Word Bearers story, part ten - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

Word Bearers story, part ten

After much delay, here it is.

Gadeus Lorn, Captain of the Dominus Invictus, fought to regain his stance as the enemy bombers rained a hail of fire against the hull of his ship. He grabbed hold of the guardrail and hauled himself towards a control panel; the man who had been at that station was now lying on the floor with a large fragment of glass stuck in his head.

He grabbed hold of the vox unit and shouted into it, “All fighters have clearance to launch! Get out there now!”

Lorn turned to his second-in-command, Commander Herona Albright, once again forcing himself to ignore her immense beauty and treat her as his executive officer.

“Commander Albright, man this station. I need you relaying orders to the rest of this ship now!”
    Albright sat herself at the vox control unit, allowing Lorn to resume his position at the center of the control room. The enemy fleet had closed in on his fleet, taking him by surprise and launching a ferocious assault that had already cost him several of his cruisers.

“Captain Lorn,” one of the technicians said as he turned around in his seat. “The enemy fleet is trying to reach us.”

“Patch him through,” Lorn answered.

A face appeared on the holo screen and Lorn glared at the image of the space marine captain. He had close-cropped blonde hair and a pair of dull blue eyes that matched the intensity of Lorn’s gaze. Like many inexperienced fleet commanders, the marine’s face was relatively unscarred, but Lorn knew that the lack of facials scars meant nothing in this case; Space Marine navy captains were without a doubt some of the best captains in the Imperium.

“This is Captain Garron Tremolt of the Lightbringers space marine Chapter. I hereby order you to power down your ships and submit yourselves to the mercy of the Emperor. Failure to comply will be met with brutal force.”

The right corner of Lorn’s mouth turned upwards in a crooked smile as he chuckled lightly in the face of the space marine’s demands.

“Captain Tremolt, you know full well that I cannot and will not surrender this fleet to men such as yourself. We follow the word of Lorgar, may his name resound throughout the warp, and none of his servants will ever bow to you. Simply put, my dear captain, go **** yourself.”

With that Lorn ended the transmission and turned back to his crew. The Lightbringers have dared to match their fleet against ours. In the name of the Chaos Gods, we will make them pay for their mistake. Charge the forward batteries and power up the engines. Target the Unyielding Flame and fire for full effect. Albright, patch me through to the fleet commanders.”

“Yes sir!” Albright responded as her fingers flew over the communication console. Within seconds the faces of every captain in Lorn’s fleet were displayed across the holoscreen.

“Gentlemen,” Lorn began, “The enemy fleet outnumbers us, but we have the defensive advantage. Hera, Pago, Clarence, Dulmus, your cruisers will aim for the Pride and the Justice. The remaining cruisers will concentrate fire on the Liturgy. Josten, I want the Abominor covering the rear. We don’t have the Viscus so I want the Rector, Nex, and Umbra in position behind the Dominus Invictus. Scramble all fighters and move to engage the enemy. This is gonna be a tough one, captains.”

Lorn clasped his hands at the small of his back and stared into the space ahead of the Dominus Invictus. In the distance he saw the Lightbringers fleet arrayed in a line, preparing to engage the Word Bearers vessels. Fighters swarmed around the space marine ships like insects around fruit as the bombers began to launch from the launch bays. It was indeed going to be a difficult battle, but Lorn felt that with the right tactics he might be able to outwit the space marine captain.

The first flashes of enemy fire erupted as the space marines began to launch a vicious salvo at the Word Bearers. Their fighters came next, followed by their bombers, in an attempt to do as much damage as possible to the Word Bearers flagship.

“Weapons, target those bombers with the flak cannons!” Lorn bellowed. “Fire the forward lance batteries at the Unyielding Flame! I want to do as much damage as possible to that ship before we’re within its range!”

Superheated light flashed towards the battle barge, raking across its prows but doing little damage at such long range. The flak cannons launched salvos of metal around the Dominus Invictus, shredding enemy fighters and bombers with relative ease. There was little either fleet could do at this range.

“Close the distance with enemy! Bring us alongside the right flank!” Lorn shouted at the engines operators. “Weapons, prepare for a full broadside on my command! Albright, tell the grand cruisers to attack the battle barge’s underside at the specified weak points in the armor! I want those marines sucking on vacuum, and I want it done now!”

Warning klaxons reverberated throughout the bridge as enemy torpedoes snaked towards the Dominus Invictus. “Brace for impact!” Lorn shouted as he grasped the guardrail once more.

“Sir!” one of the radar technicians shouted over the sirens. “We have detected multiple enemy signatures emerging from the warp underneath our location! Two of them are Ultramarines vessels, sir, and they’ve brought something big with them! Sensors cannot detect what it is!”

