff Master...

Phobovores - Forever lost in all eternity...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TehDarkPredator View Post
    The Emperor is at least equally the strength of the Chaos Gods. If I'm correct, he's stronger than Nurgle, Khorne, Slaanesh and Tzeetch together...
    That's an unfair comparison.. they live in different worlds. The only time they ever fought was in the Emperor's world, where the power of the gods is hugely weakened.

The implication is that the Emperor could have killed them if he had killed horus while they were possessing him, but he wasn't going to manage that one. They pulled out before horus died. There's no evidence the Emperor could kill the gods in the warp itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwithin
    I'm not sure about 'lesser' daemons. If you think about it, they're already so weak that they might not survive banishment.

However, they're being born constantly.. The daemons of the warp are infinate. So in any case, your guardsmen have made a tiny dent in a numberless army of daemons waiting beyond the edge of the world. ;P

Tokyo 3, wrecking your buildings and killing your "dudes". No, actually, the Netherlands...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    That's an unfair comparison.. they live in different worlds. The only time they ever fought was in the Emperor's world, where the power of the gods is hugely weakened.

The implication is that the Emperor could have killed them if he had killed horus while they were possessing him, but he wasn't going to manage that one. They pulled out before horus died. There's no evidence the Emperor could kill the gods in the warp itself.
    I was talking about an Emperor, that is all awake, and fixed, and has had a big meal at Fenris... or in the form of the Starchild(but that is unofficial).

Surely, a Emperor that is fully healed, or has become a warp deity could take on the Chaos gods? Maybe set them up against each other?

And think of the might of an awoken Emperor guiding the Emperium again?(Maybe getting some Primarchs back...). I'm avoiding the political difficulties of the Emperor awakening.

Open your mind, for the forbidden, unholy and dreadful knowledge of a Fluff Master...

Phobovores - Forever lost in all eternity...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TehDarkPredator View Post
    I was talking about an Emperor, that is all awake, and fixed, and has had a big meal at Fenris... or in the form of the Starchild(but that is unofficial).

Surely, a Emperor that is fully healed, or has become a warp deity could take on the Chaos gods? Maybe set them up against each other?
    Well.. he didn't manage to do anything to them back in the days of the Great Crusade, did he? Despite the fact that they were being really annoying and messing up his kids and so forth.

The fact is, the Emperor was (roughly) human, he had a physical body, he couldn't enter the warp, and he never tried to take on the chaos gods. I think that's pretty good evidence that it wasn't possible for him to kill them.

Sure.. if he became a warp entity he might be able to do something.. But there's no evidence he ever will. As said, he's roughly human, and humans only survive in the warp as long as they have a physical body.. once the body is gone, they fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Of Man View Post
    Just to expand on this question.

Also, is it posible to resummon the same daemons? i.e. For whatever reasons, could a Chaos sorcerer continually resummon a bloodletter called Drach'nyen and his cronies?
    Technically (fluffwise) they wouldn't even effect them, only trained daemonhunters (and/or BIG MOFO bombs, i.e. exterminatus) could get rid of them, hence the importance of the Ordo Malleus and the grey knights.

and on an off note, I think that daemons can be banished from anywhere between 100 years and a day, to 1000 years and a day (very strange....).

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast