Space Wolves army idea, need fluff assistance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolves army idea, need fluff assistance

I've been tinkering with the idea of a Space Wolves army for a while, as I;ve always loved them, the look of the minis, the playstyle and the fluff. However, there is a ctach, in that I really am not looking forward to painting nay more Space Wolves grey (dominant colour in my Eldar.). I'm wondering about devising my own scheme, based on that of the Grey Knights (just picture the osns of Leman Russ in silver and red...), but obviously that wouldn't fit in too well with the fluff. I then hit on the idea of a SW successor chapter, but rembered hearing somwhere that Space Wolf geneseed was declared "unstable", and only one successor chapter, the Wolf Brothers, was created. So, my questions are thus:

1.) How much fluff is there on the Wolf Brothers, what fluff is there and where can I find out more about them?

2.) Do Wolf Brothers have an official scheme?

3.) If it turns out that I can't do Wolf Brothers, is it fluffily plausible to create another successor chapter?

4.) If no to 3.), how else could I pull this army off and still be fluffy?

Much obliged,
    BL

"You're very interesting, and very perceptive. So interesting, and so perceptive, in fact, that we shall now fight with KNIVES!"
    -Moltar

"I've been dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long before you'll be dead!"
    -Space Ghost

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

I can't answer all your questions completely except to say that IIRC, the Wolf Brothers are no more.

To help you you in your endeavor to paint something different, turn to the 13th Company color scheme(found in Eye of Terror) for your SWs. The 13th Co. uses a darker, more grey color than the "powder blue" seen on most SWs. I'm not recommending a 13th Co. army, just the color scheme.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Librarian View Post
    1.) How much fluff is there on the Wolf Brothers, what fluff is there and where can I find out more about them?
    Not a lot, beyond the fact that they died out fairly quickly, I think due to the Canis Helix getting increasingly unstable for unspecified reasons. Your best bet for fluff on them would be the Index Astartes article on the Space Wolves. In canon fluff they no longer exist, but "historical" battles aren't exactly a problem in 40K.

2.) Do Wolf Brothers have an official scheme?
    No.

3.) If it turns out that I can't do Wolf Brothers, is it fluffily plausible to create another successor chapter?
    I don't think so, as the Wolf Brothers are stated as the only SW successors. If there are any other sources about this, I haven't seen them.

4.) If no to 3.), how else could I pull this army off and still be fluffy?
    Dark/Cursed Foundings (13th/21st). All records of the 13th have been lost, and many of the 21st chapters have severe defects. The 21st was also the largest founding since the 2nd, so lots of scope for new chapters there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another alternative is to fixate on the terminology involved when talking about the successors of the Space Wolves - "no known successors". (emphasis mine) GW has stated (in not exactly these words) that the Imperium is so large, so old, and has lost so much technology that the right hand frequently doesn't know what the left hand is doing and that much information has been lost. It is possible that there are a few SW successors that the records are incomplete for. While this is not a hugely plausible hook, it does work if you're only looking for minimal fluff for your chapter. If you're looking to develop you chapter's fluff in great detail, it probably won't work and the Cursed or Dark Foundings are probably your best bet.

I'm in the same boat as you with my Jade Wolves. Really don't like the color scheme of the SW but I love the imagery and rules. I use them as my "I need a painting break" figures so the force is only slowly building and I haven't played with them yet. I'm a wee bit of a rogue though as the three chapters that I own with any paint on them in quantity set the fluff nazis off: female marines, loyalist traitors, & SW successors. I guess that it's a good thing that my current project, the all bike & LS Storm Riders, is very straight forward and won't offend anyone's sensibilities.
    Yes, there are female marines and my Sunhawks will let you know in a major way.

Not all the Emperors Children turned coat. We will redeem our name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

With my "Sons of Halsgard" Chapter, I came up with the idea that a newly "created" chapter would need to be watched by older, more official Chapters. In their case, the Space Wolves since culturally they are similar (with the Sons of Halsgard coming from a far more habitable group of wolrds) and since the Grimnar is more then a capable leader and knows the need for backup.

So the Sons of Halsgard, already half "germanic" in origin, gets cultural contamination for the Space Wolves leading to the same feel without really breaking the lore. I also field RunePriests in Space Wolf colours since the Halsgard men dont tend to develop psychic powers.

My point is, you can make a Space Wolf sort of chapter WITHOUT the space wolves. Remember the SPace Wolves are takeen from Germanic lore, a mix of the Saxons, the Vikings and probably the Goths and Franks as well. It would be easy enough to come up with a similar background and enough fact exists that one could differentiate (for example my troops first company are based on the Huscarls)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bah, this misses the point. I want Space Wolves... would it be fluffy to have a Great Pack/Company/Hunt of SWs with variant armour?
    "You're very interesting, and very perceptive. So interesting, and so perceptive, in fact, that we shall now fight with KNIVES!"
    -Moltar

"I've been dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long before you'll be dead!"
    -Space Ghost

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Unfortunately, as everyone has been saying- no, it's impossible to find any element of the army that is not painted gray. It's like trying to find a regiment of marines in Iraq that don't wear 'marpat' uniforms.
    Your only options are to create a new chapter or just turn a blind eye to the fluff and paint them in whatever color you want. The second option is total bunk, because once you change the uniform, you change the fluff and therefore the chapter.
    Unfortunately, even pre-heresy wolves were painted that color, so you can't pull it off. If you like the rules, and you like fluff, and you like the models, make a successor chapter. Either way, it's either gray armor, or written fluff. Sorry.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Bah, this misses the point. I want Space Wolves... would it be fluffy to have a Great Pack/Company/Hunt of SWs with variant armour?
    I say "most definitely!" Go with it.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Honestly no one is going to care if your space wolves are painted hot pink. Whatever works for you go for it.

But if you want the rules alone at most.....you can always field a space marine chapter of your own creation and play with Space Wolf rules. Nothing wrong or illegal at all with that.
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zephyr, you clearly haven't been on the receiving end of one of these discussions(either in person or online) with someone who is less open-minded than you seem to be. There actually are quite a few people who care about this. A number of them can be quite vociferous and a few down right rude. Be it female marines, loyalist traitors, or just grossly alternate color schemes, someone will be bothered.

Black Librarian, it seems as if you've already decided to do this and were merely looking for someone to tell you it's OK. It's been pointed out why it isn't but in the end, it's your army and you're the only one who has to be happy with it. If you've got thick skin and don't mind the comments you'll hear from time to time, go for it. If you care about what people think about your army and how it fits in to the 40K universe, you've only got two choices: a DIY chapter using SW rules with your chosen color scheme or grey SW.
    Yes, there are female marines and my Sunhawks will let you know in a major way.

Not all the Emperors Children turned coat. We will redeem our name.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast