Word Bearers Lieutenant fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

Word Bearers Lieutenant fluff

so I'm writing a piece of fiction concerning the Word Bearers, and my Dark Apostle is giving orders to his massive host. He has many lieutenants under him, but when he's addressing them does he call them a lieutenant? no marine has held that rank. does he call him a dark apostle? does he call him a captain?

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I'd personally avoid the issue completely and use the names of his lieutenants.

If a Lord is the equivelant of a chapter master, then it'll be the equivelant of 1 grand company for a Legion.

I guess that makes a lieutenant head of a company.. but i don't think chaos marines care much for codex principles.

There isn't much fluff documented for Word Bearers being into discipline that I remember. Alpha Legion, I can imagine seeing as they're well organised... I guess you can take it into your own hands and do what you wish with it. As long as you keep it consitent and believable.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

Well, I got this from the organization section of the Word Bearers Index Astartes:

"Alone amongst the Legions of Chaos, the Word Bearers maintain a facsimile of their former discipline and faith."

I want to maintain the look of military organization to make my guys seem more like an army with well developed characters rather than a band of pointlessly evil badguys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Sounds great.

A lot of people like the insane frothing at the mouth eating their own elbows chaos marines. but personally, I really like the 10,000 year old organised veteran side of it.

The chaos space marines are more elite than virtually any of the Loyalist chapters. They think their venerable dreadnoughts are old and wise, but it's our marines who put them in those dreads in the fist place.

And it's that which makes Chaos marines cooler than any race in 40K or fantasy and a lot of external fiction as well.

The fluff of the Chaos marines is unrivalled, so go for it. It'll be cool to see your results.
    LO Rules

Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I would think he'd talk to his Captains. While the Codex Entry lists them as Lts, that doesn't mean they have the rank of a Leiutenant. They can be anything, really, but Captains seem to be the proper term for someone close to the Dark Apostle.

Gonna punt this to the Army fluff section - maybe the Fluff Masters can help out more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

alright, thanks guys

and @ karmoon, if i wanted frothing at the mouth eating their own elbows i'd just play khorne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Given that this is word bearers we're talking about, it seems likely that each lieutenant has their own temple or cult opperating under the ageis of the lord's authority. I would have him refer to them by religious titles, perhaps 'apostle,' perhaps some generic title like 'deacon.'

'Organization' doesn't mean military organization.. The word bearers are more like a cult or crusade than an army.

@ karmoon, if i wanted frothing at the mouth eating their own elbows i'd just play khorne
    I'd say it's the the Slannesh ones you've got to watch out for.. Having your sensory input amplified thousands of times and wired directly into your brain.. Ouch.. that's going to drive you batshit in minutes.

Khorne marines on the other hand just go berserk once combat starts. Normally, they're at least semi lucid, other than an obvious desire to get back into battle and spill more blood for Khorne etc.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; February 11th, 2007 at 19:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

hmmmm that would work too mantis, but i think i like the idea of captains better. i could even throw in a sentence or two saying how the captains are aspiring apostles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I think that would be cool.

But I would defintiely include the religious aspect that the old and wise mantis told us about. You could replace captains with the Chaplains of each company or whatnot.

They can still act with military precision and efficiency, but I think you'd have to get a bit of that fire brand oratory of some Dark Apostle lecturing his marines on the virtues of Lorgar and how far from the true path the lackeys of the false emperor are.
    LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

do word bearers still call themselves chaplains?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast