Warp effect on eldar and dark eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Warp effect on eldar and dark eldar

Ok, so we have the fall. Eldar get soul stones to protect themselves from the power of warp gods of slaneesh and others wo might get too thirsty. Dark eldar choose the easy path and kill everhing living and drink their souls to replenish their constantly deteriorating life force.
    Both races including harlequins rely excessively on webway to travel, which is probably the most effective way to travel. However my question is about the eldar and dark eldar's ability to deal with effects of the warp.

From what I understand, the eldar seem to suffer more and more the closer they are to the eye of terror, dark eldar begin to loose their life force more quickly while eldar become more and more possessed aschaos keeps tainting their minds. Both races can travel through the warp thanks to their great technology but how can they possible survive the travel in a complete hostile territory. Many ships get lost in the warp and yet many succeed in traveling through it even though its full of chaotic manifestations that are eager to grab anything living in the warp.

The craftworld altanzar got sucked nto the warp and for years it fought off the hordes of chaos until it finally resurfaced with its occupants warn out and almost soulless from the constant grip of chaos gods. And yet they survived, but stil its unknown how they stayed alive this whole time.

And Ulth-we is a guardian of the eye of terror that monitors its actions, using the seers to block the taint away from the occupants of the craftword to keep them from being possessed.

Question is, can eldar and dark eldar heal their strength by relocating further and further away from the eye of terror. Technicaly speaking the eye has greater influence on things closer to it, such as imperium but eldar have the power and technology to travel further and further away, to the borders of the galaxy. Some alaitoc rangers survive for a very long time because they keep their distance from the eye of terror and thus have a miimal exposure to chaos taint.

Also, the chaos gods alter reality to confuse the minds of eldar and dark eldar alike, and can a strong mind with a strong sence of will resist this temptation?
    Has anyone seen of ever dueled a chaos god and lived to tell about it, I know some solitaires did and they were lucky to get away alive considering the fact that they had no soul.

And finaly, what exactly is inside the eye of terror, space with planets, or is it a portal into a different world where chaos gods rule. And do the wap storms act like a beacon through which chaos has the power to taint anything that the warp storm covers?

Last edited by WraithGuardian; February 11th, 2007 at 19:57.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

i am by no means an expert on eldar lore, but as to the last bit, i think that the eye is a bunch of planets in space, but as you go further and further into the eye the taint gets worse and worse as the line between the physical universe and the warp blur into one.

that's my take on it anyway

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The Eye of Terror is a huge section of space and planets caught in the grip of a constant self-sustaining warp storm (the Eye.) Hence reality and the Warp blur as the norm.

The way Eldar are caught by Chaos is if they're allowed to lose themselves in a particular field like their ancestors were; Eldar are naturally obsessive, so if they pursue one objective to excess, Chaos begins to taint them, and eventually they lose control and Slaanesh takes their soul. The only way to avoid this is with soul stones, as the Exarchs do, or the Farseers who turn their bodies into crystal and merge their minds with the infinity circuit.

I can't find any reference to Eldar becoming "weaker" as they get closer to the Eye. In fact, I'd imagine it would be easier for them to access their psychic powers, as the Warp is so close. It would become harder to avoid daemonic possession, although as far as I can tell Eldar are immune to daemonic possession, as it's never happened before.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

well eldar aren't immune to daemonic possession, because eldar can use the greater daemon adversaries special rule when fighting against daemonhunters

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    well eldar aren't immune to daemonic possession, because eldar can use the greater daemon adversaries special rule when fighting against daemonhunters
    That actually doesn't mean too much, because so can Tau, and Tau are blunts..

Eldar farseers are very hard to possess because of the way they use focusing runes to channel their powers. They're only ever in danger when using a rune or casting an effect which they haven't studied or practiced in sufficient depth.

The most likely eldar to get possessed, in my opinion, are going to be dark eldar psykers.. Normally, latent dark eldar psykers with exceptional powers are quickly identified and fed to Slannesh by their cuthroat brethren, but assuming one could survive it could become very dangerous.

Then, of course, there's the croneworlders, assuming they still exist, who are likely all mad, possessed freaks. (GW has never confirmed that they exist, but they were one of the army concepts rejected in Eye of Terror in favour of the Ulthwe strike force.)

And yes, to answer the original question, the closer dark eldar are to sources of warp energy the more rapidly their souls are consumed. This is why they hide in the webway most of the time. If they were to enter the eye of terror, it would have to be a fairly brief trip.

Craftworlders don't have that problem because of their soulstones.. In fact, there was an inquisitor scenario based on an eldar outpost within the eye of terror when the webway the gate leading to it had been reactivated.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; February 12th, 2007 at 14:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

As far as I know the Eldar try to avoid traveling through the Warp as much as possible, as the Webway is not actually part of the Warp.

Has anyone seen of ever dueled a chaos god and lived to tell about it, I know some solitaires did and they were lucky to get away alive considering the fact that they had no soul.
    I've never heard of this. Are you refering to the fluff in the new Codex that says the Solitaires belong to Slaanesh? If so, I think it was the Laughing God who dueled Slaanesh for their souls.

using the seers to block the taint away from the occupants of the craftword to keep them from being possessed.
    Can the Eldar actually be possessed? The only Eldar I have read about being tainted by Chaos is Ahra, the first Exarch of the Striking Scorpions.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    The most likely eldar to get possessed, in my opinion, are going to be dark eldar psykers.. Normally, latent dark eldar psykers with exceptional powers are quickly identified and fed to Slannesh by their cuthroat brethren, but assuming one could survive it could become very dangerous.
    Dark eldar have no psykers to begin with. All of the psykers that survived the fall were quickly killed and their souls concumed by others. Because unlike the soul of a normal warrior, those of psykers are extremely rich in energy and greatly rejuvenate the sipirit of the dark eldar who consumes it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    Dark eldar have no psykers to begin with. All of the psykers that survived the fall were quickly killed and their souls concumed by others. Because unlike the soul of a normal warrior, those of psykers are extremely rich in energy and greatly rejuvenate the sipirit of the dark eldar who consumes it.
    1. Eldar are a truly psychic race, so all eldar have psychic potential. It's only a question of those who begin to manifest it. Look at the craftworlders.. Everything from their communications systems to the ammo clips on their guns requires a degree of psychic control.

2. Yes, you're right, but that doesn't mean they have no psykers.. It means that dark eldar psykers who are identified are going to be imprisoned and have their souls extracted by the other dark eldar. This is why I made the reference to 'if a psyker could find some way to survive..' perhaps by hiding their powers, they could grow strong enough to become a danger to themselves.

+ Reply to Thread