As Lorn looked into the holo screen he knew that all hopes of defeating the Lightbringers had been thrown out the window. In tow behind the Ultramarines strike cruisers was a gigantic space fort. It was connected to several Imperial cruisers, which dragged it towards the Word Bearers with ponderous speed.

“We have little time to waste,” Lorn said quietly. “Surrender is not an option and the Ultramarines are closing in fast. Take out that Lightbringers battle barge now and make our deaths count for something.”

The Word Bearers fleet powered forward, expending all reserve fuel in order to close ranks with the Lightbringers before the Ultramarines could attack.

“Weapons, open fire! Engines, execute combat maneuver beta fifty-four now!”

The Dominus Invictus went into a barrel role, spreading the weapons fire of the Unyielding Flame across all sections of the Dominus Invictus’ hull while presenting the maximum amount of return fire. Explosions rippled across both ships as the Rector, Nex, and Umbra fired salvos of their own. The Dominus Invictus shuddered as the enemy scored a powerful blow and Lorn could’ve sworn he heard the ship groan in pain. The lights flickered on and off in the bridge as the crew attempted to reroute power to the bridge.

“Helms, how are we doing?” Lorn asked.

“We’ve taken seventy-percent damage to our engines sir. It seems the bombers were able to penetrate our flak defenses.”

“Tell me something I don’t know,” Lorn answered sarcastically.

“Starboard weapons are prepared for another salvo,” an ensign called out in the darkness.

“Fire away,” Lorn ordered absentmindedly. The ship was functioning on emergency life support and Lorn knew it was only a matter of time before that too was destroyed. There was a loud cracking noise as the Unyielding Flame fired yet another ferocious barrage into the crippled ship. Lorn watched out the bridge’s main window as his ship’s weapons wreaked havoc upon the Lightbringers’ hull. The flickering of the lights stopped as the last of the electrical system died.

“Captain Josten,” Lorn practically whispered as he picked up the vox unit, “If you can hear me, get out of here. Someone has to warn the Dusk Phantoms of the Imperial presence here.”

At that moment Lorn was knocked to his knees as an explosion tore through the bridge.

“Hull breach!” a voice shouted, but the source seemed to be so far away. Lorn tried to pull himself to his feet, but found that he was unable to. When he looked down he saw why; his legs were lying on the command deck several feet away from him.

Commander Albright leapt from her chair and moved to Lorn’s command chair. She tugged the key from her breast pocket and rammed it home, opening a hatch in the middle of Lorn’s control panel. She slammed her fist down on the glass, breaking through it and slicing her skin in the process, but she grunted through the damage and pressed down on the red button beneath the crystalline surface. Warning klaxons sounded once more throughout the ship as the remaining power overloaded the engine, triggering the powerful self-destruct mechanism.

Albright’s perfect frame, shining hair, and beautiful face caught fire as explosions gutted the Dominus Invictus, bursting outwards in a terrible cloud of potency. The crew died instantly and the explosions expanded, engulfing the Unyielding Flame in a deadly embrace.

Aboard the Lightbringers flagship, it was the first time the young scouts of the tenth company ever heard a space marine cry out in pain. The hull imploded inwards, fragments of it tearing through the vital systems and corridors. Life pods were launched, but they could do little in the face of such brutal destruction. When the flames finally died down, both the Unyielding Flame and the Dominus Invictus were blackened hulks devoid of all signs of life.

The Abominor’s engines flared as it entered the warp, leaving the scene of utter defeat behind it. Josten knew that if any man were to defeat the Imperial fleet, it would be Desmond, and he simply had to be forewarned.

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Oh man... I didn't expect it one bit... poor Gadeus. I really liked that character, man now that's what it really means to die loyalty for what you believe in... *sniff* And the Dominus Invinctus too... those Lightbringer bastards will pay dearly.

Man this just FLARES ME UP.

- Great story though *sniff* if sad. I was hoping that when he realized he lost his legs he could have still been saved, maybe with some Chaos Energies or something... damn I can't believe it's really gone...

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love this story like all the rest plz never ever stop writing them plz.
    Chaos is a decison not a life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

thanks guys. as long as i have the drive, there's more to come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x3)

Hey, 10th Lyran, yet another great chapter of Word Bearer-e-ness (even if it was all in space). When can we expect to meet up with Captain Jerome Larson and the Commissar?

On a side note, you're neck in neck with Adahn for number of chapters pumped out!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

yeah, but he's written at least three times the material i have. adahn is insane :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Well Insane Adahn has yet to finish chapter 10 ^^ So hold on to your butts for the climactic ending of Part I - Dissent! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

this is where i must call upon the help of fluffmasters across this forum. after the 13th black crusade, what captains are leading the ultramarines companies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

You might just wanna make a separate thread. Or if you don't want to create any bulk, just send Xerxes a message, what's what I do when I need a difficult but straightforward answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

well since i already asked the question on here, it would be spamming if i asked it elsewhere

+ Reply to Thread