Geeneseed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geeneseed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geeneseed?

Hi, this might be a bit of a noob question but I know very little about space marines, most of the fluff I know is ork fluff, anyway what are Geeneseeds for? I know all space marines have one and it what makes them space marines, but what dose it do to make them space marines? And why do they take it out of dead space marines?

Fast is the only way to be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Motbit View Post
    Hi, this might be a bit of a noob question but I know very little about space marines, most of the fluff I know is ork fluff, anyway what are Geeneseeds for? I know all space marines have one and it what makes them space marines, but what dose it do to make them space marines? And why do they take it out of dead space marines?
    In my understanding, geneseed is the term for the materials used to grow the implanted organs that make a space marine a space marine. They take the geneseed back on death, presumably because they've got a limited amount of it. Its almost like the geneseed inherently makes the organs function. 40ks got that mystical-medical thing going for in that regard, and given the effect on folks like the blood angels...

Some geneseed is 'defective' which means over the years some organs just don't work anymore. The Imperial Fists in particular, they've got non-functional sus-an membranes and betcher's glands, which means they can't hibernate or spit acid, neither can any of their successor chapters.

Some later chapters have defective geneseed. I think the black dragons have a defective osmodula, but I'm not sure if thats the right implant (the increased bone growth one).

The geneseed also represents the marine's honor, sort of like the spurs on a knight. Its also what ties him to the chapter and makes him a brother of his battle brothers and a 'son' of the primarch, and thus a descendant of the Emperor. Losing it is like losing a bit of the primarch. Its why Tyrant guard piss off Marines so much, since thats tyranidified space marine geneseed.

In short. Geneseed is used to produce the implants. Implants make the marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the space marines were nearly perfect before the before the days of "horus" and after that the chapter were split and no longer maintained the pure geneseed in which all traits remained intact and since all SM are eccentialy clones eventualy the pattern breaks down and becomes useless without fresh genes which pollute the gene pool and thus the geneseed breaks down over time.

if i recall the ultramarines have one the the most intact geneseeds
    In the name of god impure souls of the living dead shal be banished into eturnal damnation. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Here is pretty much everything that the geneseed does, what it is, and even when different parts are implanted: Creation of a Space Marine

The article is over several pages, but it will pretty much answer all questions on it, except some of the ones like why do space marines need to learn skills by eating animals or why they can't just grow the progenoids in tanks or something so that they don't need to salvage them all from dead marines.
    Last edited by Warrior47; December 13th, 2006 at 05:45.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

+ Reply to Thread