Several Warp Questions, if you please... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Several Warp Questions, if you please...

Alright, I've been pondering some questions dealing with the warp... Mostly to do with the Tyranid 'Shadow of the Warp'/'Hive Mind', but a few others.

1. The Tyranids can block off communications/travel through the warp by filling it up with the 'Hive Mind'. I was wondering, what effect does the Hive Mind have on the Webway? Does it rip it apart, surge around it, etc...?

2. What about Tau 'warp' travel, how is it effected? Considering they don't actually -enter- the warp, they sort of skim along the top of it.

3. What happens to ships that try to travel through the Shadow of the Warp? Destroyed, tossed back into real space, infested with Tyranids...?

4. What would happen if the 'Shadow of the Warp' collided with the Eye of Terror? Would one cancel out the other? And could the warp storms and such other such phenomena incited by rituals affect the Hive Mind, as in disrupt it?

(Sorry if those are in the Nidz' codex, there wasn't one at the store we have)

Moving on from the Tyranids...

5. Do the C'tan have souls in the Warp?

"My capacity for hard work is immense. It's my willingness to do said work that's lacking..."

Fluffmaster Clan Member

Shas'El A'ava Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot - Tau Fluff HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCurly View Post
    2. What about Tau 'warp' travel, how is it effected? Considering they don't actually -enter- the warp, they sort of skim along the top of it.
    Think of a rock skipping on a pond. They can't navigate it so they just pop in and out making quick jumps.

3. What happens to ships that try to travel through the Shadow of the Warp? Destroyed, tossed back into real space, infested with Tyranids...?
    I could be wrong, but I believe that they just leave the warp.

4. What would happen if the 'Shadow of the Warp' collided with the Eye of Terror? Would one cancel out the other? And could the warp storms and such other such phenomena incited by rituals affect the Hive Mind, as in disrupt it?
    I don't think any tyranid force has come close yet. Thats like trying to shadow out the sun. Very difficult.

No. They are the anti-warp. Chaos < C'tan. They don't even have souls, they're just pure personified energy.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

1I was wondering, what effect does the Hive Mind have on the Webway? Does it rip it apart, surge around it, etc...?
    The Webway is completely cut off from the Warp proper, with little or no contact with it. The Hive Mind wouldn't be able to reach it, but I doubt it would provide much of an obstacle, if it would register at all.

They do short dips in and out... think of it less as skimming stones and more like jumping into a fast-flowing river, letting it carry you for a few seconds or minutes, and then climbing out again. I'd imagine that the 'nids would make such travel impossible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

1. The Tyranids can block off communications/travel through the warp by filling it up with the 'Hive Mind'. I was wondering, what effect does the Hive Mind have on the Webway? Does it rip it apart, surge around it, etc...?
    I'll use one of my handy-handy metaphors.

- Think of the Warp as an open expanse of relatively flat land, but full of pitfalls and dangers.
    - The Webway is a closed-off, walled highway system running through this open expanse of land, allowing those inside safe passage for the otherwise perilous journey.
    - The Shadow in the Warp is (as the name suggests) like an eclipse of the sun whilst travelling across that expanse of land, rendering it pitch black and making safe navigation impossible.
    - Since the Webway is closed off, it won't be affected, since the Shadow only really affects navigation and the Webway is a fixed lane - all you have to do is follow it.

They navigate with computers, which presumably aren't connected to the warp. I think they just use the "warp-skimming" to attain faster-than-light speeds safely, like hugging the coastline while sailing. Since the Shadow is just a huge consciousness blocking out warp communication and navigation, I presume they'd skim on the sides of it.

Then again, all current Hive Fleets are far away from the Tau Empire, so the situation has never been explored.

If they had a half-competent Navigator, they'd avoid it because what it is is a massive blank space where navigation is impossible. If they got caught in it, they'd be lost in the warp instantly, so the best option would be to disengage beforehand, in which case they're caught in the oncoming path of a Tyranid horde.

Well...this would necessitate the Hive Mind actually moving into the Eye of Terror, which is pretty much suicide for any huge fleet. And since they aren't suppressing the Warp, just shrouding it...they'd be torn apart by the warp storm.

Although, if you did want to get technical; Tigurius is the Ultramarine's most powerful psyker and he managed to pierce the Shadow in the Warp. I think the Chaos Gods are a little bit more powerful than Tigurius, Staff of Hellfire or no.

Nope. No souls at all. They eat life-force, or bio-electricity or something.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Very good metaphor there Poodle...

So if the C'tan don't have souls, does that make them like Pariahs or is it slightly different?
    "My capacity for hard work is immense. It's my willingness to do said work that's lacking..."

Fluffmaster Clan Member

Shas'El A'ava Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot - Tau Fluff HERE

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Pariah's don't compare much to the C'tan. They both lack souls, but pariahs are a psychic null. Pariahs can't be touched by the psychic, but a C'tan would be destroyed by the warp. I think the necrons implanted the humans with the pariah gene so that when they red harvest comes, they have something to stop the psychers.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

To chime in with my two cents on the shadow in the warp.

The shadow is cast because of the massed amount of psychic energy represented by the tyranid hive mind, that we all know.

The shadow, in my opinion however, represents a giant field of 'empty' presented by the hive mind, which is why it interferes with usual warp-related stuff like psychic powers and the astronomican. Essentially, the hive mind, while having a purpose, lacks the emotional or dare we say 'sentient' investment needed for a true warp presence.

Thus its sort of like a giant white sheet cast over the tumult of the warp.

Hence why you rarely get any demons possessing tyranids, the individual nid doesn't really have anything flavorful. The hive mind is like one giant vat of stale, inedible gruel to the average warp entity. They can transverse through the warp with little trouble, because the warp finds them distasteful.

No angst. No lust. No malice. Only pure, animal hunger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The Shadow in the Warp is basically white noise. Just mindless static, a huge warp presence without any real coherence that just swamps anything else that isn't loud enough to drown it out.

Also, I believe the main difference between Pariahs and C'Tan is that Pariahs are physical creatures without a warp presence (the "soul") whereas C'Tan are entirely formless and exist in another plane of reality. If the Warp is unreal, the C'Tan are super-real - they're so in line with the natural physical laws of the universe that souls were never even a necessary concept, whereas in the Pariah the absence is notable.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Yeah I have a question I'd like to add to the pile if that's possible... - what about the forces of Chaos?

For instance, the Word Bearers - can they travel freely through the Daemon-infested Warp without getting mauled by those abyssal creatures thanks to their alignment with the Chaos Gods?

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Er. Yes, since they have the blessings of the Chaos Gods; otherwise, any of the usual "problems" associating by unshielded warp travel (daemons manifesting every, wild mutations, whole sections of the hull ceasing to obey the laws of physics) won't actually be problems to the Word Bearers, who welcome such pure examples of the God's glory.

I mean, whole legions of Marines exist purely inside the Warp unharmed. It'd be pretty silly if Chaos demands one's alliegance and then lets you and your hundred-thousand-strong battlefleet get eaten by some random uber-Bloodthirster while making a routine fly-over at Sepris Prime.

+ Reply to Thread