space marine scout question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

space marine scout question

I have a Blood Raven marine army that has two close combat scout squads. They tend not to be as effective as I want them to be because they're only equipped with pistols and ccws. I want to add a vet. sergeant to each squad so I can take a power sword or power fist, but I'm having a little trouble with the idea that a scout could have a weapon like that when normal marines can't. My feeling is that if a normal, tactical marine couldn't wield a weapon then most likely a scout, even a scout sergeant, shouldn't be able to weild it either.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Well I'm not one to know a whole 'lot' about this, but I think that your own assertion is pretty correct in itself. If tactical marines can't use them, why could Scouts? - Also I'm not sure but aren't scouts usually Initiates rather than full fledged Space Marines?

Added to this, aren't they usually weaker, and due to their lack of complete power armour, wouldn't it make them less resistant to melee?

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

Scouts have the same stat line as Marines, the only difference is that they have a 4+ save, not a 3+. I'm using them as cc troops because regular marines can't take a bolt pistol and ccw and because scouts can infiltrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Adahn View Post
    Also I'm not sure but aren't scouts usually Initiates rather than full fledged Space Marines?

Added to this, aren't they usually weaker, and due to their lack of complete power armour, wouldn't it make them less resistant to melee?
    Ooohh no! Not this debate again. If you don't know what I'm talking about, there was a discussion not long ago on the "position" Scouts held withing a SM chapter. Personally, I side with the notion that the are very skilled warriors, more so than standard marines, because the purpose they serve is so vital. You don't send the noobs out on Recon, their noobs, they'll be killed!! And in the SW army, specifically, they are an Elite choice and described as "experienced and ferocious warriors". The idea of a Scout Veteran w/a PW/PF follows the notion that those types of weapons are a most sacred and revered weapons. Let's not forget, even the standard Bolter("Holy Bolter") is described as a "rare and treasured weapon".
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is a reason to play blood angles. They don't use their newest recuits for scout squads but rather their most fierce close quarters fighters. Thus a powerfist or a powersword fits the fluff just fine... :yes:
    "The ones with lingon och skit" - Andusciassus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

The ones who lead the Scouts have to be hardened veterans and capable trainers. Who do you put in charge of leading the noobs? One of your best! Scout Sgts are the same rank as normal Vet Sgts, if not higher up, and of course they have access to the armory.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Ah well that makes sense ^^ I always wondered why in Dawn of War they were easy pickens. - I suppose it was a mis-calculation on the part of Relic on that. It WOULD make sense that they're elite, smarter and much more adept at infiltration and general espionage than the standard Marine.

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

397 (x6)

I think that makes sense. I'll find some way to incorporate the color scheme of my verteran marines into the paint on my two scout veteran sergeants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Scouts are simply Space Marines who have completed their training and possess all the implants except the Black Carapace, as they haven't earned the right to wear power armour. The recon missions they are sent on are actually relatively low-risk; in gameplay, this is inverted entirely, as they infiltrate the closest to the enemy and players tend to use them as cannon fodder or screening, which is completely juxtaposed to their actual purpose. They're sent in to size up the enemy position and then retreat to let the main force arrive.

On that note, Chapters vary in their usage of Scouts: Space Wolf Scouts, for example, aren't new recruits at all, but highly trained and experienced espionage agents who take carapace armour as a necessity rather than because they're not allowed to use it. Blood Angels Scouts are, due to the Chapter's love of the melee, expected to prove their worth in close combat, where the weak are weeded out far quicker. Black Templars have an entirely different system, relying on a mentor/student relationship and hence mixed squads.

Additionally, Veteran Scout Sergeants are full Battle Brothers who have opted, through inability or actual desire, to wear carapace armour and lead the newer recruits into battle. So it's entirely logical for them to possess the same power weapons they may have as a veteran battle brother. There is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't, especially since the Veteran trait actually means Terminator Honours, which implies they've also served in the 1st Company wearing Terminator armour - which, you'll note, incorporates a power weapon anyway.

So, counterintuitively, a Veteran Scout Sergeant is actually going to be more experienced than a full Tactical Marine. Go figure.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Who do you put in charge of leading the noobs?
    I think you underestimate the skill of Scouts. They are in no way, shape, or form noobs. Of course, I think the US Army Rangers send out their noobs as snipers and scouts, right?
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast